What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
ive said it before...

why don't they knock down the hill at Mt smart & build a stand there , an open one
( cheaper) like the other end or one with a roof like the one facing the camera.
All that space is wasted. The capacity of the venue then goes up to 32 to 35K then.
Would be a cracking little venue too
They’ve been talking about a brand new stadium for union and league.

It's Been Done

Juniors
ive said it before...

why don't they knock down the hill at Mt smart & build a stand there , an open one
( cheaper) like the other end or one with a roof like the one facing the camera.
All that space is wasted. The capacity of the venue then goes up to 32 to 35K then.
Would be a cracking little venue too
There's plans on turning Mt Smart into a Speedway once Western Springs is renovated for Cricket and the Warriors will either move to a new stadium with the Blues in the City or a renovated Eden Park

T-Boon

Coach
Oh FFS
where did the " safety " report say we needed a 45K seat stadium that based on the old one would be filled about 5 times in 10 years ?
A parramatta stadium sized venue of 30K & 500 million dollars saved would have sufficed

like I said
seems govts don't care about how many times it'll be filled against the cost
Once the NRL expands into the Sydney eastern suburbs and drops this obsession with only being for the working & lower classes the more probable it becomes that roosters, Rabbitohs and others get 35k plus.

siv

First Grade
I would like to see how the pub pre-game style atmosphere can be brought into the ground on game days

These locations offer tables, tv screens and set menu food cooked fresh

Offer venues the option of running this within the perimeter between the SFS & SCG and northern and end of Homebush allowing it to be ooen to the public on non game days but stadium only in game days. Southern end should be a 40m x 40m kids touch footy field and events zone with a tv screen where face painting etc occurs

I would expand the western Homebush training area to be a proper players warm up field

TheRam

Coach
In regards to stadiums and where the NRLW competition should be played and when.

My ultimate grand plan for the women's comp would be something like this. I would lobby all State governments to fund and build new all seater and under cover stadiums around the 10K-12K capacity mark.

So in other words I would try and get Sydney at least 4(North, South, East and West) stadiums and next to train stations and amenities of course. Two in Brisbane, one on the Gold Coast and one in NQLD. One in Canberra, One in New Castle, One in Melbourne and finally one in Auckland to cover all the teams. Obviously this will take some time and effort but the end result would be awesome.

Also being so small the land necessary would be much smaller and therefore easier to come by in great strategically advantageous locations that are impossible for us to get for the larger stadiums. Locations like Chatswood Park and if we got really, really lucky Prince Alfred Park next to Central Station in Sydney.

Imagine if we had strategically placed small and intimate boutique quality stadiums that represented the girls game in a very classy and professional way that they could sell and promote to the fans and media networks alike that just does not exist currently in this country like the images I show below?

We aren't talking about hundreds of millions of dollars for each of these types of small stadiums. Remember they are all around 10K-12K capacity. These sorts of Stadiums are priced at under $50m-$60m each at the higher end with all the bells and whistles. So they are very affordable. We just need the right type of business plan to justify them to state Governments. Which should not be all that hard to do considering that so many other tiers of the sport like State Cups and other codes like Soccer and Rugby lower comps could and would love to use them too or even for some of their 1st tier games as well.

In fact they would by shear quality, size and location be the most in demand stadiums in the country. Sounds to ambitious? Sure to most small minded and limited aspirational Australians it may well be, but to people that have vision and dare to dream it is the very least we should be aiming for.

Some may say that these stadiums are to small and are putting a cap on the NRLW of ever getting larger crowds, but I say realistically over the next 30 odd years at least, the women's game would be doing really, really well if it was consistently selling out 10K-12K stadiums. Remember for the odd blockbuster game or Final, they could move it to the larger Stadiums anyway if they though it would be needed.

But by having these types of classy and stylish mini stadiums it makes the women's game cool and sexy for all the fans that go and allows them to be so much closer and personal to the action and the players will only thrive in such and environment.

What I would do then is start their season during the mens NRL Semi Final time and continuing after the Mens Grand Final all the way into late November if not December. I would have all the teams play one round against each other then the Semis and finally the GF. Also somewhere in between that or after the GF, I would add the WSOO 3 game series to be played at Parra Stadium or NQLD stadiums and any internationals that are planed in any given year, which could also be scheduled in the most appropriate sized stadium deemed necessary.

This way the NRLW doesn't over saturate the already busy NRL schedule and those first few rounds are during the NRL's semi finals when there are way less games to watch so there will be no major issue with time slots scheduling or over saturation. Then we can also sell the rights to the NRLW on its own merits in a great and positive light, one that the broadcasters like more then anything and that is, great small stadiums that are full of colour and happily screaming fans that present brilliantly on TV and are an easy sell.

Obviously this is a proposal that can be adjusted where necessary to fine tune it or adjust it for any changing season's scheduling that may create new obstacles that maybe necessary to work around for. But overall this is the type of long term planning that our leaders should be thinking about and working towards.

But I bet none have this type of vision or ambition and will somehow try to shoehorn the NRLW as is into the scheduling really badly and keep stuffing it up telling us all it is oh so vey hard.

1656296278658.png

1656301197528.png

Iamback

Coach
In regards to stadiums and where the NRLW competition should be played and when.

My ultimate grand plan for the women's comp would be something like this. I would lobby all State governments to fund and build new all seater and under cover stadiums around the 10K-12K capacity mark.

So in other words I would try and get Sydney at least 4(North, South, East and West) stadiums and next to train stations and amenities of course. Two in Brisbane, one on the Gold Coast and one in NQLD. One in Canberra, One in New Castle, One in Melbourne and finally one in Auckland to cover all the teams. Obviously this will take some time and effort but the end result would be awesome.

Also being so small the land necessary would be much smaller and therefore easier to come by in great strategically advantageous locations that are impossible for us to get for the larger stadiums. Locations like Chatswood Park and if we got really, really lucky Prince Alfred Park next to Central Station in Sydney.

Imagine if we had strategically placed small and intimate boutique quality stadiums that represented the girls game in a very classy and professional way that they could sell and promote to the fans and media networks alike that just does not exist currently in this country like the images I show below?

We aren't talking about hundreds of millions of dollars for each of these types of small stadiums. Remember they are all around 10K-12K capacity. These sorts of Stadiums are priced at under $50m-$60m each at the higher end with all the bells and whistles. So they are very affordable. We just need the right type of business plan to justify them to state Governments. Which should not be all that hard to do considering that so many other tiers of the sport like State Cups and other codes like Soccer and Rugby lower comps could and would love to use them too or even for some of their 1st tier games as well.

In fact they would by shear quality, size and location be the most in demand stadiums in the country. Sounds to ambitious? Sure to most small minded and limited aspirational Australians it may well be, but to people that have vision and dare to dream it is the very least we should be aiming for.

Some may say that these stadiums are to small and are putting a cap on the NRLW of ever getting larger crowds, but I say realistically over the next 30 odd years at least, the women's game would be doing really, really well if it was consistently selling out 10K-12K stadiums. Remember for the odd blockbuster game or Final, they could move it to the larger Stadiums anyway if they though it would be needed.

But by having these types of classy and stylish mini stadiums it makes the women's game cool and sexy for all the fans that go and allows them to be so much closer and personal to the action and the players will only thrive in such and environment.

What I would do then is start their season during the mens NRL Semi Final time and continuing after the Mens Grand Final all the way into late November if not December. I would have all the teams play one round against each other then the Semis and finally the GF. Also somewhere in between that or after the GF, I would add the WSOO 3 game series to be played at Parra Stadium or NQLD stadiums and any internationals that are planed in any given year, which could also be scheduled in the most appropriate sized stadium deemed necessary.

This way the NRLW doesn't over saturate the already busy NRL schedule and those first few rounds are during the NRL's semi finals when there are way less games to watch so there will be no major issue with time slots scheduling or over saturation. Then we can also sell the rights to the NRLW on its own merits in a great and positive light, one that the broadcasters like more then anything and that is, great small stadiums that are full of colour and happily screaming fans that present brilliantly on TV and are an easy sell.

Obviously this is a proposal that can be adjusted where necessary to fine tune it or adjust it for any changing season's scheduling that may create new obstacles that maybe necessary to work around for. But overall this is the type of long term planning that our leaders should be thinking about and working towards.

But I bet none have this type of vision or ambition and will somehow try to shoehorn the NRLW as is into the scheduling really badly and keep stuffing it up telling us all it is oh so vey hard.

View attachment 63073

View attachment 63074

It does need a plan moving forward. to make the best of a growing competition

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely it would be cheaper and give them more exposure to play as the first game on the NRL schedule? Gives fans better value for money and the ladies opportunity to play in front of a crowd. I cant see 10k turning out for NRLW on its own anytime soon. Of course would help if we weren't playing at sht times like 6pm on a Friday!

Iamback

Coach
Surely it would be cheaper and give them more exposure to play as the first game on the NRL schedule? Gives fans better value for money and the ladies opportunity to play in front of a crowd. I cant see 10k turning out for NRLW on its own anytime soon. Of course would help if we weren't playing at sht times like 6pm on a Friday!

Cheaper yes but how does the game get the exposure needed to go professional?

Most timeslots would clash with the mens games so getting live coverage will be hard. As will getting seperate memberships.

It is a tough spot to be in

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cheaper yes but how does the game get the exposure needed to go professional?

Most timeslots would clash with the mens games so getting live coverage will be hard. As will getting seperate memberships.

It is a tough spot to be in
I doubt it is ever going to generate the revenue independently to be FT professional tbh. And that's ok, it is something the NRL should be using its revenue to support as it has wider benefits and ROI than just making money. We will soon have mostly modern new 30k plus stadiums with e3xtra capacity than the mens team can fill. If adding womens games helps add a few thousand more to the game day crowd thats a good utilisation of existing infrastructure without trying to convince govt's to spend hundreds of millions more on small stadiums.

Iamback

Coach
I doubt it is ever going to generate the revenue independently to be FT professional tbh. And that's ok, it is something the NRL should be using its revenue to support as it has wider benefits and ROI than just making money. We will soon have mostly modern new 30k plus stadiums with e3xtra capacity than the mens team can fill. If adding womens games helps add a few thousand more to the game day crowd thats a good utilisation of existing infrastructure without trying to convince govt's to spend hundreds of millions more on small stadiums.

I posted elsewhere. lets say players get $100k each x 30 players is $3m a side per year.
10 teams is $30m just on wages alone

That is a huge hit if nothing is coming back in from it. If the clubs/NRL can get back atleast half that it could be viable. Finding the best comp structure is the hard part

Perth Red

Post Whore
I posted elsewhere. lets say players get $100k each x 30 players is $3m a side per year.
10 teams is $30m just on wages alone

That is a huge hit if nothing is coming back in from it. If the clubs/NRL can get back atleast half that it could be viable. Finding the best comp structure is the hard part
yeh, probably why there isnt many FT womens sports? Even in netball which would be the biggest womens sport the salaries only range from $34k up to $91k. It wasnt disclosed how much fox paid for supernetball but given NRLW is unlikely to generate any new subscribers you'd think the tv rights would be minimal. Maybe playing it Nov-Feb on a night would give more value to Kayo to retain subscribers though?

I suppose in theory the comp could get in around $5mill national sponsorship plus around $500k-1mill a team which would be half that salary cost. Pokie dens are happy to throw $5mil at the mens team, I guess they will chip in here as well.

Iamback

Coach
yeh, probably why there isnt many FT womens sports? Even in netball which would be the biggest womens sport the salaries only range from $34k up to $91k. It wasnt disclosed how much fox paid for supernetball but given NRLW is unlikely to generate any new subscribers you'd think the tv rights would be minimal. Maybe playing it Nov-Feb on a night would give more value to Kayo to retain subscribers though?

I suppose in theory the comp could get in around $5mill national sponsorship plus around $500k-1mill a team which would be half that salary cost. Pokie dens are happy to throw $5mil at the mens team, I guess they will chip in here as well.

It is the problem with playing catch up. Trying to fast track what took Mens comps decades to do. Sports are trying to do in mere years.

That seems the best option. Allows clubs to run sponsorship and memberships seperately.

Gives stadiums and TV more usage

Timbo

Staff member
There's plans on turning Mt Smart into a Speedway once Western Springs is renovated for Cricket and the Warriors will either move to a new stadium with the Blues in the City or a renovated Eden Park

What's actually happening with the Western Springs for cricket plan? I feel like I've been hearing it for ages, and so much actually hinges on it because of the stakes Auckland Cricket and New Zealand Cricket have at Eden Park. At the moment the T20Is and ODIs they play there each summer account for a huge chunk of Cricket NZ's gate revenue.

They won't relinquish their rights to Eden Park until they've got a replacement in place.