What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

siv

First Grade
I doubt from a legal basis the NRL nor any club can stop them linking up. It would be classified as a restraint of trade and thrown out as it goes against the Australian Constitution.
NRL could say they dont want non NRL clubs in their NRL reserve grade competition

Lets remember these clubs only exist in the NSWRL comp because the NSWRL only wanted non NRL clubs at one time and pushed NRL clubs to setup feeder arrangements in the first place. Most NSW NRL clubs dropped this and evolved back to their normal 3 grade structure since the end of NYC

I can understand that the better Parramatta & Penrith A grade clubs want something more than A grade. But that always was 2nd division. Qld Cup structure of City based and regional rep teams would be the correct way to evolve this 2nd division comp

Valheru

Coach
Again why would they not pay? They will have 3 new stadiums by then. Accor which would of hosted the Womens WC final for soccer a few years earlier. Chosen by an equally money hungry Organisation purely on the fact it is rectangle

The RWC final being played anywhere other than Sydney is pure fantasy. What the motives are of those obsessed with the notion it will be elsewhere, I don't know.. but it will be in Sydney.

I mean, the GPS schools and the corporate partners will probably cough up as much cash as any state government to have it in Sydney. RA trying to get some improvement at homebush is posturing and if it works all the better for rugby league.

Iamback

Coach
The RWC final being played anywhere other than Sydney is pure fantasy. What the motives are of those obsessed with the notion it will be elsewhere, I don't know.. but it will be in Sydney.

I mean, the GPS schools and the corporate partners will probably cough up as much cash as any state government to have it in Sydney. RA trying to get some improvement at homebush is posturing and if it works all the better for rugby league.

Don't get me wrong. I would love Accor to get fixed up but realistically, It really is needed for 5 times a year. This current plan is much better in that regard

Jamberoo

Juniors
Didn't seem to look out of place hosting the olympics
Any stadium when full looks good on the TV. Some reasons why it is not world class, other than the usual ones of the location, sitelines, etc. Happy to compare to MCG.
- You have to walk up one million stairs to get to the top level. Then down then up again to get food and drinks. The MCG has escalators and elevators.
- Food and drink options very 1990s still - queue then go back to your seat. MCG has lots of internal bars, and multiple areas like food courts where you can grab a table and sit before the game or at half time, with big screens everywhere.
- It is not properly maintained. for example, last time I was there (2017 GF) I noticed rust everywhere, e.g. on beams supporting roof. I am sure it is superficial and not structural, but it presents as very shabby. MCG is schmick.
- It has a distinct lack of atmosphere, even with a big crowd. MCG, like Suncorp, Adelaide Oval, is loud.
- Playing arena is too big for rectangular sports and too small for AFL.

You can't compare the experience of changing trains for long haul to Homebush then straight home after to walking through the park from the CBD or Richmond station to the MCG (or AAMI for that matter), with 100+ eating/drinking options within walking distance.

You Sydneysiders don't know what you are missing. Hopefully the new SFS has everything that Homebush lacks.

MCG is absolutely world class for AFL & Cricket, not for RL or soccer. Or concerts as it is way too big. It has been one of the world's great stadiums for over 100 years. Homebush was great for Olympics, but ordinary for all other sports. We all know that.

Thank god the IOC are now happy with 50K stadiums so that host cities don't have to repeat the mistakes of Homebush.

Iamback

Coach
Any stadium when full looks good on the TV. Some reasons why it is not world class, other than the usual ones of the location, sitelines, etc. Happy to compare to MCG.
- You have to walk up one million stairs to get to the top level. Then down then up again to get food and drinks. The MCG has escalators and elevators.
- Food and drink options very 1990s still - queue then go back to your seat. MCG has lots of internal bars, and multiple areas like food courts where you can grab a table and sit before the game or at half time, with big screens everywhere.
- It is not properly maintained. for example, last time I was there (2017 GF) I noticed rust everywhere, e.g. on beams supporting roof. I am sure it is superficial and not structural, but it presents as very shabby. MCG is schmick.
- It has a distinct lack of atmosphere, even with a big crowd. MCG, like Suncorp, Adelaide Oval, is loud.

You can't compare the experience of changing trains for long haul to Homebush then straight home after to walking through the park from the CBD or Richmond station to the MCG (or AAMI for that matter), with 100+ eating/drinking options within walking distance.

You Sydneysiders don't know what you are missing. Hopefully the new SFS has everything that Homebush lacks.

MCG is absolutely world class for AFL & Cricket, not for RL or soccer. Or concerts as it is way too big. It has been one of the world's great stadiums for over 100 years. Homebush was great for Olympics, but ordinary for all other sports. We all know that.

Thank god the IOC are now happy with 50K stadiums so that host cities don't have to repeat the mistakes of Homebush.

We have that at Parramatta.
Well have at SFS.

Compare the usage of the 2 also. The 3 rectangle sports in Australia all but a handful of games it is better to play in the smaller venues.

I think Accor will get an upgrade close to Brisbane Olympics because it will need to compete with Brisbane for larger events moving forward

. I would love Accor to get fixed up but realistically, It really is needed for 5 times a year.
With this dumbass logic Allianz which has probably only ever been at capacity 5 times this century .. let alone a year , would never have been redone.
But here we are 900 million later.

It's Been Done

Juniors
In the NSW state budget, $5 million has been allocated for a business case for a retractable roof at Accor Stadium and Penrith Stadium is mentioned as well

NSW Budget - Western Sydney

No new money in the Queensland budget for stadiums except for upkeep that I could see

Iamback

Coach
With this dumbass logic Allianz which has probably only ever been at capacity 5 times this century .. let alone a year , would never have been redone.
But here we are 900 million later.

If something is going to fill Allianz it goes to Accor. Most of the RU or soccer games sit between 30-40k at most.

Where do you put those games with no SFS?

If something is going to fill Allianz it goes to Accor. Most of the RU or soccer games sit between 30-40k at most.

Where do you put those games with no SFS?
The point escapes you , you said accor is only needed 5 times a year so doesn't need any $$ spent updating it , I point out neither did allianz based on that logic or certainly not to the level it has been based on its history. Was fine as it is or .. should have been a much smaller venue.
Seems the size or number of events has no bearing on what govts will do.

Iamback

Coach
The point escapes you , you said accor is only needed 5 times a year so doesn't need any $$ spent updating it , I point out neither did allianz based on that logic or certainly not to the level it has been based on its history. Was fine as it is or .. should have been a much smaller venue.
Seems the size or number of events has no bearing on what govts will do.

Did you see the safety reports?

I didn't but no one has proven otherwise and given in politics minor things are used. I have no reason to doubt it until other wise.'

So you either don't use SFS and use only Accor. Or you re build SFS and use it in conjunction with Accor

hrundi99

First Grade

Accor has lifts and escalators...

Did you see the safety reports?

I didn't but no one has proven otherwise and given in politics minor things are used. I have no reason to doubt it until other wise.'

So you either don't use SFS and use only Accor. Or you re build SFS and use it in conjunction with Accor
Oh FFS
where did the " safety " report say we needed a 45K seat stadium that based on the old one would be filled about 5 times in 10 years ?
A parramatta stadium sized venue of 30K & 500 million dollars saved would have sufficed

like I said
seems govts don't care about how many times it'll be filled against the cost

siv

First Grade
Well looking at seats on sale at the SFS

Its just upper Eastern deck or behind the southern posts

Where did the other 30k seats go??

Latest posts