What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Manly @ 4 Pines Park, Brookvale

Who will win? Round 18: Manly v Newcastle

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg

First Grade
how does a Queenslander end up supporting us?

we natives don’t have a choice… you had a choice and you chose this?
You do stupid things when you’re young.
Admittedly, I’m old enough that I was in from the early 90’s (about ‘92 when I was 10) and I enjoyed our good years.

I have nothing against Klemmer but let’s be honest.

He has gone from first-picked prop for Australia when we signed him, to not good enough for the extended NSW squad. Still gets paid like the best prop in the country though.

He’s still got great stats though which papers over the issue.
What issue?

Fitter doesn't like him personally and that's why he doesn't gets picked. He's easily the best prop in NSW right now and it's not even close

He wouldn't be the first player to have a falling out with a rep coach

Seage

Juniors
Peak AOB is kicking to the 7ft tall Saab all night when he didn't look like dropping one and Dom is off injured.

What a muppet, can't deviate from the plan.

He's probably blaming the loss on Mann being injured
In fairness to AOB (hard to even say that), I think kicking it to Saab is less about him dropping it and more about stopping his ability to run off the subsequent tackles if you'd kicked to the other winger. If you kick it high and get your chasers there to wrap him up immediately, you've nullified the threat for about 3 plays while your line gets set.

slotmachine

First Grade
In fairness to AOB (hard to even say that), I think kicking it to Saab is less about him dropping it and more about stopping his ability to run off the subsequent tackles if you'd kicked to the other winger. If you kick it high and get your chasers there to wrap him up immediately, you've nullified the threat for about 3 plays while your line gets set.

He's not really a threat in yardage though?

Except it's the Knights, so everyone is a threat

Jono078

Referee
Klem has completely changed body shape. He is 15kg or so lighter than he was at the dogs.
That's one of the reasons. I'm also not saying Klem can't do 60-70 straight, he clearly can. Is it the most effective use of him though? Surely he's trying to preserve himself a little so he doesn't let the team down in defense or something.

macavity

Referee
That's one of the reasons. I'm also not saying Klem can't do 60-70 straight, he clearly can. Is it the most effective use of him though? Surely he's trying to preserve himself a little so he doesn't let the team down in defense or something.

I think it’s been a deliberate move. Probably in response to the “faster” game.

Has completely blunted his impact though. What is more meaningful, 140 metres @6 metres a carry … or a few momentum shifting runs and tackles and a whole heap of intimidation.

Moot point now.

Old dog

Juniors
Klem is Klem, go hard the whole time, much to be admired BUT
would he and the team be better if he backed off a bit, became more selective with hit ups, let others such as Safs do a bit more, make a pact, form a team. No reason why they, the big 3, can’t play 45-55 mins each with the 4th playing 20-30 mins, the variety would put defence in two minds as well as meaning we had two reasonably fresh props on field at any time assuming Obi could manage it effectively

Jono078

Referee
I think it’s been a deliberate move. Probably in response to the “faster” game.

Has completely blunted his impact though. What is more meaningful, 140 metres @6 metres a carry … or a few momentum shifting runs and tackles and a whole heap of intimidation.

Moot point now.
Yeah it's kind of what I'm getting at actually. What if AOB told Klem he's only playing 40-50 minutes and in that time we need you in berserker mode, can he still do that and would the team be better off?

Instead he's probably been told we need you playing 60-70 minutes and to disperse your energy wisely.

perverse

Referee
Is there an opposition forward pack that fears containing David Klemmer: Knights Edition? No. Clearly a different model than the one we bought. JM is right. And it's fair to say he's overpaid, and that all our forwards are overpaid based on this years effort. Friz is in the same boat as Klemmer to be honest. Love Friz, love Klem, but they have both gone backwards since coming to us and aren't what we paid for.

Can we undo that problem now that they're here, paid that much and there's no ready replacements I can see that would come here? Probably not. We're just stuck with the dildo-attached end of the stick as usual.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Klem is Klem, go hard the whole time, much to be admired BUT
would he and the team be better if he backed off a bit, became more selective with hit ups, let others such as Safs do a bit more, make a pact, form a team. No reason why they, the big 3, can’t play 45-55 mins each with the 4th playing 20-30 mins, the variety would put defence in two minds as well as meaning we had two reasonably fresh props on field at any time assuming Obi could manage it effectively
Those last six words are the issue.

Johns Magic

Referee
Can we undo that problem now that they're here, paid that much and there's no ready replacements I can see that would come here? Probably not. We're just stuck with the dildo-attached end of the stick as usual.

Klemmer’s contract ends next year. I haven’t heard any noise of us being desperate to extend him before November 1st when he can be approached by other clubs.