What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 29/7/22

hindy111

Post Whore
Just checking that we actually won the game last night and remain the only team to beat the reigning premiers?

I sent them a Yolandi bomb on the Panthers forum.
3 of them. Within hours Luai is out for 6 weeks and then Cleary for 5 and they get beat.
Funny shit. Black magic

TheRam

Coach
I don't believe a rational explanation is to be confused with an excuse.

Penrith had no choice but to pick their game up in the second half, which they did.

They are a much better side overall than we are; they are used to high pressure. We aren't.

We should have scored more points in the second half, but the fact we didn't is a testament to their professionalism.

And our lack thereof.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I also noticed something interesting last night our 2 dummy halves who ironically played in the last 2 GFs parramatta has played in 2001 & 2009.

Brad Drew and Kevin Kingston are either both on the Penrith coaching staff or currently working for them in some capacity.

Does anyone know what role those 2 guys have at Penrith.

TheRam

Coach
So you think they stuck to the plan in the first half with good motivation, told em to go on with it, but somehow with a different plan/motivation?

We just didn't come out with the right attitude in the second half. It is as simple as that. The coach just can't get them to switch on consistently and we have seen this for years now.

How much more proof do you need ffs!

It's the coaches job to get them playing good consistent footy. Is it that hard to admit to without all the bazillion excuses that so many of you keep trotting out? Even if you don't think replacing this coach with a better one is all that easy, you must admit that this coach just has not been able to get any of the teams he has had here playing without the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde routine no matter who the personnel have been. I mean look how good player for player our spine players are compared to some of the other more consistent teams at present.

We compare more then favourably to most teams and yet consistency eludes us big time.

Avenger

Immortal
This will derail Penrith’s season. If they maintain their first place they will more than likely play us as I can still see us jagging 4th spot. We would be in with a great shot of beating them again as their halves would not have played together for a month and likely to be a bit clunky.

We then make the preliminary final and BA satisfies his KPI for season 2022.

IFR33K

Coach
This will derail Penrith’s season. If they maintain their first place they will more than likely play us as I can still see us jagging 4th spot. We would be in with a great shot of beating them again as their halves would not have played together for a month and likely to be a bit clunky.

FMD there’s still 5 rounds left. Way to go before talking prelim

eels_fan

First Grade

I’m confident we’d beat them if we did play them first round finals, but I’m not confident we’ll make it to 4th.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I did the ladder predictor this morning had us coming 5th. Only losing to the Broncos at suncorp in Rd24.

But we had the same wins as 2nd place due to F/A slipped to 5th.

There isn't much room for error tbh if we want to make the 4. Broncos, Cowboys and Sharks have the easiest run homes and they occupy 2nd to 4th currently.

Hopefully some of these teams lose 1 or 2 games they shouldn't. But on current form I can't see bottom teams lifting themselves up against top 4 teams at this time of the year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
On the second half vs our first half I reckon a lot of it boils down to that the way the game is played and officiated atm momentum is just such a huge thing, once you have gained it and if you can hold it and score, the defence is forced to make so many consecutive tackles and really just doesn't see any ball.

If you hold it long enough, which we did very well in the first half, your opponent is f**ked energy wise and it becomes very f**king hard for them to wrestle it back.

But with the rest at half time it becomes a reset, and a team like Penrith can and will reset, they are fit and mobile and will back their defence to create that momentum shift, and they did that well. To counter that you gotta take your opportunities, and the key moments for us were the obstruction call on Moses ( fair call ) and the strip on Paulo ( dud call ) . Those two incidents were where we could have regained momentum and gone on with it, but didn't.

That's the difference, in the first half we took those opportunities, in the second we squandered a couple, and that's all it takes, particularly against a quality side like the Pennies. It aint half time talks, or tactics or BA ball ( whatever the f**k that is ) or stupid players lacking pace or skill . It's concentration, attention to detail and probably a fair whack of belief and mental toughness to put effort on top of effort.

I think it's true that we went into the sheds at half time with the win banked, and I think that also played it's part in allowing the Pennies to get on top early and hold the momentum through pretty much the entire half.
It was very similar to the Broncos game, except reversed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon we would of won regardless. I even mentioned the 3.50 is juicy odds to Pou and offered him a bet straight out head to head.

But I know when I go to work or talk about game to anyone it will be yeah but against 12 men. It's hard not to see it that way. Different if was in the 2nd half but it was after 15mins.
So I am only suggesting I wish he stayed on cause I was confident we win anyhows. And nobody could say against 12 men.
Who cares what anyone says about the game. After 80 minutes we were up by 24 points. That's all that matters.

Mate it's not that he doesn't want them to go on with it. The problem is he doesn't know how to get them to go on with it.

Great coaches know how to get into the heads of their players, especially the leaders who then execute the "do not take the foot off the jugular" sentiment/message.
This.

Latest posts