What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
Let him GO
our future is NOT Ben
Happy to release him for 2023 as well

I just hope Ben remembers the 3 average years he had before the last two strong ones when weighing up his own value.

I guess will see how strong his faith in Hook actually is. It will be tested here.

If it's true we aren't on the market for any high quality players than just like last year, we are all set for another disappointing year.

redv13

Bench
It might all just be coincidental Blacky, but I still don’t trust the bloke entirely and believe he’s too self serving.
What has he actually done yet to benefit the Dragons.
Flanno doesn’t give a f**k. He has zero loyalty to us and is basically slutting himself in the media with every single job that has come up. Dogs, Tigers and now GC. He is a mercenary looking for the best $$$. The guy wants a gig so badly he isn’t afraid to act like a desperate flog. Can’t stand the prick and after all his shenanigans over the years I’d be pretty pissed if he was our next coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
Benny Hunt has served the Dragons extremely well over the last couple of seasons however the mans price needs to comedown somewhat if he is indeed resigned .

The Dragons simply cannot control the purse strings as well as other clubs do and there is no doubt that we need more players of true quality on board .

Onto Flanagan the board has had had more than enough time to make use of his experience , but has failed to do so , so why would he not look elsewhere if there is the opportunity to coach once again .

Our second rate board needs to make some hard decisions now or else we will continue to be among the also rans until lawd knows when .

possm

Coach
Ben wants his two year extension at the right price and so I suppose it helps to have the current coach supporting his cause rather than opposing it. I'm going against the current orthodoxy by opposing the extension of Hunt beyond 2023 as it distracts from the real needs at this club-young, ambitious, big aggressive props, a high workrate, tough tackling backrower, a quick and clever hooker and genuine pace on the wing. The best and worst of Hunt was on display last weekend- and the worst (not coping defensively with a fast moving attacker and not being comfortable in a ball playing role) is not going to get better at his age. Yes -he's the best player at the Dragons but wacky do- does that say a lot? Hook has to go- but I don't see any coach doing much with Woods, Kerr, Burgess Fui, Macca et al so hire Flanno-probably the best available Head Coach with Hannay and or Sowie as assistants and let the cleanout begin.

possm

Coach
I agree, let Hunt go to the Dolphins or Titans. This season has been his best since coming to the Dragons and it will be all uphill from now on.

We desperately need a good, tough pack that can help deliver that brick wall we had under Bennett. So, a couple of really good props should be our first players to recruit for 2023. Let all of the deadwood go.

Hire Falano or Maguire as head coach and let them choose their assistants.

If we get Flanno, we most probably will get his son. Let Sullivan and Flanno jr fight it out for the halfback position. Though I am concerned about Sullivan's injury history.

I believe we have the speed in our backline we just don't have the fitness to go with it. We need to hire fitness staff that can have our players matching it with the best teams in the competition.

With Hunt, Sims, and all the deadwood forwards gone, we should have enough cash to put together a good roster. Make the move now so that the new coach can have an early start in preparation for next season.

I would love to see Suli have a go in the second row alongside Su'A with De Belin returning to lock. I'd also like to see Amone tested in the left-center position with Sullivan and Flannigan as our halves combination.

We have a very versatile outside back / fullback in T Stewart coming through I hope he gets a run on the left wing next season.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hunt has been great but what scares me is it is like he is blackmailing the club to keep Griffin or else he walks. He keeps saying comments like Griffin is the man to take us forward, he gets the best out of me etc. And lets face it, he would have had a huge influence in bringing McCullough and McGuire to the club as well as possibly Corey Norman as they are all his buddies.

If his motive is to stay only if Griffin is re-signed then bye Bye Ben, sorry I don;t think we can cope with another poor season like the last 2. If Saints get a new coach they may force the move that will benefit the team and move Hunt to 9 and have Amone and Sullivan in the halves to give the team the best possible spine possible as Hunt is clearly one of the best hookers in the game and Saints don't have no other and will not get one in with his quality. Griffin won't make that change as I am sure if Hunt Stays to save his bacon, Griffin will pay back and leave him at half. It is a tough decision that Griffin simply won't make.

What scares me is if Woods plays another few games he will be re-signed for another year as per his contract. If he plays a certain amount of games he gets another year (player option). Griffin will make him hit that quota and Saints are stuck with the Power walker. . Geez I hope Tigers throw some cash his way to persuade Woods to return home.

since77

Juniors
Hunt has really earnt my respect over the last 2 years. He’s earned the captaincy and led by example. Having said that, I’d be happy to make the tough call of letting him go, freeing up the salary cap to buy quality forwards and handing the halves to Sullivan & Amone. There’s no point having Hunt if he’s behind the softest forward pack in the NRL.

FlameThrower

Bench
Reading all of this, I’m not filled with any confidence and can’t see 2023 being any different if not worse. The whole Flanno red hearing is also a nice distraction, if he was so in demand how come Bulldogs, Warriors and Tigers did not bounce on him. Meanwhile while these shenanigans are going on, the weaker teams have recruited and hiring staff - we are behind the 8 ball across all fronts…with no new signings, no news on new assistant coaches etc etc ..

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Benny Hunt has served the Dragons extremely well over the last couple of seasons however the mans price needs to comedown somewhat if he is indeed resigned .

The Dragons simply cannot control the purse strings as well as other clubs do and there is no doubt that we need more players of true quality on board .

Onto Flanagan the board has had had more than enough time to make use of his experience , but has failed to do so , so why would he not look elsewhere if there is the opportunity to coach once again .

Our second rate board needs to make some hard decisions now or else we will continue to be among the also rans until lawd knows when .
Well said Gaz

brissiedragon

Juniors
I'm confused.
We have lost Alvaro and will be losing McGuire and Sims for 2023. We have Billy Burns, Poasa Faamausili, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Tautau Moga, Shalom O'Ofou and Jonathon Reuben off contract at the end of this year and we have signed NO-ONE for 2023. So even allowing for some contract upgrades and considering that we will potentially be shedding 10 players, why is it being reported that we have salary cap issues?
Either someones wrong or we have some seriously bad people in control of finances.

mattchuot

Juniors
I'm confused.
We have lost Alvaro and will be losing McGuire and Sims for 2023. We have Billy Burns, Poasa Faamausili, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Tautau Moga, Shalom O'Ofou and Jonathon Reuben off contract at the end of this year and we have signed NO-ONE for 2023. So even allowing for some contract upgrades and considering that we will potentially be shedding 10 players, why is it being reported that we have salary cap issues?
Either someones wrong or we have some seriously bad people in control of finances.
I would assume the contracts for Amone, Sloan and Bud are gradually increasing as the years go by or incentives-based depending on how many first grade games they play. You have to remember there was considerable interest in all 3 of them so the club might’ve had to pay more to retain them.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm confused.
You're not the only one who is confused brissiedragon, I think many of us are. It only makes sense that with us losing Alvaro, McGuire and Sims and those players you have mentioned being off contract at the end of 2022, we would be able to juggle the figures around to go out and get a couple of biggies for 2023 and money to upgrade some other players.

If Millward was still involved with recruitment and the like then you could say that he has caused a mess, but he is the pathways director (I doubt he is doing much in this area) and Shane Flanagan helping as the List Manager to recruit and retain the players that they want to go after (not much available is what they are saying and waiting for the finals to finish to see who might be available) and retain several others.

To me it is not looking good for next year and I think that Hook will stay on and his excuse would be that they went out to the market (like the little piggy) but nothing good was available to pick up so he stayed at home with the other piggies and had corned beef - sorry I got a bit distracted having my lunch doing this post.

denis preston

First Grade
I'm confused.
Again, who reported this ? You answered your own question. There is bugger all out there and Nov 1st is when the recruitment whips are cracking. Our only hope for next year is getting a Klemmer and perhaps one of two of these Nov 1st signings to come over a year earlier. But again we need to get our coaching team settled before going to the market.

possm

Coach
Hunt has been great but what scares me is it is like he is blackmailing the club to keep Griffin or else he walks. He keeps saying comments like Griffin is the man to take us forward, he gets the best out of me etc. And lets face it, he would have had a huge influence in bringing McCullough and McGuire to the club as well as possibly Corey Norman as they are all his buddies.

If his motive is to stay only if Griffin is re-signed then bye Bye Ben, sorry I don;t think we can cope with another poor season like the last 2. If Saints get a new coach they may force the move that will benefit the team and move Hunt to 9 and have Amone and Sullivan in the halves to give the team the best possible spine possible as Hunt is clearly one of the best hookers in the game and Saints don't have no other and will not get one in with his quality. Griffin won't make that change as I am sure if Hunt Stays to save his bacon, Griffin will pay back and leave him at half. It is a tough decision that Griffin simply won't make.

What scares me is if Woods plays another few games he will be re-signed for another year as per his contract. If he plays a certain amount of games he gets another year (player option). Griffin will make him hit that quota and Saints are stuck with the Power walker. . Geez I hope Tigers throw some cash his way to persuade Woods to return home.
I would say bye, bye, Hunt no matter what. If he wants to leave at season's end let him go. If he does not want to leave then he stays on the Club's terms. Hunt has taken a long time to finally live up to his pay packet however, we have young Sullivan coming through, and if Flanno gets the head coach job it is likely that his son will join the Dragaons.

If Hunt left and Kyle Flannagan joined the Dragons, we would have a lot more salary cap to fund the upgrade to our forward pack that is so necessary.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Reading this I don't think that Flanno would be interested in assisting at the Titans. His deal with the Dragons as List Manager is that he could leave if he was offered a head coaching job.

Come on Dragons, offer him the head coach job.

Flanno's gone quiet this time. Don't know if he's interested in the Tit's however, he was more vocal with the Dogs and Tigpies.

The Dragons seem to be in a holding pattern. Time for Shane to get the team moving upwards on the ladder next year.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
You're not the only one who is confused brissiedragon, I think many of us are. It only makes sense that with us losing Alvaro, McGuire and Sims and those players you have mentioned being off contract at the end of 2022, we would be able to juggle the figures around to go out and get a couple of biggies for 2023 and money to upgrade some other players.

If Millward was still involved with recruitment and the like then you could say that he has caused a mess, but he is the pathways director (I doubt he is doing much in this area) and Shane Flanagan helping as the List Manager to recruit and retain the players that they want to go after (not much available is what they are saying and waiting for the finals to finish to see who might be available) and retain several others.

To me it is not looking good for next year and I think that Hook will stay on and his excuse would be that they went out to the market (like the little piggy) but nothing good was available to pick up so he stayed at home with the other piggies and had corned beef - sorry I got a bit distracted having my lunch doing this post.

Yes- the inescapable conclusion is that this club has spent more money on average to below average players than we should have probably because we're not perceived by the better players as a "destination" club ie a club that is going to challenge anytime soon for a premiership.

Mojo

Bench
I've got to say, apart from his past history (which is a big negative anyway, in my book), there's a lot about Flanno that I find unsettling. I wouldn't like him as head coach.

BBTB

Juniors
Hunt has really earnt my respect over the last 2 years. He’s earned the captaincy and led by example. Having said that, I’d be happy to make the tough call of letting him go, freeing up the salary cap to buy quality forwards and handing the halves to Sullivan & Amone. There’s no point having Hunt if he’s behind the softest forward pack in the NRL.
The Dragons forwards are a laughing stock.....Hook has our forwards into a soft bunch of losers. Don't think he knows what he's doing.
McCullough,Burns,Woods,Burgess, McGuire, Getski,Kerr all useless.