What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

denis preston

First Grade
No surprise really. Killing it this year and was pretty good last year too. Give us Tino and big Moe. Straight swap
So to offset this , the brilliant dragons management increases Hunts contract to 1.2 mill for 3 more years ... That will show you Titans !! Honestly our best player by far but age catches up with everyone. I know Cam Smith , Thurston & Cronk played until 34/35 but look what players & coaching structures they had around them. Hunt and the club doesn't have that luxury. We need to fill some big holes in a lot of positions.

denis preston

First Grade
We need a strong football manager, what we’d give to have Frank Ponissi or Peter Parr on board.
Ben Haran spoke very well at the Red v meeting and made a lot of sense but I haven't a clue if he is a superstar in his role ( he has survived when others around him have gone ) or not but the top teams results means he has to be accountable in some way. Perhaps it was him that forced the sacking of the AC's or at least supported Hook in doing so ?

Dragon David

First Grade

Reading this I don't think that Flanno would be interested in assisting at the Titans. His deal with the Dragons as List Manager is that he could leave if he was offered a head coaching job.

Come on Dragons, offer him the head coach job.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Does anyone else find it bizarre that Sam Verrills is reportedly about to sign with the Titans & not the Dragons. Also a media report today that the Titans to make a huge offer for Ben Hunt for 2024……all these rumours coincide with the secret talks to get Shane Flanagan onboard the Titans as well.
Coincidental he’s our current List Manager and has a smell about it for me!

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Does anyone else find it bizarre that Sam Verrills is reportedly about to sign with the Titans & not the Dragons. Also a media report today that the Titans to make a huge offer for Ben Hunt for 2024……all these rumours coincide with the secret talks to get Shane Flanagan onboard as well.
Does this mean that we will end up with nobodies? Shane won't go anywhere unless it is a head coaching job so will Holbrook get the sack for Flanagan to take over?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Does this mean that we will end up with nobodies? Shane won't go anywhere unless it is a head coaching job so will Holbrook get the sack for Flanagan to take over?
I just don’t have 100% confidence in Flanno as being trustworthy, based on his past record and indiscretions.
Sure he may be better than Hook, but who wouldn’t be!
I hope our club look further a field for the next coach.
Whether it be Josh Hannay, Jason Ryles or some other successful decent assistant coach.

Lethal25

Juniors
I just don’t have 100% confidence in Flanno as being trustworthy, based on his past record and indiscretions.
Whether it be Josh Hannay, Jason Ryles or some other successful decent assistant coach.
Personally I have no issue with a head coach willing to do most anything to create a winning team. For too long we've seen other teams crammed with stars acting under the same salary cap whilst we roll out mediocrity in spades. Bugger the safe option, I'd love to see this club have a crack again as they did with Bennett. Paper bag and peptide me to the title, this comp is so obviously imbalanced as a club you can't afford to be a cleanskin

Dragon David

First Grade

This will put Hunt's price up for the Dragons to pay him to stay. I am amazed as to what he thinks about Hook as per -

Before entering contract negotiations, Hunt revealed that he was happy playing under the “right coach” in Anthony Griffin at the Dragons.

“It’s no secret I enjoy being coached by Hook (Anthony Griffin),” Hunt said.

“I know we’ve had some setbacks for the past two games, but we’ve got the right foundation in place – and we have the right coach.

“I’m loving my time at the club and enjoying myself. I know I’m also getting to the back end of my career and want to win (a premiership).

“My manager will meet with the club next week so we’ll see what happens. I still think I’ve got at least three years of footy in me. I’m contracted for next year, and I’d like another two after that.

“I’ve been lucky with injuries. I don’t see why I can’t go until at least the end of 2025.”

Surely Ben can see that Hook isn't a good coach. The problem is though I don't think that Justin Holbrook is any better unless of course Holbrook won't be there after this year and Flanagan gets the job as head coach of the Titans.

Anyway, if he goes, we know what we will have for the future and that might be a good thing for us.

SGMax

Juniors
Its another disappointing season...
We took s few gambles that needed to work out:
George Burgess to come back as a dominant front rower.
Woods to get some urgency and energy into his game.
Kerr to develop into the forward he could be.
Faama, Ford and Alvaro to provide good support to the run on side.
Fui and Maguire to not be suspended or injured for our backrow support.
Sloan to make the fullback spot his own and develop into a future star.
Same for Amone who seems to be too slow and ineffective as a no.6.
Sullivan hasn't threatened due to injury and lack of opportunity. Still hoping.
The Feargais are ok but lack high end speed and x factor.
Lomax and Bird are talented but full of errors and poor options.

The most worrying part is that we have numerous players leaving and have not targeted any quality players for 2023.
Tigers have Papalii and Korisau, Dogs have Kikau and Mahoney.
Even the Titans are actively trying to upgrade their roster.
I hope we are over the bargain basement buys and there aren't too many youngsters ready for a call up to be regular first graders.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade

This will put Hunt's price up for the Dragons to pay him to stay. I am amazed as to what he thinks about Hook as per -

Before entering contract negotiations, Hunt revealed that he was happy playing under the “right coach” in Anthony Griffin at the Dragons.

“I know we’ve had some setbacks for the past two games, but we’ve got the right foundation in place – and we have the right coach.

“I’m loving my time at the club and enjoying myself. I know I’m also getting to the back end of my career and want to win (a premiership).

“My manager will meet with the club next week so we’ll see what happens. I still think I’ve got at least three years of footy in me. I’m contracted for next year, and I’d like another two after that.

“I’ve been lucky with injuries. I don’t see why I can’t go until at least the end of 2025.”

Surely Ben can see that Hook isn't a good coach. The problem is though I don't think that Justin Holbrook is any better unless of course Holbrook won't be there after this year and Flanagan gets the job as head coach of the Titans.

Anyway, if he goes, we know what we will have for the future and that might be a good thing for us.
Extra money for very good players , which we need desperately and throws Bud into 7 with a better pack in front of him, courtesy of Hunt leaving. Honestly what if Hook said 'keep Hunts contract value the same with a two year extension , we need him " would the club blindly say yes sir ?

Unsainty79

Juniors
Ben Haran spoke very well at the Red v meeting and made a lot of sense but I haven't a clue if he is a superstar in his role ( he has survived when others around him have gone ) or not but the top teams results means he has to be accountable in some way. Perhaps it was him that forced the sacking of the AC's or at least supported Hook in doing so ?
Pretty sure he came from the Storm in their pathways/scouting team, so he must have some idea.

Mojo

Bench

"liking' being coached by him isn't quite the same as saying he thinks Hook is a good coach. I have been wondering if some of the old boys around Hook 'like' him as a coach precisely because he doesn't place many demands upon them. I suspect Ben is a guy who doesn't need - or like - to be told much of anything. This might also explain why the younger guys aren't really hitting their straps. Hook is a dry old country boy who looks like he takes a nap on the hay bales in the barn. Maybe everybody misinterprets his personality as being stoic and conservative etc. Maybe he's actually just slow.

Trifili13

Juniors
"liking' being coached by him isn't quite the same as saying he thinks Hook is a good coach. I have been wondering if some of the old boys around Hook 'like' him as a coach precisely because he doesn't place many demands upon them. I suspect Ben is a guy who doesn't need - or like - to be told much of anything. This might also explain why the younger guys aren't really hitting their straps. Hook is a dry old country boy who looks like he takes a nap on the hay bales in the barn. Maybe everybody misinterprets his personality as being stoic and conservative etc. Maybe he's actually just slow.
Our yeam plays slow so he probably suits them

Dragon David

First Grade
Extra money for very good players , which we need desperately and throws Bud into 7 with a better pack in front of him, courtesy of Hunt leaving. Honestly what if Hook said 'keep Hunts contract value the same with a two year extension , we need him " would the club blindly say yes sir ?
I certainly would hope not. We need more dollars in the coffers so that we can get even one strong forward for next year and getting rid of a couple to make way for a few other hard forwards might also help.

I really cannot see how the Board thinks that we will be doing better next year with retaining most of the players we have. I just can't. Crazy.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Ben wants his two year extension at the right price and so I suppose it helps to have the current coach supporting his cause rather than opposing it. I'm going against the current orthodoxy by opposing the extension of Hunt beyond 2023 as it distracts from the real needs at this club-young, ambitious, big aggressive props, a high workrate, tough tackling backrower, a quick and clever hooker and genuine pace on the wing. The best and worst of Hunt was on display last weekend- and the worst (not coping defensively with a fast moving attacker and not being comfortable in a ball playing role) is not going to get better at his age. Yes -he's the best player at the Dragons but wacky do- does that say a lot? Hook has to go- but I don't see any coach doing much with Woods, Kerr, Burgess Fui, Macca et al so hire Flanno-probably the best available Head Coach with Hannay and or Sowie as assistants and let the cleanout begin.

shazam

Juniors
Good p
Ben wants his two year extension at the right price and so I suppose it helps to have the current coach supporting his cause rather than opposing it. I'm going against the current orthodoxy by opposing the extension of Hunt beyond 2023 as it distracts from the real needs at this club-young, ambitious, big aggressive props, a high workrate, tough tackling backrower, a quick and clever hooker and genuine pace on the wing. The best and worst of Hunt was on display last weekend- and the worst (not coping defensively with a fast moving attacker and not being comfortable in a ball playing role) is not going to get better at his age. Yes -he's the best player at the Dragons but wacky do- does that say a lot? Hook has to go- but I don't see any coach doing much with Woods, Kerr, Burgess Fui, Macca et al so hire Flanno-probably the best available Head Coach with Hannay and or Sowie as assistants and let the cleanout begin.
Good

saintmar

Juniors
Let him GO
our future is NOT Ben
Happy to release him for 2023 as well

blacksafake

First Grade
Does anyone else find it bizarre that Sam Verrills is reportedly about to sign with the Titans & not the Dragons. Also a media report today that the Titans to make a huge offer for Ben Hunt for 2024……all these rumours coincide with the secret talks to get Shane Flanagan onboard as well.

Interesting observations Coffs, you’ve got me thinking now🤔