What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Crush

Coach
The Dragons forwards are a laughing stock.....Hook has our forwards into a soft bunch of losers. Don't think he knows what he's doing.
McCullough,Burns,Woods,Burgess, McGuire, Getski,Kerr all useless.
Lol, when you list them all together it’s pretty embarrassing hey, cannot believe those guys are on our payroll, Hooks judgement has been very very poor.

qld redvee

Juniors
You're not the only one who is confused brissiedragon, I think many of us are. It only makes sense that with us losing Alvaro, McGuire and Sims and those players you have mentioned being off contract at the end of 2022, we would be able to juggle the figures around to go out and get a couple of biggies for 2023 and money to upgrade some other players.

If Millward was still involved with recruitment and the like then you could say that he has caused a mess, but he is the pathways director (I doubt he is doing much in this area) and Shane Flanagan helping as the List Manager to recruit and retain the players that they want to go after (not much available is what they are saying and waiting for the finals to finish to see who might be available) and retain several others.

To me it is not looking good for next year and I think that Hook will stay on and his excuse would be that they went out to the market (like the little piggy) but nothing good was available to pick up so he stayed at home with the other piggies and had corned beef - sorry I got a bit distracted having my lunch doing this post.

DD I cant understand how we have not announced any new signings for next year . Flanno has been on the job for months now and what ever he is doing its at snails pace . Honestly I would have thought a few sharky reserves would have been snapped up , I dont know how good the guy is but francis pele is a big unit and wouldnt be any worse than alvaro and wouldnt be dear BUT no gus gould has got him next year.. So what are our brains trust doing ? we need players with ticker and we need to ensure that woods does not reach his game quota we definitely dont want him in 23

Dragon David

First Grade
DD I cant understand how we have not announced any new signings for next year . Flanno has been on the job for months now and what ever he is doing its at snails pace . Honestly I would have thought a few sharky reserves would have been snapped up , I dont know how good the guy is but francis pele is a big unit and wouldnt be any worse than alvaro and wouldnt be dear BUT no gus gould has got him next year.. So what are our brains trust doing ? we need players with ticker and we need to ensure that woods does not reach his game quota we definitely dont want him in 23
Flanno has indeed been back with us for nearly 6 months (Feb 2022). He apparently was in talks with the Dragons for 3 to 4 months before he accepted the role as List Manager Consultant which is a glorified name given for identifying players and talking to them and making sure they get the right players for the club in line with the Recruitment and Retention Committee. He has stressed that he is still after a head coaching job.

I honestly don't know wtf he has done and as far as I am envisaging him doing is cutting and pasting the players we have - who to go, who to retain and maybe who to go for. This who to go for is subject to who comes on the market after the finals. So I would imagine that the players in the teams playing in the finals would have a couple of players which would seem to be far better than a couple we currently have, so whatever good bucks we have to snare those better finals players, that will be up to Flanno to do. Whether or not he can deliver is another poser.

Haran is banking on Flanno to get players they want. Webb did say a few things about the recruitment and retention in the podcast he spoke on.

While all this is going on, or not going on more like it, several good players are being courted and signed up by the "struggling" clubs as well as a couple of the top clubs. Most probably by the time Flanno gets off the air waves and gets cracking in his role as the List Manager, most of the good ones will have been signed elsewhere and we end up with the "dregs" again.

Dragon David

First Grade
Josh Reynolds rumoured to be going back to the Bulldogs on a one year deal for next year. Where is all of the money coming from. Have they learned how to package the notes in brown paper bags? It really pisses me off that the Dogs are getting every Tom, Dick and Harry players and maybe a new head coach while we just "flounder" without any "sole" wearing a "leather jacket" to put us high on the "perch" and we continue to be "flat heads" and not "bream"ing with confidence in the estuaries of the South Coast.

possm

Coach
Move the following people on (Hunt and Sims alone would bring approx. 2m) and we will have more than enough cash to make a play for some good forwards:
Hunt
Burgess
Woods
Sims
Alvaro
Fui

Buy the best forwards available and backfill with our young up-and-coming juniors.

Trifili13

Juniors
The joke of the salary cap is every team has to spend at least 95% each year (correct me if I am wrong) yet look at the difference in squad qualities at the top end compared to the lower teams. How can the bottom teams compete if they have to spend basically the same as the top sides and end up with second rate plodders as the top teams get the better players for "unders"?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Josh Reynolds rumoured to be going back to the Bulldogs on a one year deal for next year. Where is all of the money coming from. Have they learned how to package the notes in brown paper bags? It really pisses me off that the Dogs are getting every Tom, Dick and Harry players and maybe a new head coach while we just "flounder" without any "sole" wearing a "leather jacket" to put us high on the "perch" and we continue to be "flat heads" and not "bream"ing with confidence in the estuaries of the South Coast.
Be patient DD; were just waiting for the right players to be ‘tailor’ made for our unique playing style…

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
if he is it will be on oranges per week that is about it. His days are well past him

brissiedragon

Juniors
Again, who reported this ? You answered your own question. There is bugger all out there and Nov 1st is when the recruitment whips are cracking. Our only hope for next year is getting a Klemmer and perhaps one of two of these Nov 1st signings to come over a year earlier. But again we need to get our coaching team settled before going to the market.
Maybe do some of your own research...

Dragon David

First Grade

Sport Con: Dragons young gun wants out as Amone re-commits

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 18: Jayden Sullivan of the Dragons looks on during the NRL trial match between the Parramatta Eels and the St George Illawarra Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on February 18, 2021 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images)

While St George Illawarra is celebrating the signature of Talatau Amone, there are doubts about the future of another young talent.
I know contracts nowadays are not worth a pinch of you know what, but Sullivan is signed to the end of 2025. I don't know which journo is saying that Sulli wants out. You could believe it if his contract was up at the end of this year.

If Sulli actually does want out, who would sign him in his current state of being injured most of the time plus he has yet to prove his ability in first grade (I know he hasn't been in ours for much time and that's because we have Hunt). He is still young and time is on his side and needs to be patient. I'm sure if he is fit, he will be lining up in a couple of our remaining games and most definitely will be in first grade a lot next year.

Dragon David

First Grade
I know contracts nowadays are not worth a pinch of you know what, but Sullivan is signed to the end of 2025. I don't know which journo is saying that Sulli wants out. You could believe it if his contract was up at the end of this year.

If Sulli actually does want out, who would sign him in his current state of being injured most of the time plus he has yet to prove his ability in first grade (I know he hasn't been in ours for much time and that's because we have Hunt). He is still young and time is on his side and needs to be patient. I'm sure if he is fit, he will be lining up in a couple of our remaining games and most definitely will be in first grade a lot next year.
Just read Adrian Proszenko's write up in the "Sullivan to half Amone to five eighth Sloan to fullback" thread and I guess he has some good points in his report.

The obvious solution is for Hook to put Hunt in the 9 position and then play Sullivan at 7 and Amone at 6. The fullback situation is a problem though. Ramsey has been very good but Sloan can also be just as good next year.

I honestly think that Ramsey, Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, and the Feagai boys are a must to play first grade next year in most games. They are our future.

mattchuot

Juniors

Sport Con: Dragons young gun wants out as Amone re-commits

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 18: Jayden Sullivan of the Dragons looks on during the NRL trial match between the Parramatta Eels and the St George Illawarra Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on February 18, 2021 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images)

While St George Illawarra is celebrating the signature of Talatau Amone, there are doubts about the future of another young talent.
I am usually an optimist about things and I had hoped the club would have put in a long-term succession plan for Bud. It seems like that is not the case. I remember a response from Webby on the RedV podcast that concerned me. He was asked about Bud’s pathway to first grade being complicated with Hunt’s recent form. Webby’s response was probably too honest saying “we don’t know” but promising there would be a plan put forward eventually.

Good organising halves are hard to come by and we have one in Ben Hunt. Although I agree Amone and Bud are exciting prospects they are both eyes-up run the ball halves. That’s not to say they can’t learn to organise but that’s why it is so important we keep them together with Hunt. I hope the club can find that solution very soon.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Just read Adrian Proszenko's write up in the "Sullivan to half Amone to five eighth Sloan to fullback" thread and I guess he has some good points in his report.

The obvious solution is for Hook to put Hunt in the 9 position and then play Sullivan at 7 and Amone at 6. The fullback situation is a problem though. Ramsey has been very good but Sloan can also be just as good next year.

I honestly think that Ramsey, Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, and the Feagai boys are a must to play first grade next year in most games. They are our future.
There are a lot of scenarios and agendas being played out at the Dragons at present
The rumblings and chatter are getting louder by the day
So who wins ??
The Hook , Hunt Brissy mob ?
Those pushing for Deano to return as Coach ?
Or the kids threatening to walk if they dont get an NRL opportunity
The media from Fairfax with agendas to drive Hook out , following instructions from the great one .
Feeling this is about to spill over within the next two weeks , esp if the Sharks towel us up on Saturday
A complete clearing of the decks is what is needed , just depends whose using the large broom 🤔 🤔

Coffs dragon

Bench
There are a lot of scenarios and agendas being played out at the Dragons at present
The rumblings and chatter are getting louder by the day
So who wins ??
The Hook , Hunt Brissy mob ?
Those pushing for Deano to return as Coach ?
Or the kids threatening to walk if they dont get an NRL opportunity
The media from Fairfax with agendas to drive Hook out , following instructions from the great one .
Feeling this is about to spill over within the next two weeks , esp if the Sharks towel us up on Saturday
A complete clearing of the decks is what is needed , just depends whose using the large broom 🤔 🤔
DD the drums are beating & I’m hearing noises up the North Coast.
I believe the ship is in for some rough waters ahead then they will make Captain Hook walk the plank at seasons end.
They’ll need a broom & mop to restore order for 2023.

I also believe we’ll see an ex club player take charge next year!