What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Leaguenutter

Juniors
I can't remember if it was full time or even half time but at some stage late in his only year at Parra the players walked in and he had 12 or so names up on an overhead projector, and he just said "if your names up there you can talk to your manager and f**k off next year"
I've heard that but they were a bunch of flogs...edit lol

nick87

Coach
IN case you're wondering... the 12 names

Daniel Harrison, Cheyse Blair, Matthew Keating, Reni Maitua, Matthew Eisenhuth, Nathan Smith, Matt Ryan, Pat O'Hanlan, Ben Roberts, Willie Tonga, Ben Smith, Luke Kelly

You can doubt his methods but anyone want to tell me Sticky was wrong? f**king bums. Every single one of them. They had no business being on NRL rosters. Terrible footballers

Ricky stacks ANOTHER W

That's not remotely accurate. He left the parra job because the Raiders job opened up and that was his dream coaching job. Had nothing to do with the job being too tough, in fact the project situation pretty clearly shows he was very much up for that challenge, not that i think he'd have been successful mind you... but to paint it as him walking because the job was too hard is grossly inaccuate haha
I remember at the time there was an article that likened the situation to a customer (Parra) bringing their car to a mechanic (Ricky) where he pulls the entire car apart in order to fix it. Unfortunately for the Parra, Rickie got an offer he couldn’t refuse and promptly left with all the disassembled parts lying on the floor. Timing was unfortunate for Parra..

simmo05

Bench

Daniel Harrison, Cheyse Blair, Matthew Keating, Reni Maitua, Matthew Eisenhuth, Nathan Smith, Matt Ryan, Pat O'Hanlan, Ben Roberts, Willie Tonga, Ben Smith, Luke Kelly

You can doubt his methods but anyone want to tell me Sticky was wrong? f**king bums. Every single one of them. They had no business being on NRL rosters. Terrible footballers

Ricky stacks ANOTHER W
Matt eisenhuth is still playing and Ben Roberts went on to sink piss out of a prosthetic leg!

nick87

Coach
I remember at the time there was an article that likened the situation to a customer (Parra) bringing their car to a mechanic (Ricky) where he pulls the entire car apart in order to fix it. Unfortunately for the Parra, Rickie got an offer he couldn’t refuse and promptly left with all the disassembled parts lying on the floor. Timing was unfortunate for Parra..
Yeah it obviously wasnt great for Parra at the time (id argue they got the good end of that deal, he came in ditched a ton of bums and got out before he could hurt them) but you can see why he wanted the Raiders job

All his mates are down here and he can make the 8 in 1/3rd of his seasons and gets extended. Coaching is not a profession with a lot of job security and yet Stuart has a job for life working with his mates. Of course he was going to take it

Bazal

Post Whore

Ricky stacks ANOTHER W

Look I won't deny I'd gladly give him the W if he actually had f**ked them off, Glengarry Glenn Ross wannabe attitude aside.

But he lacked the strength of gut to actually manage it and all that happened was we got saddled with a pack of useless merkins who also knew they were totally unwanted and only hung around to get that sweet sweet Sharpey TPA money.

Incorrect

Coach

Ricky stacks ANOTHER W
I was gunna say, even as an Eels supporter, if you took a look at that abomination of a roster we had in 2013, even a strong gutted dog would have struggled to stay loyal.... lol

Ricky stacks ANOTHER W
Eiso will be a dual premiership winner by the end of this season…

nick87

Coach
Eiso will have as much hand in those premierships as you and i.
It's the happy gilmore scene.... One problem, Matt. You're not any good!

Stuart absolutely racking up the wins here. You love to see it

Ricky stacks ANOTHER W

Maybe Hook will borrow that overhead-projector for us at Dragons and then f**k off back to …. Anywhere else? 🙏

Avenger

Immortal
That's not remotely accurate. He left the parra job because the Raiders job opened up and that was his dream coaching job. Had nothing to do with the job being too tough, in fact the project situation pretty clearly shows he was very much up for that challenge, not that i think he'd have been successful mind you... but to paint it as him walking because the job was too hard is grossly inaccuate haha
Maybe so but he still used his poor daughter’s needs as an excuse for going to Canberra not that it was his dream job.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yes, he did.

Exact words: "He was a weak-gutted dog as a kid and he hasn't changed now.

And no, you don't have to point out behaviour of 10 year olds as an NRL coach. Especially when you behave like a spoilt child yourself at age 55. Funny, because Sticky is very protective of his family, and any criticism of himself. But it's fine to attack Salmon. Presumably he'd be OK with Salmon's old man telling everyone what he thought of Sticky junior at the time, or his old man. Nah, probably not.
Context matters. The only reason he brought up the childhood drama was because of what just happened. If the bloke played like a gentleman the past stuff wouldn't have been mentioned. The point was it is a character issue and not a one off.

Leaguenutter

Juniors
Look I won't deny I'd gladly give him the W if he actually had f**ked them off, Glengarry Glenn Ross wannabe attitude aside.

But he lacked the strength of gut to actually manage it and all that happened was we got saddled with a pack of useless merkins who also knew they were totally unwanted and only hung around to get that sweet sweet Sharpey TPA money.
Great post, you should take your insights back to the Parra forum. They love & miss you dearly.

BadnMean

Juniors
Jaeman Salmon is a 23 year old who still needs Mummy and Daddy to release statements on his behalf
Stuart was right, that text book definition of a weak gutted dog

2-0 Ricky

Mummy and Daddy stepped in because as everyone keeps pointing out Ricky went back in time and insulted 11 year old Jaemon, so it is entirely appropriate Mummy & Daddy step into to protect 11 year old Jaemon from taunts 23 year old Jaemon is incapable of comprehending.

I think.

Latest posts