What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I know you would happy for him to be here forever but we peaked under him years ago. Fortunately those other spoon winning coaches only got a year or two, not eleven. It’s time for a change. His voice is tired.
Well I'm not saying you're wrong. We couldn't know for sure either way. But I do think we could be going worse with this club's resources. If we replace Arthur it needs to be someone better, and I don't think there are many coaches that are.

Chipmunk

Coach
At a minimum Murphy has to go at seasons end. His use to the club ended years ago. I tend to think that we only keep him because the Head Coach knows he will be unemployed and never employed in the game again. He should have been punted years ago.

What other team has had the same Head Coach and Senior Assistant for 9 seasons? None. It's stupid and a big factor for the stagnation in overall results across the last 3 seasons. Particularly when neither of them has achieved anything in the game.

Is there any other club in the NRL that doesn't have a head coach or a senior assistant who has extensive NRL level playing experience?

It's amateur hour local club footy mentality and it's holding the club back.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Well I'm not saying you're wrong. We couldn't know for sure either way. But I do think we could be going worse with this club's resources. If we replace Arthur it needs to be someone better, and I don't think there are many coaches that are.
I’m new here but can you explain to me how this club lacks resources? Biggest membership in the NRL ,biggest crowds in Sydney, going off last years club report the nrl team received a very small grant and the leagues club makes huge profits on the back of $80m+ asset base. Money doesn’t seem to be a problem, is it star pulling power ? Maybe a better coach would be able to bring better players.

Suitman

Post Whore
I’m new here but can you explain to me how this club lacks resources? Biggest membership in the NRL ,biggest crowds in Sydney, going off last years club report the nrl team received a very small grant and the leagues club makes huge profits on the back of $80m+ asset base. Money doesn’t seem to be a problem, is it star pulling power ? Maybe a better coach would be able to bring better players.

Oh please Frank, don't encourage him.

Gronk

Staff member
I’ve had time to decompress after last night. I watched the Eels presser and the coach is as lost as I am. The board and GM of Footy need to urgently investigate how there is such a wide gap between our best and our worst.

If that means finding a new head coach, then I’m behind them however please don’t hire just any f**ker. Maybe we do need Flanagan. f**k I have no idea.

Never been so disappointed about my team. Have not been this disappointed for weeks. <sigh>

hindy111

Post Whore
I’ve had time to decompress after last night. I watched the Eels presser and the coach is as lost as I am. The board and GM of Footy need to urgently investigate how there is such a wide gap between our best and our worst.

If that means finding a new head coach, then I’m behind them however please don’t hire just any f**ker. Maybe we do need Flanagan. f**k I have no idea.

Never been so disappointed about my team. Have not been this disappointed for weeks. <sigh>

Imo we need a new coach but also need to fix juniors and I expect a lean 3yrs ahead till we do. We are not far enough ahead of the bottom 8 sides and losing key players with Papali'i confirming. Alonf with our better players all get upgrades. So have to be patient. We may not play final for a while

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well it’s a competitive environment so just quoting numbers in isolation means nothing. I’m sure we have more resources than the Tigers and Titans, for example, which is why we outperform them over the long term. But the clubs that outperform us over the long term are surely better resourced.

If we go out meekly I think they will make the call. I don’t think they will sack him immediately but they’ll let him know that 2023 will be his last. Which I think is stupid. Todd Payten would be nice but why would he leave a club he has built and a serious chance at a premiership. They are in a proper premiership window not a play school one like ours.

I’d be giving the gig to Shane Flanagan. He is the only viable alternative. The rest are either inexperienced or under contract.
Has to be Flanno. 2 year deal. I’m sure he’d at least improve our shit defence

Chipmunk

Coach
I don't neccessarily think there is guaranteed better options than BA, but there has to be better options than Murphy. In fact, I'd go as far to say, they're couldn't be worse options than Murphy, particularly with someone like BA as coach.

We need two new senior assistants. People with superior tactical nous. The Head Coach has limitations and he needs to be told he needs to get assistants that counteract his limitations. We replaced Kidwell with someone who is probably really just on a temporary deal until the end of the year. Given our defence this season he probably isn't the answer, but who knows how much input he's allowed this season.

Murphy just has to go if BA remains. For mine, it is no longer negotiable.

Jim Dymock is looking for a job. So is Matthew Head. I'm not sure if Mary is keen for more of a full time gig with the club or not. There are heaps of others out there.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Well it’s a competitive environment so just quoting numbers in isolation means nothing. I’m sure we have more resources than the Tigers and Titans, for example, which is why we outperform them over the long term. But the clubs that outperform us over the long term are surely better resourced
In the NRL era sharks and Manly outperform us and it’s hard to argue they are better resourced than us.

DaveMc

Juniors
Welcome aboard!

You’ll find that Pou’s “lack of resources” is a strawman, bad faith, trolling argument. It’s a fairly new one, but he’s pushing it hard. I’m sure he doesn’t believe it, but he comes here to be contrarian.

As it is, you’re right - resourcing is absolutely no excuse for the short and long-term lack of success at the club. It is poor management, poor coaching, poor recruitment, and comfort with mediocrity.