What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Iamback

Coach
Whats capacity got to do with lead-in time?
It also doesn't matter what the crowd capacity is, as long as it sells out... fact is the highest bidder wins outright, the highest bidder needs to be able to top whatever accor stadium would rake in.. then theyd need to beat out whoever else is bidding. So if your Suncorp or QLD govt you pay extra to take it away from Accor... even if its one dollar extra... pvl will do it just to flaunt it at the nsw govt

Well how many tickets go onsale to the general public though at Accor? I heard it was around 60k

At Suncorp if all those corporates/Freebies etc turn up you have 30k going, of do you cut those tickets which in turn. means less corporate packages to be sold.

So you will have that varying from venue to venue.

MugaB

Coach
No but if say Ampol wanted to fly 40 people over that is when it adds up.

Much easier to say we until 2028 we have the GF in Perth and they can then weigh up whether it is practical to go.
Ampol ain't gonna care about money, the corporates you're talking about are the local sydney lawyer firm that sponsored one of the clubs back in the day and is keeping check on expenditures always.... that kind or corporates will be over in perth or brisbane or wherever the GF ends up at... the blue chips will fly in and out no issues

MugaB

Coach
Well how many tickets go onsale to the general public though at Accor? I heard it was around 60k

At Suncorp if all those corporates/Freebies etc turn up you have 30k going, of do you cut those tickets which in turn. means less corporate packages to be sold.

So you will have that varying from venue to venue.
This aint about crowds or corporates or capacity... if the GF went elsewhere they just have to pay a higher rate, they are bidding whatever bid wins will easily surpass the shortfall of difference, had it been played at Accor

Perth Red

Post Whore
No but if say Ampol wanted to fly 40 people over that is when it adds up.

Much easier to say we until 2028 we have the GF in Perth and they can then weigh up whether it is practical to go.
yes I agree re this year, but then the NRL needs to stand by its convictions and put it out to tender for the next 10 imo. If at some point in future there is a different Govt then they can buy it back for the stadiums the game needs. What would help the public opinion side of things is if they said the profit made from the GF sales was going to something specific, be it helping clubs develop their own stadiums, building a stadium in Sydney the NRl owns or investing it in grassroots. That would make it much more palpable to the Sydney fans and media.

Wb1234

Referee
Even so, its pretty late in the piece to change venues. The GF is just over 6 weeks away. There's been plenty of spin in this Sydney stadiums saga, so the NRL and PVL can do the same. PVL can say that the GF will be in Sydney because there is not much time to look elsewhere, but from next year, the GF venue will be up for bidding.
Selling out in Brisbane will be easy

there’s also a small chance a qld team can make the gf

beave

Coach
One reason I think it will stay in Sydney for 2022 is that tickets have been on sale here for it for months. You'd wind up pissing off a lot of paid customers by refunding their ticket/s merely to stick it up the NSW Government by relocating the GF for this year. Doing it for the 2022 GF is, in my opinion, a lose-lose situation for the NRL.
Tickets haven't been on sale for the GF.............

parrawentyfan

Juniors
The way Sydney trains work, to get from Homebush to where I live, I would have to:

Catch a train from Olympic Park to Lidcome (10 mins)
Catch a train from Lidcombe into the city (40 mins at night)
Catch a train from the city to where I live in Sydney (another 40 mins at night)
15 minute drive home

Try doing that at 10pm with 3 kids 9 and under.

That or a 45 minute door-to-door drive home

It's not an easy city to navigate and it's the reason Homebush is somewhat a white elephant. They only ever do direct trains there for big events, not a random Rabbitohs match in July.

And that's assuming there is no trackwork. And there is always trackwork.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Hahaha how do you figure nothing else changed?

2019 Stadium opened

In 2018 you got the spoon.
In 2017 you were 4th
In 2016 you were 14th
In 2015 you were 12th
In 2014 you were 10th
In 2014 you got the spoon
In 2013 you got the spoon

So whilst I’m sure a new stadium increased crowds let’s not ignore that the Eels were rubbish years before and the better crowds are due to the teams improved
performances since it opened.
Go back further for me please .. whack an average number against it

Valheru

Coach
Bit of a tricky one with the election coming up though, hold it in Sydney and look like a toothless tiger to the incoming Govt who wont take any future threats seriously, or take it away at short notice and pss off the games biggest fanbase area. Vlandys bluster has put them between a rock and a hard place.
Only way out of it I can see is to announce this years is going to be in Sydney due to short notice of it all and then it will be made available to the highest bidder unless the NSW govt comes back to the table with an agreed timeline. They could then sell the next 5 years to Qlnd if need be and then see where the cards lay after that.

PVL could threaten to never play another game in Sydney again, the NSW Labor party aren't going to build him some stadiums. They have flat out said they won't invest in stadiums and they went to the last election on a platform of not building the SFS.

PVL could threaten to never play another game in Sydney again, the NSW Labor party aren't going to build him some stadiums. They have flat out said they won't invest in stadiums and they went to the last election on a platform of not building the SFS.

Yeh opposition do what opposition do. Greiner opposed the Harbour Tunnel construction when in opposition as an example, yet was there to cut the ribbon as premier when it opened. Foley/Daley did support a refurb of ACCOR and SFS. Unfortunately now, the way the debate has been framed (or hijacked) is, we either have flood relief, hospitals and schools or stadiums. I don’t think the stadia debate influenced the last election and don’t think it will become an issue in the next. Only way to make it an issue is to move the GF this year and threaten to do again next year.

Could’ve all been avoided if PVL hadn’t assumed he’d get his way and offered a business case for new stadia instead of bluster and threats.

MugaB

Coach
Yeh opposition do what opposition do. Greiner opposed the Harbour Tunnel construction when in opposition as an example, yet was there to cut the ribbon as premier when it opened. Foley/Daley did support a refurb of ACCOR and SFS. Unfortunately now, the way the debate has been framed (or hijacked) is, we either have flood relief, hospitals and schools or stadiums. I don’t think the stadia debate influenced the last election and don’t think it will become an issue in the next. Only way to make it an issue is to move the GF this year and threaten to do again next year.

Could’ve all been avoided if PVL hadn’t assumed he’d get his way and offered a business case for new stadia instead of bluster and threats.
Depending on the outcome for this years GF location, will decide whether PVL has blustered or if he has become vindicated by solving an issue with govt trying to weasel out of promises made....
This whole either floodrelief/hospitals/schools vs stadia doesn't fly, its not like there's an immediate need for the stadiums right now, but a plan to improve them with their commitment within the next 5-6 years in mind must be approved... or else basically

flippikat

Bench
So what's the gf decision
Well, if they can't decide between Sydney & Brisbane, and much lower crowd capacity isn't a dealbreaker (hey TV money is where it's at yeah?).. I'm sure we could schedule it over here at Fraser Park, Taita in New Zealand. ;)

The Avalon Wolves rugby union season is over, so my neighborhood park is free.

It's near the big Avalon Park playground for the kids too, so you can take them there before the game :)

Vee

First Grade
In the background at the NRLW launch at SFS yesterday appeared to be mobile lighting banks to aid growing grass. I saw them years ago while touring the MCG but I've never seen them in RL stadiums.

Have they been used before in RL and I just haven't seen them?

Regardless, should go a long way towards fixing patchy grass coverage there, we've long seen problems at WSS and Lang Park in this regard.

Dogs Of War

Coach

Not to mention that if the Libs think they won't get back in, then they are more likely to do something like commit to the Stadiums as a landmine for Labor.

Wb1234

Referee

Govt does this business case not the nrl

it’s not up to him to prove they are viable