What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Trifili13

Juniors
Attendance is shown here
Although it says 26k, the ground only holds 22k as per its own website. There is no way that there was 26k in attendance. Logic tells you it was not a sell out and another 4k on top of that. Maybe they counted legs so 13k crowd x 2 gives you 26k.

While it pains me to say it as I can see it from my back yard and have fond memories as a youngster going to watch the Dragon's at Jubilee, but can't see any way that the government is going to spend money knocking it down and building a new one. Any money retro fitting it is also wasted to some degree. More chance of a new stadium happening at wollongong which is a major regional area. An A- League as co-tenant would help but the Wolves had a team in the old NSL that ran on the smell of an oily rag and can't see big corporate support for a new team based in the Gong.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Let me start off by saying I'm a lot younger and so was not alive before the joint venture occurred. My team is and always will be St.George Illawarra. However, the reason I support the Dragons is because I have a parent who supported St.George, so if anything I would have been more on the St.George side. In no way am I biased because I'm an Illawarra Steeler. I'm a St.George Illawarra Dragon.

So, with that said, I'll argue firstly what Kogarah supporters? Our round 3 game against Cronulla this year at WIN in horrible conditions still saw more attendees than our Norm Provan memorial match (played in immaculate conditions) at kogarah. WIN gets better crowds than Kogarah does, simple. If supporters don't want to go to Wollongong to watch the Dragons play, that's there choice, but I don't think the club will suffer too much from their absence.

Secondly, Kogarah, given where it is situated, will never get a significant upgrade. We need a stadium worth being proud of. Not one where you can smell the toilets from your seat. The fact is Kogarah is outdated but without hope of a significant upgrade. WIN is outdated, but situated where a significant upgrade can take place.

Regarding the team song. It's also outdated, divisive, and in my opinion plain embarrassing. Who cares if most other people don't know it? At least it's ours. The Roosters song when they run out and win for example, is phenomenal, and every roosters fan sings it loud and proud. You mention clubs that have their own songs having no soul. The Roosters, Storm and Panthers have arguably the most soul out of any other clubs in the whole comp.

To finish off, let's be reasonable and remember the St.George side was falling apart. They needed Illawarra as much as they needed St.George. Without the merger, considering both teams stayed in the ARL, neither would have survived.
I like the idea of a new purpose built stadium somewhere in the midst of the venture area. However, given current funding imbroglio not likely to happen any time soon. Bankwest is a tremendous venue and something like that as a multi sport venue would be amazing. No harm in dreaming I guess..

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Although it says 26k, the ground only holds 22k as per its own website. There is no way that there was 26k in attendance. Logic tells you it was not a sell out and another 4k on top of that. Maybe they counted legs so 13k crowd x 2 gives you 26k.

While it pains me to say it as I can see it from my back yard and have fond memories as a youngster going to watch the Dragon's at Jubilee, but can't see any way that the government is going to spend money knocking it down and building a new one. Any money retro fitting it is also wasted to some degree. More chance of a new stadium happening at wollongong which is a major regional area. An A- League as co-tenant would help but the Wolves had a team in the old NSL that ran on the smell of an oily rag and can't see big corporate support for a new team based in the Gong.
Agree. Used to walk to games as a kid and hear the roar! Going to school across the road helped too! Realistically parking, access and facilities not ideal and Having split grounds problematic. One, iconic home ground of course would be ideal but cost and location seem to make it unlikely.

redv13

Bench
Agree. Used to walk to games as a kid and hear the roar! Going to school across the road helped too! Realistically parking, access and facilities not ideal and Having split grounds problematic. One, iconic home ground of course would be ideal but cost and location seem to make it unlikely.
Carlton South boy too. Remember walking up the stairs to class on a Monday and seeing the scoreboard showing the score and all the rubbish on the eastern hill. Oh the memories as a kid

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sorry but do you boo Santa we flogged Souths beat the Rorters on ANZAC DAY also beat Raiders unlucky the 2nd time we played them the 1 st 2 were short odds 2 make the top 4 if we didnt beat them they would have.
Hey Yow, last time I checked Roosters, Souths and Raiders came 6th, 7th and 8th. I did say top 5 in my post. And nah I don't boo Santa but can look at a table.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Reports yesterday from Buzz that McCullough wants to play on and Saints are pushing for him to retire. He is not budging. He wants to play on so do not discount him remaining as No.9 because we all know Hook will continue to pick him. What a mess this is going to be. Probably some games going on here as Flanno (list manager) probably the one pushing for him to go and Hook is probably telling his best mate to dig his heels. Check Dragons Forever Facebook page as that is where the info came from.

SEAT 1A

Bench
And they can have the shorts as well. The Big Red V however should be non-negotiable, home and away. Arguably the most famous jersey in the rugby league world (although that world is small in reality) but why on earth would you want to play in an alternate jersey every second week?

If they want to show respect to the Illawarra then play in the original Steelers jersey on say the foundation day of when the Steelers were founded as a sign of respect and acknowledgment.

I also follow Collingwood and although Port Adelaide was founded before Collingwood, and have been trying to use their prison bar jersey, Collingwood have steadfastly refused to allow them as they were in the AFL/VFL earlier and cherish what the black and white stripes mean. The same should go for the Red V. The St George side should put their foot down and say it's the Red V or f off. And if the Gordon's and the rest of the Illawarra don't like it they can sell up and move on.

I thought the mighty Red V was part of the JV agreement.

Blood and Bandages away strip when it clashes which should never happen as I think Manly and Souths both played with black strips this year and Illawarra jersey down in the Gong.

And they can have the shorts as well. The Big Red V however should be non-negotiable, home and away. Arguably the most famous jersey in the rugby league world (although that world is small in reality) but why on earth would you want to play in an alternate jersey every second week?

If they want to show respect to the Illawarra then play in the original Steelers jersey on say the foundation day of when the Steelers were founded as a sign of respect and acknowledgment.
Love it.

Yow

Juniors
Fair enough, but the argument doesn’t have to be so binary; I’m personally all for the joint venture.
…If’ it’s the song is “Oh when the Saints”..? … (Storm and Penrith have a song?) I love it and don’t find it embarrassing at all; i hope they always keep it!
I also disagree with the Kogarah Oval point of view. Lately, the scheduling of games there have been on Sat against out of town sides; rain events or those stupid Friday night at 6:00. Let’s see a Sunday against a traditional rival.. pack it in!

Just my opinion, but I love the song; love both grounds ; love the Illawarra partnership!
Me to and so does my Grandchildren

Yow

Juniors
So can i Roosters finished 2 points behind Parra but had a better for and against than them so if we didnt beat them they would have finished 4 th but a lot of experts had them both in the top 4 and us to get the spoon I will admit i was wrong with Souths but they were close.