What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

And they can have the shorts as well. The Big Red V however should be non-negotiable, home and away. Arguably the most famous jersey in the rugby league world (although that world is small in reality) but why on earth would you want to play in an alternate jersey every second week?
Love it. Totally agree. There a is no more iconic jumper in the game.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Love it. Totally agree. There a is no more iconic jumper in the game.
Bit confused guys
We sign Liddle to a one year term
The current pensioner we have is now planning to full fill the final year of his contract in 2023 , causing a problem to most
Sullivan is then confused because he was probably thinking at worst he would mostly play 9 , as our million dollar man app is also extending and not keen to move to 9
Meanwhile the Club is telling all n sundry they will go all out to bring home Cowboys rake Reece Robson in 2024 as one of our major targets
Typical Dragons style
Hopefully someone can set me straight
DD

Slippery Morris

First Grade
You have summed it up perfectly DD. Some pretty strange movements by the Saints and if your confused imagine poor Sullivan. I thought he did well backend and worst case he gets the No.9 for 2023 with the hope of getting him to play No.7 eventually.

Dolphins trying to buy anyone that has experience and they are not even interested in Macca for a year. Says a lot really.

Dragon David

First Grade
Bit confused guys
We sign Liddle to a one year term😂
The current pensioner we have is now planning to full fill the final year of his contract in 2023 , causing a problem to most
Sullivan is then confused because he was probably thinking at worst he would mostly play 9 , as our million dollar man app is also extending and not keen to move to 9
Meanwhile the Club is telling all n sundry they will go all out to bring home Cowboys rake Reece Robson in 2024 as one of our major targets
Typical Dragons style
DD
Haha! By the looks of things, we will be fielding a team of hookers in 2023/2024. Talk about going over the top. It would be good if the club can set us all straight as to what they intend to do with all of the proposed hookers. Soon we will be able to run a "boutique of hookers" with Hook as the Maitre De.😂

dungay dragon

Juniors
Haha! By the looks of things, we will be fielding a team of hookers in 2023/2024. Talk about going over the top. It would be good if the club can set us all straight as to what they intend to do with all of the proposed hookers. Soon we will be able to run a "boutique of hookers" with Hook as the Maitre De.😂
Dave
Whoever is on our retention committee needs to answer some really pertinent questions
we are an embarrassment
the securing of Corey Norman being a perfect example
didnt need him at the time , yet paid overs to get him
what a waste
it just continues.....................

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Bottom line, Hook's retention for 2023 and Hunt's re-signing beyond 2023 are looking more and more like bad ideas. The latter denies us $800K or upwards we could use to compete for the Payne Haases of the world in 2024 and 2025- and Manly is one club where some quality forwards may become available due to the fractures in the club -while sending a bad message to Sullivan et al. Hook's favouritism has already created splits and morale issues which the club seem to be simply sweeping under the carpet. This will end badly- just as we all predicted Mary's reign would end badly when he was extended.

Dragon David

First Grade
Dave
Whoever is on our retention committee needs to answer some really pertinent questions
we are an embarrassment
the securing of Corey Norman being a perfect example
didnt need him at the time , yet paid overs to get him
what a waste
it just continues.....................
So very true Dungay. I often think that our recruitment and retention personnel don't know the difference between Arthur and Martha and that they lack the capabilities of setting up a strong roster of players from backs to forwards that have class and ability over several years so that we have a stable, well run squad that can win premierships.

If they cannot manage the salary cap to build a strong squad, then what chance has the club in succeeding each year? I know that we are not an attractive club for better players to come and join us, but if management are employed to do this job, they need to pull their fingers out and start making us attractive.

We need a very good entrepreneur to push our barrow, like the late Harry Miller who was known as the “visionary” entrepreneur. We need someone like him to promote us.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
To analyze this a bit deeper.

Macca - 1yr left on contract.
Liddle- signed for 1yr
CM - about a year off 1st grade

Players contracted until end '23 season:
Mbye
Fui
Macca
Liddle
Kerr
Lawrie
Burns
Burgess (may already be gone)

Our target is for season '24.

ATM we have NO 'qualified back-up' hooker. If Macca plays, and goes down with injury or retires, Bud nor Mbye can play regular every week starting hooker. Hence we signed Liddle as insurance. If Macca plays reserves then CM will be mentored by him and Liddle takes the starting hooker role. In these scenarios Bud can be the #14.
Where Mbye plays is the more pertinent question.

Just my take on this.

possm

Coach
Luke Thompson would be a good pick up.
But it's a no If we have to let Sullivan go.
We need to let Hunt go after next year.
Just imagine if we did a deal for 2023 with the Dogs, Hunt for Thompson.
Sullivan to halfback
In addition to Thompson, we get a like-for-like replacement for Sims. Maybe David Fifita.

1. Burgess / Sloan
2. Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. Molo
9. Liddle
10. De Belin
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Mbye
15. Thompson
16. Lawrie
17. Burgess

There would be plenty of salary cap to bring in Thompson and Fifita with plenty left over to buy/upgrade other players.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Bit confused guys
We sign Liddle to a one year term
Typical Dragons style
DD
I’m thinking if we have signed LiddLe for one year then it won’t be on much coin. He will put competitive pressure on Macca to step up or play regies. Also means we aren’t locked in for 2024 and can go hard after Robson or perhaps Mulheisen will be ready. As much as I like Bud I don’t see him as a full season 9. I see him as 14 and playing 6/7 and yes some 9 if needed through the season. I’m hoping that being groomed as Hunts replacement and getting judicious stints in firsts will be enough to hold him enthusiastic. Also for mine, admitting I haven’t seen many of his games in lower grades, he isn’t yet an organising half: has speed, strength and kicking game but not there yet

possm

Coach
To analyze this a bit deeper.

Macca - 1yr left on contract.
Liddle- signed for 1yr
CM - about a year off 1st grade

Players contracted until end '23 season:
Mbye
Fui
Macca
Liddle
Kerr
Lawrie
Burns
Burgess (may already be gone)

Our target is for season '24.

ATM we have NO 'qualified back-up' hooker. If Macca plays, and goes down with injury or retires, Bud nor Mbye can play regular every week starting hooker. Hence we signed Liddle as insurance. If Macca plays reserves then CM will be mentored by him and Liddle takes the starting hooker role. In these scenarios Bud can be the #14.
Where Mbye plays is the more pertinent question.

Just my take on this.
If we are stuck with Hunt for another season, we have Liddle and Hunt. We don't need McCullough.

If Thompson comes in a trade deal for Thompson, then we have Liddle and our young gun as our hooker or if he is available, we could ho for Robson.

Mjab

Juniors
Love it.

Agree totally with your analysis and players, bar one or two changes. Lawrie for F Molo. Check out season stats on both. Molo was disappointing while Lawrie rose to another level in second half of the season, and did so starting. I think also I'd have Burgess start the match then use his massive frame and impact in second half against a tired defense. Jaiyden Hunt will play in our 17 too after his upgrade..
IN limited opportunities I accept, J Hunt has yet to do anything other than make errors from my memory. If we are pinning a lot of hope on him I suspect we are in a sorry state
This has been Lawries best season and happy for him

You do realize that the best path forward for Sullivan is another 12 months as understudy to Ben Hunt. If he does in fact live up to the level of expectation in here, which is still to be proven yet, he is better off learning that from Hunt rather than Mbye. And as has been previously expressed in here by someone, don't discount young Wallace turning out to be the better future halfback.

slippery5

Juniors
You have summed it up perfectly DD. Some pretty strange movements by the Saints and if your confused imagine poor Sullivan. I thought he did well backend and worst case he gets the No.9 for 2023 with the hope of getting him to play No.7 eventually.

Dolphins trying to buy anyone that has experience and they are not even interested in Macca for a year. Says a lot really.
Let me give you a conversation I was privy to.
It involves Tom Dearden being asked "what's going on with the Broncs rumour of securing Cody Croft"? after he was talked up as the next number 7 & had played a handful of 1st grade games.
He shrudded his shoulders in confusion & we all know what has happened next. I hope this is not another Tom Dearden/ Broncos moment ......

Latest posts