What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

possm

Coach
Fair.

My point is this. Hunt aint worth at his age what's been asked. As a supporter, having endured 11 years of " but we didn't get the spoon ", and signing the likes of McCulloch , Woods, Norman etc, I am more than happy to see where a new path takes us.

Hunt plays out of his skin for Qld off the bench as a nine.

He can take one for the team and play at hooker.
Club ahead of egos.

He is the best player in a bog average side.

The Qld SOO side does not have a salary cap. They can play million-dollar players off the bench without any problems.

True_Believer

Juniors
You've made some good points for not resigning Hunt
Hunt is still with us next year so by 2024 amone will have 70 games under his belt playing along side an expirenced half, so he could hardly be called a rookie.
Yes and extending Hunt you risk blocking pathways for Sullivan and losing him.
As you said Cleary debut in in 16 and was playing regular FG I'm 17
Sullivan debut in 20 but will have to wait to 2026 to play half.....
We have Hunt for next year it a easy transition to get get Sullivan to take over and save a million a year on the cap.

1.2 next year and he want 1,8 for the next 2 no way in the world is he worth 3 million dollars at the end of his career

Firstly, I don't think Bud is the next Cleary. He might be good eventually but I'd say Cleary, when he debuted was a step above.

Secondly, I would hope that Amone makes some serious progress next year. Even Cleary had experienced halves partnering him for at least 3 years before Lui became a more permanent fixture in first grade.

Finally, if the plan is to transition Bud into the halves over a year or 2 (much like Lui), then I can see value in signing Hunt for an extra year.

However, if the reports are true, not for $900k.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Anyone watch the PM game. Hunt just showed albeit against PNG what a difference he would make to our side from dummy half.

watching atm (replay). What I noticed, is that hunt runs and draws, and does in a smart way. He is smart enough to direct the play as needed to take advantage of space. Also could kick from dummy half (already a 40/20 22mins in). This would indeed make a difference.

that said, if we had API, or cook, Grant or somebody of this calibre, then we obviously wouldn’t make the decision. But since we have Liddle and McCullough, and Sullivan needing game time… well it is clear to 95%of this forum!

possm

Coach
watching atm (replay). What I noticed, is that hunt runs and draws, and does in a smart way. He is smart enough to direct the play as needed to take advantage of space. Also could kick from dummy half (already a 40/20 22mins in). This would indeed make a difference.

that said, if we had API, or cook, Grant or somebody of this calibre, then we obviously wouldn’t make the decision. But since we have Liddle and McCullough, and Sullivan needing game time… well it is clear to 95%of this forum!
By releasing Hunt, the Dragons would salary cap that would go a long way to secure the services of Fifita and Robson. Signings such as this will make a significant difference to our forward pack. A new first-grade prop would also make a significant difference to our forward pack.

Trifili13

Juniors
Article on Foxsports yesterday that the Cheese took $100k per season less at the Roosters than the Storm and $200k less a season than what the Dolphins were offering. So how does a lower ranked club attract the better talent when the better talent is happy to get $600k less over 3 years (about $350k net after you take tax out)? Now some players would have taken the money, especially if they have already won a premiership like the Cheese has, but this just shows you how a lower club has to bend their salary cap to attract top talent and hope it works out (Dragon's and Hunt), while the Roosters have $100k to $200k extra a year to upgrade/retain a player or buy another player of quality. And then multiply that by 4 or 5 players taking "unders" and suddenly the Rooster's (and other top sides) have $500k+ extra to spend a season than a lower team which already has worse players and can't attract better players unless they offer ridiculous money.

blacksafake

First Grade
Article on Foxsports yesterday that the Cheese took $100k per season less at the Roosters than the Storm and $200k less a season than what the Dolphins were offering. So how does a lower ranked club attract the better talent when the better talent is happy to get $600k less over 3 years (about $350k net after you take tax out)? Now some players would have taken the money, especially if they have already won a premiership like the Cheese has, but this just shows you how a lower club has to bend their salary cap to attract top talent and hope it works out (Dragon's and Hunt), while the Roosters have $100k to $200k extra a year to upgrade/retain a player or buy another player of quality. And then multiply that by 4 or 5 players taking "unders" and suddenly the Rooster's (and other top sides) have $500k+ extra to spend a season than a lower team which already has worse players and can't attract better players unless they offer ridiculous money.
He’s gotta be talking sh*t.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Or is Robbo that much of a better coach than Bellamy and Bennett, or the culture of the Rooster's is that much better, or Politis is not that good at golf, the coffee and nightclubs are better in the eastern suburbs? The reasons are endless.
I'm pretty sure Uncle Nick is absolutely terrible at golf, so I am not sure why he continues to make such huge bets with Roosters players, or why he plays so often!

Trifili13

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Uncle Nick is absolutely terrible at golf, so I am not sure why he continues to make such huge bets with Roosters players, or why he plays so often!
Maybe that's our problem. The BOD at the Dragon's practice too much at Beverley Park GC which is behind the leagues club and always beat our players and any prospective new recruits. The quicker we relocate to the Gong the better and make sure there are no golf courses around so the BOD can't practice.

Anyone watch the PM game. Hunt just showed albeit against PNG what a difference he would make to our side from dummy half.
Went missing in first half, came alive with 15 mins on the clock with two smart try assist plays.. one a pass the other a kick. I reckon by then tho, the Kumuls were spent.

st.phil

Bench
30% of rooster salaries are under the counter

Walpole

Juniors
I like Cheese, he's a bit of a character but he just might be dumb enough to give the Roosters away. I'm sure on paper he's getting 200K less than what he was offered by the Dolphins but what's the real bottom line? I'm sure the NRL are investigating....