What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Perth could’ve got it

just bc he does some things to help Sydney clubs should not be twisted to say he’s Sydney centric

he will do more for rugby league in qld than any leader we’ve had

and who knows if bris don’t get the gf next year if they don’t build those stadia as promised
That says more about the other leaders. They were useless.

MugaB

Coach
That’s exactly what he means by Sydney centric: helping Sydney clubs more than he would others.
Its funny how you get hung up on a few things..
He talks about how he has done more for qld than any other leader has, (since id say arko...)
Quick someone mentioned "sydney" shoot him! BANG!!!
The game has 9 teams in sydney, of course he will focus on that.. the rest of the clubs have unique vastly different issues, SEQ had the new team coming in, plus cows getting an new stadium, warriors had covid relocations, (CC/redcliffe/tamworth) canberra have sticky.. and need a roof... newy are the new drunk cousin with AOB at the helm.. Melbourne are Melbourne...juggernauting along
Sydney are the base area, so of course they'll be some focus

Colk

First Grade
Its funny how you get hung up on a few things..
He talks about how he has done more for qld than any other leader has, (since id say arko...)
Quick someone mentioned "sydney" shoot him! BANG!!!
The game has 9 teams in sydney, of course he will focus on that.. the rest of the clubs have unique vastly different issues, SEQ had the new team coming in, plus cows getting an new stadium, warriors had covid relocations, (CC/redcliffe/tamworth) canberra have sticky.. and need a roof... newy are the new drunk cousin with AOB at the helm.. Melbourne are Melbourne...juggernauting along
Sydney are the base area, so of course they'll be some focus

It’s kind of perfunctory argument from myself. Of course he is going to be Sydney centric but I was just pointing out that Wb and GROTD are essentially agreeing; albeit one from a non critical perspective and one from a highly critical perspective.

Anyway, other than the Warriors being incredibly shafted (which is a mark against him) and maybe some focus on infrastructure outside of Sydney, it is no worse or no better than previous administrators

Wb1234

Referee
It’s kind of perfunctory argument from myself. Of course he is going to be Sydney centric but I was just pointing out that Wb and GROTD are essentially agreeing; albeit one from a non critical perspective and one from a highly critical perspective.

Anyway, other than the Warriors being incredibly shafted (which is a mark against him) and maybe some focus on infrastructure outside of Sydney, it is no worse or no better than previous administrators
Vlandys literally forced through the dolphins despite the clubs and the qrl not wanting them in purely to benefit Queensland rugby league

he stated the two main motives were to counter afl expansion in se qld and he was worried origin would decline as qld don’t have enough clubs to compete with nsw

the idea about the stadia wasn’t vlandys that goes back to Greenberg. All he did was wanted the money spent o suburban grounds not homebush

it’s not like rugby league clubs in Sydney don’t need help too. That’s his job to help all the game

and other than Canberra all the non Sydney sides have great grounds anyway

MugaB

Coach

Grotd makes everything highy critical, its his type of backward thinking that will cripple the code... its how RU went from being a respectable comp to turning into dots on a map comp then into failure... a-league will soon follow... and AFL and NRL will continue to thrive, simply because they are both not attached to the notion that every city needs their presence at the expense to their base city clubs...
That and Logan ain't getting a team, cant even get one in Qcup, let alone nrl

Vlandys literally forced through the dolphins despite the clubs and the qrl not wanting them in purely to benefit Queensland rugby league

he stated the two main motives were to counter afl expansion in se qld and he was worried origin would decline as qld don’t have enough clubs to compete with nsw

the idea about the stadia wasn’t vlandys that goes back to Greenberg. All he did was wanted the money spent o suburban grounds not homebush

it’s not like rugby league clubs in Sydney don’t need help too. That’s his job to help all the game

and other than Canberra all the non Sydney sides have great grounds anyway
Wollongong Showgrounds has a hill on its eastern terrace.

V'landys wanted the suburban grounds upgraded to ensure the survival of all nine Sydney clubs in their current state, which is bad for rugby league as it keeps them small and prevents growth into new markets.

Colk

First Grade
Grotd makes everything highy critical, its his type of backward thinking that will cripple the code... its how RU went from being a respectable comp to turning into dots on a map comp then into failure... a-league will soon follow... and AFL and NRL will continue to thrive, simply because they are both not attached to the notion that every city needs their presence at the expense to their base city clubs...

There is also another reason I’ll add. Fumbleball and League are the best competitions of its type in the world (thankfully fumbleball not played anywhere else in the world). That does give these competitions a sense of prestige.

From my own perspective, I quite like football (union is crap) and I have been to a fair few Jets games with some mates but considering the standard is probably equivalent to something 3rd or 4th division it’s hard to really take more than a casual interest when you have access to better competitions. I would like to see the A-League improve because it also helps our game as well.

Colk

First Grade

Wb1234

Referee
I don’t mind the anti nsw passion

but all the news ltd super league rhetoric is for the dinosaurs. Even bennett said if he knew how super league was going to turn out the broncos wouldnt have started it

nsw isn’t the enemy of Queensland rugby league afl is

the afl is doing everything it can to break into nsw and qld. Their strong heartland clubs are taking 12 million pa less in funding so their expansion clubs can get a huge leg up

Wb1234

Referee
Then there's this.

Vlandys could have helped de-clutter the oversaturated Sydney landscape by helping to facilitate a relocation of the Sharks. He did the exact opposite.

He also said if any Sydney club goes broke they won’t receive any more handouts

I mean the sharks have gone on to win a premiership and have hundreds of millions in assets now maybe it was the right decision not to cut them

Colk

First Grade
I don’t mind the anti nsw passion

but all the news ltd super league rhetoric is for the dinosaurs. Even bennett said if he knew how super league was going to turn out the broncos wouldnt have started it

nsw isn’t the enemy of Queensland rugby league afl is

Look in a perfect world you would have had a semi merger between the QRL and NSWRL back when SOO started and Newtown kicked the bucket.

You would have then had the scope to have 4 or 5 QLD sides or at the very least allowed that many to enter the NSW Competition.

Anyway there are plenty of similar hypotheticals to be made about this great game - what if Super League didn’t happen, what if Perth and Adelaide and a few others weren’t cut, what if Sydney teams relocated instead of merged, what if we just kept expanding and a few teams died of national attrition.

We have got what we have got. We’re not in a bad position and there is potential if we have a long term strategy and make good decisions from here on in.

Colk

First Grade
He also said if any Sydney club goes broke they won’t receive any more handouts

I mean the sharks have gone on to win a premiership and have hundreds of millions in assets now maybe it was the right decision not to cut them

I thought this discussion/intervention happened after they won the competition. It was probably around the whole peptide drama

Wb1234

Referee
I thought this discussion/intervention happened after they won the competition. It was probably around the whole peptide drama
Could be
Look in a perfect world you would have had a semi merger between the QRL and NSWRL back when SOO started and Newtown kicked the bucket.

You would have then had the scope to have 4 or 5 QLD sides or at the very least allowed that many to enter the NSW Competition.

Anyway there are plenty of similar hypotheticals to be made about this great game - what if Super League didn’t happen, what if Perth and Adelaide and a few others weren’t cut, what if Sydney teams relocated instead of merged, what if we just kept expanding and a few teams died of national attrition.

We have got what we have got. We’re not in a bad position and there is potential if we have a long term strategy and make good decisions from here on in.
Yes we are In good shape despite super league. And your old mate is actually trying to grow the game when nobody else could unless you count gallop and the titans

let’s see where the game is in five years with 18 teams even if it’s Perth or more hopefully nz2 on top of the dolphins

the dolphins have been pretty much written off by the so called experts on this forum and I think they can be one of the worlds richest rugby leagues clubs and are going to be a major success

Colk

First Grade
Could be

Yes we are In good shape despite super league. And your old mate is actually trying to grow the game when nobody else could unless you count gallop and the titans

let’s see where the game is in five years with 18 teams even if it’s Perth or more hopefully nz2 on top of the dolphins

the dolphins have been pretty much written off by the so called experts on this forum and I think they can be one of the worlds richest rugby leagues clubs and are going to be a major success

I have no doubt that they are and will be a financially strong club which is half the battle. If they start playing more and more outside of Brisbane then the question is whether they meet the strategic aims but anyway let’s see how they go.

I hope they fit the bill and I’m curious to see how they go

Wb1234

Referee
I have no doubt that they are and will be a financially strong club which is half the battle. If they start playing more and more outside of Brisbane then the question is whether they meet the strategic aims but anyway let’s see how they go.

I hope they fit the bill and I’m curious to see how they go
They will be far stronger than the crushers would ever have been even without super league

the jets don’t have a leagues club that’s where they need to work on their bid is financially weak. The guys behind the bombers were full of bs.

shame easts would never be allowed in but it is what it is. Demerging wests tigers and letting easts take the Balmain legacy would be huge

Colk

First Grade
They will be far stronger than the crushers would ever have been even without super league

the jets don’t have a leagues club that’s where they need to work on their bid is financially weak. The guys behind the bombers were full of bs.

shame easts would never be allowed in but it is what it is. Demerging wests tigers and letting easts take the Balmain legacy would be huge

That was something that was actually discussed in the late 90’s I believe (not sure how serious those discussions were though). In hindsight, it would have been a lot better outcome than the Wests Tigers have been but anyway.

Hypothetically, it would have been interesting and probably more fruitful for the competition if a few Sydney teams were relocated rather than dissolved/merged. The only merger that has worked (barely really) is the Dragons and that was because it was a takeover, they had the same colours and they were relatively geographically adjacent. Wests Tigers haven’t worked and Northern Eagles was a disaster.