What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

Walpole

Juniors
I don't recall too many teams talking shit after winning a comp to be honest. That's not to say it hasn't happened because I'm sure it has (Especially privately) but moreso that it isn't common publicly.
Dragons fans will bring up Alfie's "St George can't play" taunt. Only thing wrong is that he was ahead of his time. We actually could play back then, not so much any more.

mxlegend99

Referee
The only thing I have issue with being said is Fish saying this is the greatest Panthers team ever.

The 90/91 was pretty f**king special. If not for losing a player tragically through the year they could have probably had a bit of a dynasty themselves. This is our most successful team ever. But you can't ever really compare it to the 90s potential success due to the circumstances which tore them apart.

Eels like to call themselves our bigger brothers. So a few of us now said we're their daddy's. Than backed it up by giving them a big lesson on the biggest stage of all. The comments by players are all in good fun. The we hate Parra chant is just everyone jumping in on a fan started chant. Eels fans not long ago were doing the same shit to the Bulldogs. I doubt many Panthers fans actually hate Eels though. I got so many Eels fans as mates and it's all in good fun stirring each other. Given location to each other it's impossible for Panthers and Eels fans not to crossover with friendships. Or even in relationships. Although i haven't really given any of my mates shit after this win because i remember how 2020 felt. And none of them were really dicks about beating us twice in the regular season.

Api mocking the Tigers wasn't even that bad. He just had a chuckle saying he hopes they can send him out a winner too... The chuckle being because his teammates have been giving him shit about joining them and not playing finals footy again.

That said it's good that we're painting targets on our backs to create rivalries with other clubs. Being the hunted seems to work for us and helps keep the guys performing consistently. The regular season especially must get difficult to maintain the efforts they were putting in every week even for games with nothing on the line. Ivan actually got us performing for every match and had us fully fit and healthy for finals still. Took a bit of luck to manage the season that way. But a lot of effort to be so far ahead of the competition we could plan for finals weeks in advance.

yobbo84

First Grade
Just like Ciraldo became the no.1 targeted assistant coach, whoever is head of high performance at Penrith surely becomes the no.1 target for other clubs?

Fitness and conditioning they are ahead of the other 15 clubs by some margin.

soc123_au

Staff member
Cause he's too lazy
200.webp

Smug Panther

First Grade
Just like Ciraldo became the no.1 targeted assistant coach, whoever is head of high performance at Penrith surely becomes the no.1 target for other clubs?

Can't teach ticker and most your boys just don't have it

soc123_au

Staff member
I doubt many Panthers fans actually hate Eels though. I got so many Eels fans as mates and it's all in good fun stirring each other. Given location to each other it's impossible for Panthers and Eels fans not to crossover with friendships. Or even in relationships. Although i haven't really given any of my mates shit after this win because i remember how 2020 felt. And none of them were really dicks about beating us twice in the regular season.
This. I was in year 5 in 1981 which is around the age the team you support becomes the one you stick with for life. Penrith were dire at that stage and pretty much all the other kids were Parra supporters. There were 2 of us that stuck with Penrith and I'd say it's only due to our parents being die hard Panthers that we stuck solid, threat of being 9 years old and homeless can be pretty convincing. lol.
My best mate is a Parra fan and was sitting next to me on Sunday night. I offered him a high 5 when To'o crossed for his first to which he politely declined. I cheered hard all game obviously, but kept a bit of a lid on it for his sake. A lot of that was due to how it felt in 2020 and 1990 and it's not like it's their first rodeo as losers either, so they know the feeling without a mate rubbing in the salt.

Reflector

Juniors
I still shake my head at the outrage he copped for draping the aboriginal flag over his shoulders in an ad.
Was it outrage?

I just found it odd that they focused solely on him, in a code that's always had plenty of indigenous players. Felt like shoe-horned AFL tokenism when it wasn't necessary.

Reflector

Juniors
Pissed idiots act like pissed idiots. Won’t someone think of the children. Some of you f**kers should give up on rugby league and find a nice spelling bee team to support.
They'd be all well and good with that-

Until some Aboriginal kid gets up and is asked to spell 'Mercurial'...

Munky

Coach

There's a bloke in the Penrith board who gets very reliable inside info (if not an actual insider).

All of the above.
It's the system. We get the best out of our players, even the plodders. The lazy ones and bad attitudes get moved on quickly. If you miss or turn up late to a training session, or stray from your nutrition plan that is a big deal. That is part of Ivan's culture. Every little thing makes a difference. If you don't do the hard yards someone else will and they will take your spot.

They are well coached and everyone knows their job.

Also not to be underestimated is the drive of certain players like Nathan and Yeo who want to win every year. Some players are happy with one title, others like them are not. The same mindset Lockyer and Cam Smith had. We they lose it burns them for more success. They try even harder next time. That attitude rubs off on their teammates.

Sounds like Ivan put a broom through the club in 2019 and wanted only certain types of players. Unlike the Storm Penrith can identify the physical freaks who have a great attitude quite early on due to the size of the junior catchment.

We have a bit of plod in and around the first grade squad but nothing compared to say Brian Norrie who was near the best player on the pitch in a GF for the Storm.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I don't have a problem with Penriths antics.
They won carry on however they like.

I don't support them so there behaviour doesn't concern me.

Parra have been gracious in defeat we lost to the better team. Been no bitching or whinging just got outplayed while not showing up for more then 5 mins either didn't help.

If they hate Parra that's fine.

Parra don't particularly like Penrith either so the feeling is mutual just like the local derby between Souths and Roosters.

Except I still feel like Panthers and Eels fans could sit down and have a beer together after a game.

Where I don't think the rabbits and Roosters fans could be trusted in the same room together.
Agreed whole heartedly, westies can cheer each other on versus someone else too...
And gutho was a fkn man bout it all, he stood tall and owned that loss in what i saw was grace, extremely humble about the whole situation... if I was a pawwa fan (shoot me) nah seriously he done you guys proud the way he took it all... besides GFs dont fall off trees, the eels had to take out the cows who could have just as easily won that game they didn't prior

Last edited:

Latest posts