What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Relative to your friends at the AFL though....(2022, 2023 predicted revenue) the trend is pretty good, the gap closes a little but more - last year was the closest its ever been - probably the closest it will be until 2028 when the next NRL deal is done, unless Vlandys can convince broadcasters to come to the party in 2025
(This response is not particularly aimed at you Wookie.) But that - the highlighted one - is the key sentence. Despite not having a truly national competition and a mistimed broadcast deal renewal, we`ve narrowed the gap like never before. A portend of things to come.

Exactly

but nrl is rectifying this

I can see both afl and nrl having 20 teams

and when that happens 40 percent of the afl is going to be very weak clubs
How do you conclude that 40% of AwFuL clubs are weak?

What are their finances compared to the NRL?

Are there any AwFuL clubs generating as little money as the Sharks?

Here's a couple of Melbourne AwFuL Clubs.

St Kilda Saints

Sponsorship and Events
$8,468,152
Social Club
$1,555,772
Merchandise
$1,527,661
Membership and Reserved Seat
$8,134,220
[Match Returns and Secondary Market[/b]
$1,284,642
AwFuL Standard Grant
$11,253,828
AwFuL Variable Grant
$6,665,156

Essendon

Annual Grant from AwFuL
$10,731,224
Marketing
$11,862,960
Membership
$12,029,625
Merchandise
$452,004
Gate Receipt
$4,175,914
Windy Hill Fitness Centre
$1,237,403
Venues - Food and Liquor
$1,814,796
Venues - Other
$5,979,899

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exponential growth is unrealistic. The 68% growth from 2012 to 2013 reflects a more mature broadcast deal as a result of News leaving the NRL partnership. That was never going to happen again.

2018 came off the back of a new TV deal.

Relative to your friends at the AFL though....(2022, 2023 predicted revenue) the trend is pretty good, the gap closes a little but more - last year was the closest its ever been - probably the closest it will be until 2028 when the next NRL deal is done, unless Vlandys can convince broadcasters to come to the party in 2025.
I wouldn’t expect 68%. 30% possible looking at recent tv deals for major sports competitions in the world. But 6%? that is some shthouse deal! $500mill should have been a realistic goal based on what we saw happen for afl.

how do you figure the gap is getting Smaller? Next year nrl are forecasting $640 and afl with its $473mill tv deal kicking in is likely to be around $850.

last year was covid anomaly in 2025 the gap could be ad high as $400mill!

Perth Red

Post Whore
(This response is not particularly aimed at you Wookie.) But that - the highlighted one - is the key sentence. Despite not having a truly national competition and a mistimed broadcast deal renewal, we`ve narrowed the gap like never before. A portend of things to come.
That’s some very selective data reading! Last year the gap was smaller due to covid tv rights hit for afl,and two soo for nrl. It will resume back to its normal$200mill plus next year then balloon in 2025 to never before seen distance between the two codes revenue, unless pistol.Pete’s magic tricks happen.

Wb1234

Referee
If clubs and players weren’t so greedy the arlc would be making so much money it could be investing in things which set the game up for life

and despite both getting more than they deserve they still aren’t happy and are angling for more

they aren’t the sole stake holders of the game

the governing body should be allowed to build for the future

Storm80

Juniors
What they get at the AFLW GF? Something like a sell out 7,500 spectators. In south west Brisbane, Springfield.

AFLW is probably the biggest sporting attendance for either code south of the Gabba since Broncos left QE2.

The only sporting code attempting to build support and have a presence in the south and west Brisbane (where the population growth is biggest) is the AFL.

Add to that AFL have $500m to out spend NRL between 2025-27.

Both decisions, the dolphins and tv rights negotiations were made by the current administration. They will be two decisions that haunt NRL for generations to come.

Expansion is only a positive when you select the right locations to expand into and it draws significant increases in revenue (i.e. tv and rights).

What we now have in South East Queensland is:

1. one NRL club (Titans) and two AFL clubs (Suns and Lions) located south of the Brisbane river and north of the NSW border.

2. two NRL clubs (broncos and dolphins) north of the river and isolated from the key growth region AFL is trying to exploit.

How anyone thinks this outcome is good for the game or it’s growth is beyond me. It’s beyond mediocre, it’s obscene. And it will impact the game for generations, not just one financial year.

If people think “good” or “competent” NRL decision making is $500m less than AFL for tv rights and gifting AFL a foothold in south and west Brisbane - then god help us.

Then there’s the CBA, another thing the racing industry doesn’t have to deal with, which has been an absolute cluster f**k.

It seems the two things the racing industry doesn’t have - CBAs and significant media rights deals - And it’s two of the biggest cock ups by the current administration.

But anyways, I suppose if you over look the above failings … then sure focusing on revenue growth is about the only KPI you can point to that demonstrates some level of competence at NRL HQ. That ain’t the one and only KPI you look at though.

Imagine how much bigger revenue growth would be with a proper tv rights deal. And revenue doesn’t explain the mediocre decision to expand with the dolphins, which I guarantee wouldn’t be as financially successful for the code as Brisbane Firehawks.

The Sydney PVL lovers here will always go “look at revenue, he’s awesome”… Us rugby league lovers will always go “but it should have been bigger because of x,y and z… where’s the revenue being spent? Is grassroots getting supported? Why does News Ltd still impact decision making so much etc etc”.

The difference in attitude is simply - real rugby league fans just don’t settle for mediocrity or incompetence.

No administrator has ever sat over a period of time where their was $500m difference in a 3 year period between league and AFL. It’s unheard of. Its the worst result in league history.

But but but… revenue…

If clubs and players weren’t so greedy the arlc would be making so much money it could be investing in things which set the game up for life

and despite both getting more than they deserve they still aren’t happy and are angling for more

they aren’t the sole stake holders of the game

the governing body should be allowed to build for the future
I don't blame the players for wanting a larger share of the revenue. They are risking their long-term health for their clubs and fans. The clubs shouldn't be getting anything other than money to cover the salary cap.

mongoose

Coach
What they get at the AFLW GF? Something like a sell out 7,500 spectators. In south west Brisbane, Springfield.

AFLW is probably the biggest sporting attendance for either code south of the Gabba since Broncos left QE2.

The only sporting code attempting to build support and have a presence in the south and west Brisbane (where the population growth is biggest) is the AFL.

Both decisions, the dolphins and tv rights negotiations were made by the current administration. They will be two decisions that haunt NRL for generations to come.

Expansion is only a positive when you select the right locations to expand into and it draws significant increases in revenue (i.e. tv and rights).

1. one NRL club (Titans) and two AFL clubs (Suns and Lions) located south of the Brisbane river and north of the NSW border.

2. two NRL clubs (broncos and dolphins) north of the river and isolated from the key growth region AFL is trying to exploit.

How anyone thinks this outcome is good for the game or it’s growth is beyond me. It’s beyond mediocre, it’s obscene. And it will impact the game for generations, not just one financial year.

If people think “good” or “competent” NRL decision making is $500m less than AFL for tv rights and gifting AFL a foothold in south and west Brisbane - then god help us.

Then there’s the CBA, another thing the racing industry doesn’t have to deal with, which has been an absolute cluster f**k.

It seems the two things the racing industry doesn’t have - CBAs and significant media rights deals - And it’s two of the biggest cock ups by the current administration.

But anyways, I suppose if you over look the above failings … then sure focusing on revenue growth is about the only KPI you can point to that demonstrates some level of competence at NRL HQ. That ain’t the one and only KPI you look at though.

Imagine how much bigger revenue growth would be with a proper tv rights deal. And revenue doesn’t explain the mediocre decision to expand with the dolphins, which I guarantee wouldn’t be as financially successful for the code as Brisbane Firehawks.

The Sydney PVL lovers here will always go “look at revenue, he’s awesome”… Us rugby league lovers will always go “but it should have been bigger because of x,y and z… where’s the revenue being spent? Is grassroots getting supported? Why does News Ltd still impact decision making so much etc etc”.

The difference in attitude is simply - real rugby league fans just don’t settle for mediocrity or incompetence.

No administrator has ever sat over a period of time where their was $500m difference in a 3 year period between league and AFL. It’s unheard of. Its the worst result in league history.

But but but… revenue…
Broncos are not a Northside team though, just because their LC and training ground is there. It's more inner west really... I kind of agree with you regarding the Dolphins - I think we needed another team that would pull from all over the city and yes especially the south side. Redcliffe is far northside... but anyway no one know how this will pan out.

docbrown

Coach
Broncos are not a Northside team though, just because their LC and training ground is there. It's more inner west really... I kind of agree with you regarding the Dolphins - I think we needed another team that would pull from all over the city and yes especially the south side. Redcliffe is far northside... but anyway no one know how this will pan out.
It’s such a bizarre a statement. Who do they think people on the Southside have been supporting for 30 years? If anything Brisbane Broncos aren’t a north or south side team. They’re a national brand with fans in pretty much every state.

docbrown

Coach
Each round will still only have 8 games maximum however (right?).

When team 18 comes on board (which should be sooner rather than later), it jumps to 9 games, and for mine, when we can be asking for even more $
I posted this on the TV thread. Bring in an 18th team and you get 12 extra games to sell. Add one more round you get 9 more. 21 in total. Put those in a non competing time slot like Sunday or Monday nights and you can sell it to rival networks before the current deal expires.

The AFL are investing heavily in Logan, Ipswich and southeast Brisbane. There's the Lions@Springwood Social Club and the training base at Springfield. Abdo and V'landys ignored this market and placed a team in Moreton Bay. It's as if the ARLC are conceding southeast Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Gold Coast to the AFL.

The ARLC don't give a f**k about RL in Queensland. If they did then they would invest in Logan, Ipswich and southeast Brisbane. The QRL have left Logan without a Queensland Cup team for 20 years.

The two places the QRL can least afford to lose marketshare is Logan and Ipswich as that's where a great deal of the talent is from. We have the most incompetent and useless administration in world sport alongside the ARU.

It comes down to self-interest from the Broncos, Titans, Sydney RL clubs and QRL.

Technically they're inner northwest where the Western Suburbs Panthers, Fortitude Valley Diehards and Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns were based.

The QRL has historically shown scant interest in expanding the BRL/Queensland Cup beyond this small proximity. Eastern Suburbs Tigers and Southern Suburbs Magpies are based not too far away from this concentrated part of inner Brisbane. Northern Suburbs Devils are very close to it, too. The only clubs from beyond this region that were introduced are the Redcliffe Dolphins and Wynnum Manly Seagulls around the mid-20th century when the BRL was strong. The Ipswich Jets were introduced in thd dying days of the BRL and the Logan City Scorpions were brought in to A Grade when it became a second-tier league with little media coverage.

The Crushers were based out of Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns' old stomping grounds.

The Easts Tigers' Brisbane Firehawks bid intended on creating a genuine northwest vs southeast rivalry and have a footprint extending all the way down the eastern suburbs of Brisbane and Logan. They're now affiliated with the Ipswich Swifts, which suggests they're planning on covering Ipswich as well when they bid again for an NRL licence. You can see their affiliations on their site.

The 20-22 Strategic Plan shows Easts Tigers' expansion plans.

On page 11 of the report it shows the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club Inc pyramid structure.

The core of their business model is the Brisbane Tigers, with teams under this brand playing in the Queensland Cup, QRLW, Colts, U18 and U16 completions.

Easts Tigers continue to field teams from U6 through to Opens.
Underneath that they have subdistrict clubs in the Flagstone Tigers and Yarrabilba Tigers in Logan's outer south-east. There's also the affiliate schools and clubs in Logan's north-east and Brisbane's east.

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Technically they're inner northwest where the Western Suburbs Panthers, Fortitude Valley Die-hards and Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns were based.

The QRL has down sweet f**k all to expand the BRL/Queensland Cup beyond this proximity. Eastern Suburbs Tigers and Southern Suburbs Magpies are based not too far away from this concentrated part of inner Brisbane. Northern Suburbs Devils are very close to it, too. The only clubs from beyond this region that they introduced were the Redcliffe Dolphins and Wynnum Manly Seagulls. The Ipswich Jets were introduced in te dying says of the BRL and the Logan City Scorpions were brought in to A Grade when it became a second-tier league.

The Crushers were based out of Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns old stomping grounds.

The Easts Tigers were going to create a genuine northwest vs southeast rivalry and have a footprint expanding all the way down the eastern suburbs of Brisbane and Logan. They're now affiliated with the Ipswich Swifts, which suggests they're planning on covering Ipswich as well when they bid again for an NRL licence. You can see their affiliations on their site.

Look it`s not only the QRL. I heard an interview with Mike Eden ex-Manly, Roosters player a few years ago. He runs a successful Law practice in Albury these days and still maintains a strong interest in League. He said a NSW Cup team based out of that city would do wonders against the encroachment being threatened by the bucket loads of money being thrown at the area by fumbleball. He seemed to think that it could be financially viable and would be very popular.
When I heard him speak, very eloquent and measured, it gave the impression that the idea was a no-brainer.

The_Wookie

Bench
I wouldn’t expect 68%. 30% possible looking at recent tv deals for major sports competitions in the world. But 6%? that is some shthouse deal! $500mill should have been a realistic goal based on what we saw happen for afl.

how do you figure the gap is getting Smaller? Next year nrl are forecasting $640 and afl with its $473mill tv deal kicking in is likely to be around $850.

Did you take me out of context? thats getting around Im told.

Relative to your friends at the AFL though....(2022, 2023 predicted revenue) the trend is pretty good, the gap closes a little but more - last year was the closest its ever been - probably the closest it will be until 2028 when the next NRL deal is done, unless Vlandys can convince broadcasters to come to the party in 2025

the trend shows the gap between the two is closer - I expect that trend to be maintained this year - before dipping next year slightly.

nrlrev-png.68437

Also note that single digit growth is the norm outside the first year of a broadcast deal (2022 and 2023 est)

revincreases.png

And as this demonstrates, the NRL does pretty well if you STOP FREAKING OUT ABOUT THE AFL EVERY OTHER POST DUDE
codereviews.PNG

Colk

First Grade
Look it`s not only the QRL. I heard an interview with Mike Eden ex-Manly, Roosters player a few years ago. He runs a successful Law practice in Albury these days and still maintains a strong interest in League. He said a NSW Cup team based out of that city would do wonders against the encroachment being threatened by the bucket loads of money being thrown at the area by fumbleball. He seemed to think that it could be financially viable and would be very popular.
When I heard him speak, very eloquent and measured, it gave the impression that the idea was a no-brainer.

The interview subject is correct. That is how you would base a second division competition put them in regions like Albury, Tamworth, Coffs in NSW and Mackay, Rockhampton and Cairns in QLD

Latest posts