What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not to mention lack of stadia. I mean we’d need to build or extend stadiums to the tune of many billions of $’s. We only have three rectangular stadiums in either countries and only one of those that could host opener, 1/4‘s, semi‘s and final currently meet criteria.

we‘d need to build or extend 7 stadiums to 40k and 3-4 would need to be 60k.

new 40k stadiums for
auckland
wellington
perth
adelaide

extend
commbank 40k
penrith 40k
Christchurch 40k
dunedin 40k

aami 60k
allianz 60k
suncorp 60k

anz as is for opener and final

how much would that little lot cost? Nsw doesnt want to spend $300mill lol

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I'd agree with you on this one. TV revenue is a big driver for FIFA, and the fact is that for much of the world, especially Europe, the time zones are not favourable for them if it was held in Australia.

SE Asia would be a massive market would it not. You would have near 1/3 of the world’s population pretty much in our time zone . Doesn’t mean we are going to get it but they did have Japan/South Korea host it and there is only one hour difference.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Wasn’t sure if distance and time zones would be a factor which is why I thought east coast AUS and North/South NZ if it’s a combined hosting effort. I have no idea of course, was just wonder if it would be an issue because Perth and NZ are so far apart.

It would be a hurdle for sure. You would just have to give teams travelling from west to east or vice versa an extra day to recover

I'd agree with you on this one. TV revenue is a big driver for FIFA, and the fact is that for much of the world, especially Europe, the time zones are not favourable for them if it was held in Australia.
As Colk said They held it in Japan and South Korea and they are 1 or 2 hrs behind Australia time wise.

Matches in Qatar are also being played during the day.

Wb1234

Referee
The stadium is really central. In Newcastle “CBD” doesn’t really mean the same thing as Sydney or Melbourne.

The master plan is for the whole precinct. I don’t expect the stadium will get much if anything.
It’s not near fannies

Wb1234

Referee
As Colk said They held it in Japan and South Korea and they are 1 or 2 hrs behind Australia time wise.

Matches in Qatar are also being played during the day.
Yeh and Qatar isn’t really a good precedent to follow

worst World Cup ever

they will need those rent a crowd guys to come here if most of the games are during the day

Timbo

Staff member
Newcastle is fine as it is and really at best needs 50 to 100 mill to do either ends

real shame they never got a ground in the actual cbd but many rugby league grounds aren’t in the town centres

Phase 2 of the light rail - if they ever do it - is extending it to the stadium. Could basically go door-to-door from the stadium to Fannies in about ten minutes.

The new masterplan for the area also includes an entertaiment precinct with bars and restaurants.

Timbo

Staff member
The problem with us bidding for the WC any time soon is a lot of the stadiums that were in our bid for 2022 have now been built but at levels not sufficient for the WC, which requires a minimum capacity of 40,000.

For example, the bid included new 40,000 seat stadiums in Western Sydney and Townsville that would be downgraded to 25-30,000 after the cup. You can't really get CommBank and CountryBank to that number now. Also still far too many cricket ovals in a potential Australian bid, and it's made worse if you co-bid with NZ - they're all cricket grounds.

Australia put in a number of Olympic bids before Sydney got over the line. A country needs to demonstrate a will/desire as well as demonstrating being able to meet the infrastructure requirements and bribe demands. Even the States got knocked back a couple of times. Not sure we have the appetite to keep bidding and with AFL belligerence (they’d be nuts to assist anyway), we’re not united enough to put together a convincing bid. Looking at Qatar’s stadia just highlights the size of the mountain we need to climb is.

Wb1234

Referee
Phase 2 of the light rail - if they ever do it - is extending it to the stadium. Could basically go door-to-door from the stadium to Fannies in about ten minutes.

The new masterplan for the area also includes an entertaiment precinct with bars and restaurants.
It’s probably too small but the ground the mariners used was in the middle of town wasn’t it ?

at least the current ground is close to west Newcastle leagues club

I’ve never been to the cbd just trained it up to Newcastle

Timbo

Staff member
It’s probably too small but the ground the mariners used was in the middle of town wasn’t it ?

at least the current ground is close to west Newcastle leagues club

I’ve never been to the cbd just trained it up to Newcastle

Nah, it's way out in the suburbs. It's also a Greyhound Track now:

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/the-gardens

As mentioned by someone else, Newcastle is a bit of a funny case because it doesn't really have much of a CBD. There are only a few low-rise office buildings around Newcastle Interchange Station and Honeysuckle that host the handful of white-collar employers in the CBD(Newcastle Council, Nib, Newcastle Permanent, Coal LSL, The Newcastle Herald).

The main white-collar jobs in Newcastle are either teaching, the University or at John Hunter Hospital/Hunter Medical Research Institute.

The bulk of Newcastle's employment still rests by and large on coal mining so it's never had a central hub.

Wb1234

Referee
Nah, it's way out in the suburbs. It's also a Greyhound Track now:

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/the-gardens

As mentioned by someone else, Newcastle is a bit of a funny case because it doesn't really have much of a CBD. There are only a few low-rise office buildings around Newcastle Interchange Station and Honeysuckle that host the handful of white-collar employers in the CBD(Newcastle Council, Nib, Newcastle Permanent, Coal LSL, The Newcastle Herald).

The main white-collar jobs in Newcastle are either teaching, the University or at John Hunter Hospital/Hunter Medical Research Institute.

The bulk of Newcastle's employment still rests by and large on coal mining so it's never had a central hub.
I remember when I went just about half the houses had a knights flag flying on game day

that’s rugby leagues strength is its connection to towns like Newcastle and Townsville

plus when my team got up they tore our flag after the game lmao

and the train trip back to Sydney was an eye opener

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think when Australia last did a bid for the World Cup, I think only 3 stadiums met the FIFA criteria possibly a 4th:

SFS, Stadium Australia, Suncorp and Docklands

I could be wrong but there were also plans for separate stadiums in Canberra, Western Sydney possibly Blacktown or Campbelltown, upgrades to AAMI Park, Robina and Newcastle.

Not sure if it could work even if they were joint bids with NZ.

Australia will co-host the WWC next year. If it's a success, then FIFA may give a second glance towards Aus/NZ.

I do think Aus/ NZ will host it one day, but it may not be in our lifetime.
It’ll all depend on how many people around the world are watching due to time zones. The Sydney Olympics had poor viewership because of it. However, China has grown heaps since then and their living standards with it so you’d have to think that’s possibly another 50/100 (who the f**k knows) million television sets tuning into WWC next year?

Colk

First Grade
It’ll all depend on how many people around the world are watching due to time zones. The Sydney Olympics had poor viewership because of it. However, China has grown heaps since then and their living standards with it so you’d have to think that’s possibly another 50/100 (who the f**k knows) million television sets tuning into WWC next year?

Probably more than that. Probably around 1/4 or 1/5 of their population is around middle class. That and the growth in other countries like Indonesia and Vietnam is what you would sell a WC in this region on. I know it is different but the Australian Open has boomed recently because of that.

Colk

First Grade
I think when Australia last did a bid for the World Cup, I think only 3 stadiums met the FIFA criteria possibly a 4th:

SFS, Stadium Australia, Suncorp and Docklands

I could be wrong but there were also plans for separate stadiums in Canberra, Western Sydney possibly Blacktown or Campbelltown, upgrades to AAMI Park, Robina and Newcastle.

Not sure if it could work even if they were joint bids with NZ.

We would need max 4 stadiums. Eden Park would be big enough if you wanted to include NZ and so would Perth stadium if you were going to include WA.

I think Babyface is right in saying fumbleball would be dead against it and that would be the biggest hurdle but if we were to get it one day, it would be the greatest kick for our game. Our stadium troubles would be largely over and with it would help us overcome the biggest disadvantage we have against the fumblers: that being access to top class facilities and venues.