What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I enjoy it also. Better than the general media beat ups. Im pleased to hear good words spoken about Dan Keir. Hes the merkin that chased and caught Jake to take the pass and score after Jake had taken the intercept 90 meters out and wasnt going to make it to the try line. He looks a goer.
I hope he is not overhyping Jayden Yates. I like the cut of his jib.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The concerns around Hodgson is his injury history nothing to do with what he brings on the field.

The key is to make sure he is on it too contribute.

Gazzamatta

Coach
The concerns around Hodgson is his injury history nothing to do with what he brings on the field.

The key is to make sure he is on it too contribute.
Whilst I agree, wasnt Starling preferred as Hodgson was accused of overplaying his hand and starving his halves/backline of opportunities? It was coming from Pricky though.

Happy MEel

First Grade
How is Mitchell Moses worth more than Munster?

1M per season is plenty. Take it or move on.
Hang on, by all reports Munster was offered far more than $1mill by the Tigers and Dolphins. That would be his “value”. He chose to stay loyal and accept less to stay at Melbourne. I don’t think that decision impacts the market value of halves too much.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s only his value if you think it’s impossible to pay a player more than he’s worth. There are legitimate reasons to pay overs, specifically where it’s impossible to find a player who is both willing to sign for his (assessed) value and also good enough for the role.

In the case of a club’s primary playmaker it might be better to overpay a merkin than have someone who just isn’t good enough. This is how some merkins end up overpaid.

For us we have two halves (and possibly Gutherson as well) who are good enough to be a team’s primary playmaker, meaning there’s less need to overpay any of them. Certainly zero need to overpay both. However if one signs elsewhere the likelihood of overpaying the other one increases. It’s possible both players are waiting for the other to jump.

Cloeel

Juniors
Hang on, by all reports Munster was offered far more than $1mill by the Tigers and Dolphins. That would be his “value”. He chose to stay loyal and accept less to stay at Melbourne. I don’t think that decision impacts the market value of halves too much.

Doesn't mean Moses is worth anywhere near 1.4m to us. It would be brainless for us to be paying that kind of money and impacting our squad balance. Just because we can pay him overs does not mean that we should.

It is actually irrelevant what others clubs would pay Moses as we have already valued his worth to us; which will be reflected in our latest contract offer.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Doesn't mean Moses is worth anywhere near 1.4m to us.
This is a great point as well. His value to us isn’t necessarily the same as it is to other clubs. For example what would be Moses’ value to the Panthers? The answer is close to zero, because they already have two top 17 spine players.

Meanwhile the Tigers have no starting halves contracted for 2024. We don’t either but we have two options we are hoping to retain. The existence of Drown makes Moses less valuable (and vice versa), as nice as it would be to keep both of them. Someone really needs to shit or get off the pot, and that someone might be the club. If we’ve budgeted $2M for the pair it might not be enough to get either of them. We might need to offer one of them $1.2M. Or offer it to both with the understanding that the first one to sign gets the money, and the other offer is withdrawn. But then we lose the possibility of signing both. This might explain the (reported) Christmas/New Year deadline. It’s very exciting.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Doesn't mean Moses is worth anywhere near 1.4m to us. It would be brainless for us to be paying that kind of money and impacting our squad balance. Just because we can pay him overs does not mean that we should.

It is actually irrelevant what others clubs would pay Moses as we have already valued his worth to us; which will be reflected in our latest contract offer.
Yep…..it’s all about squad balance….pay moses $1.4m and we potentially have this:

3. Simonson
6. Drown
7. moses
11. Murchie/doorey

or for similar money we could try:

3. Young $650k (or plays fullback)
6. Drown
7. JA/Sanders/Gutho
12. Fifita $850k

Is option 1 better then option 2 because it has Moses? I say option 2 is a better balanced sided….with 2 players who are potentially genuine x-factor players we don’t have.

not saying option 2 is the path we should necessarily follow but just an example of how losing Moses can improve other spots and offset him leaving….

NOTE - these players are just examples, I am not saying this is who we should specifically target, there are plenty of other options!!!!

Last edited: