What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

redV06

Juniors
DRAGONS COACH ANTHONY GRIFFIN ON CULTURE, HIS FUTURE AND PLAYER RELATIONS

Under-pressure coach Anthony Griffin opens up on the state of the St George Illawarra Dragons in a revealing interview with PHIL ROTHFIELD.
Phil Rothfield

@BuzzRothfield
6 min read
January 29, 2023 - 6:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

A footy club Christmas party at a south coast surf club in December has convinced under-siege St George-Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin that his Dragons will play finals football this year.
Opening up after Saints bombed out of contention last season, Griffin has finally spoken about his team’s culture, his own future, his relationship with the players and the fact the Dragons will need to sign another five players for their 2023 campaign.

He says he feels under no threat and will coach for another decade.

THE CULTURE

In October, only three players turned up to St George-Illawarra’s awards presentation night – Ben Hunt, Zac Lomax and Michael Molo.

Former star Matt Cooper reacted savagely in this column: “The club has no loyalty and honour anymore.”

Griffin admits he was disappointed.

“You can sugar coat it as much as you like but I won’t,” he said. “It wasn’t a good look.

“No-one was happy about it. As a club it wasn’t good enough but we’ve moved forward.

“There were reasons … it was five weeks after we finished. It was the culmination of a lot of things.

“A lot of the players had already gone to the World Cup or were overseas on holiday.”

Still, Griffin insists the camaraderie amongst the playing group is as strong as he’s experienced.

The club held a Christmas party at Woonona Surf Club in December.

“We had 150 turn up,” Griffin says, “Every player, the wives, the partners, the kids, the staff. The board. Everyone was there. It was a fantastic night.

“A great atmosphere with everyone together. It showed me we were going OK.

“I left there knowing there wasn’t a culture problem. It had improved immensely.

“Everyone is on board. They’ve all got a fire in the belly.”

UNDER THE PUMP

Griffin is one of a number of NRL coaches needing wins to survive.

It is a four-man field for first coach sacking – Newcastle’s Adam O’Brien, the Gold Coast’s Justin Holbrook, Brisbane’s Kevin Walters and Griffin.

Griffin has had two years at the Dragons for 11th and 10th-placed finishes.

Before that he’d made the finals in every season at the Broncos and Penrith.

For a coach under siege, it’s hard to tell.

We meet over coffee for this interview. He’s relaxed and looking completely stress-free.

I put to the 56-year-old that he’s got eight weeks to survive. He smirks.

“No, the season goes for 24 weeks,” he says. “That’s all I’m thinking about.

“I can understand it’s topical and you blokes (in the media) generate it.

“It’s just part of the territory. I honestly don’t feel the pressure.

“I’ve never enjoyed an off-season like the one we’re having at the moment.

“The other stuff doesn’t worry me. I’m concentrating on coaching the footy team. Nothing else.

“The plan is to coach for another 10 years.”

THE ROSTER

Just a month out from the start of the season and the Dragons find themselves in a position where they may need to sign an extra five players.

They have only 27 of their 30-man squad secured. Cody Ramsey, who is gone for the year, and Talatau ‘Junior’ Amone, who has been stood down by the NRL, are included in those 27.

The Dragons have approached the NRL to get a salary cap exemption for Ramsey.

They are also looking for cap relief while Amone fights his serious assault charges.

The club could have more $1.5 million to spend to finalise their roster.

GRIFFIN IS IN NO RUSH

He won’t name the players he’s likely to chase.

“It’s a tough market but there will be some quality players become available,” he says

“We’re being patient waiting for the right ones.”

Your columnist suggested to Griffin that he signs too many old players.

George Burgess, Aaron Woods, Josh McGuire, Andrew McCullough and now Ben Murdoch-Masila.

“Is that what you think?” he says. “I also signed Moses Suli and Jaydn Su’a. We have produced Cody Ramsey, Junior Amone and Jayden Sullivan in the last couple of years. What about the Feagai brothers (Mat and Max).

“You want me to keep going?

“Some of the older guys you mentioned were minimum-wage purchases.

“They weren’t high risk. I signed them for depth in the roster.

“We’re actually really doing a good job as a club with the development of our juniors.”

PLAYER RELATIONSHIPS

There was talk last year that Griffin didn’t get along with youngsters Tyrell Sloan and Sullivan.

Burgess also had a crack at on the way out when he retired.

“I just didn’t get along with Hook,” Burgess said. “He made it pretty clear to me, he pretty much wrote me off. At the end of the day all you want is a coach to believe in you.”

Griffin hits back: “That’s life. If it helps that I’m the fall guy, I’m easy.

“You don’t get on with everyone although I thought I had a good relationship with him from my end.

“I’ve got nothing bad to say. I don’t think my coaching was the reason it didn’t work out for him.”

With Sloan and Sullivan, he denies there was an issue.

“I only deal with the truth and the reality of my relationship with them,” he says.

“It’s always been fine. At the moment it’s as strong as it’s ever been.”

On Sloan he adds: “He’s going really well. Got a great attitude. He’s maturing. He sees the opportunity.”

PRESSURE ON COACHES

Last year Trent Barrett, Des Hasler, Nathan Brown and Michael Maguire were all punted.

Before that John Morris, Paul Green, Dean Pay, Anthony Seibold and Stephen Kearney.

I ask Griffin about the pressure and the mental health issue.

“There’s a lot goes into building a successful organisation,” he says.

“Obviously the head coach is the focal point. That’s life.

“As for the criticism, the pressure, the doubt … I’ve been around a while now.

“I’ve made mistakes but as long as you’re true to yourself and you’re confident in yourself.

“If you listen to social media or people whose opinions you don’t value, you’re going to turn yourself inside out. I don’t get distracted by it.

“It’s the same with players and anyone in the public eye.

“If you take on board all the negative stuff, that’s where your mental health can suffer.

“I sleep well at night.”

THIS YEAR

Griffin has confidence in the playing group.

“We can make the playoffs,” he says. “I’ve seen a growth and change.

“We’re not that far away. Last year we were 12 (wins) and 12 (losses)

“We beat ourselves in a quite a few of those games.

“We’ve got something to build off.

“You can see it at training. They’ve all got a fire in the belly.

Highly regarded new assistant coach Ben Woolf is looking after defence, a weakness last year.

“There’s another level in a lot of the players,” Griffin says. “A lot of the boys in their early 20s.

“I’m not interested in what a lot of people think.”

We have a laugh about all the experts who tipped eventual preliminary finalists North Queensland to win the spoon last year, just like his Dragons have already been written off.

LOSING HIS DAD

Griffin’s family was rocked by the sudden death of his father, Vince, during the off-season.

His dad lived in Rockhampton and had lost consciousness by the time Griffin flew in from Sydney.

Vince would religiously phone his son on game day on the morning of every match.

“It knocked me around,” he admits. “I didn’t get to see him before he went.

“He was my mentor and always had good advice for me.

“It was tough. It’s the first time I’ve lost someone so close to me.

“You get an opportunity to reflect and find some peace and I’ve learned a lot from the experience.

“That life isn’t as serious as you sometimes think it is. It’s only short.

“It’s helped with my mindset for the year ahead.”

randomdragon

Juniors
sorry if it’s muddled up don’t know how to copy and paste an article

A footy club Christmas party at a south coast surf club in December has convinced under-siege St George-Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin that his Dragons will play finals football this year.
Opening up after Saints bombed out of contention last season, Griffin has finally spoken about his team’s culture, his own future, his relationship with the players and the fact the Dragons will need to sign another five players for their 2023 campaign.

He says he feels under no threat and will coach for another decade.

The culture​

In October, only three players turned up to St George-Illawarra’s awards presentation night – Ben Hunt, Zac Lomax and Michael Molo.

Former star Matt Cooper reacted savagely in this column: “The club has no loyalty and honour anymore.”

Griffin admits he was disappointed.

“You can sugar coat it as much as you like but I won’t,” he said. “It wasn’t a good look.

“No-one was happy about it. As a club it wasn’t good enough but we’ve moved forward.

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has spoken out to Phil Rothfield. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has spoken out to Phil Rothfield. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images
“There were reasons … it was five weeks after we finished. It was the culmination of a lot of things.
“A lot of the players had already gone to the World Cup or were overseas on holiday.”
Still, Griffin insists the camaraderie amongst the playing group is as strong as he’s experienced.
The club held a Christmas party at Woonona Surf Club in December.
“We had 150 turn up,” Griffin says, “Every player, the wives, the partners, the kids, the staff. The board. Everyone was there. It was a fantastic night.
“A great atmosphere with everyone together. It showed me we were going OK.
“I left there knowing there wasn’t a culture problem. It had improved immensely.
“Everyone is on board. They’ve all got a fire in the belly.”

Under the pump​

Griffin is one of a number of NRL coaches needing wins to survive.
It is a four-man field for first coach sacking – Newcastle’s Adam O’Brien, the Gold Coast’s Justin Holbrook, Brisbane’s Kevin Walters and Griffin.
Griffin has had two years at the Dragons for 11th and 10th-placed finishes.
Before that he’d made the finals in every season at the Broncos and Penrith.
For a coach under siege, it’s hard to tell.

Where will St George Illawarra finish on the ladder this season?​

Top four
Top eight
9th-12th
13th-16th
Cast your vote

We meet over coffee for this interview. He’s relaxed and looking completely stress-free.
I put to the 56-year-old that he’s got eight weeks to survive. He smirks.
“No, the season goes for 24 weeks,” he says. “That’s all I’m thinking about.
“I can understand it’s topical and you blokes (in the media) generate it.
“It’s just part of the territory. I honestly don’t feel the pressure.
“I’ve never enjoyed an off-season like the one we’re having at the moment.
“The other stuff doesn’t worry me. I’m concentrating on coaching the footy team. Nothing else.
“The plan is to coach for another 10 years.”

The roster​

Just a month out from the start of the season and the Dragons find themselves in a position where they may need to sign an extra five players.
They have only 27 of their 30-man squad secured. Cody Ramsey, who is gone for the year, and Talatau ‘Junior’ Amone, who has been stood down by the NRL, are included in those 27.
The Dragons have approached the NRL to get a salary cap exemption for Ramsey.
They are also looking for cap relief while Amone fights his serious assault charges.
The club could have more $1.5 million to spend to finalise their roster.
Griffin is in no rush.
He won’t name the players he’s likely to chase.
Talatau Amone has been stood down while he faces charges.

Talatau Amone has been stood down while he faces charges.
“It’s a tough market but there will be some quality players become available,” he says
“We’re being patient waiting for the right ones.”
Your columnist suggested to Griffin that he signs too many old players.
George Burgess, Aaron Woods, Josh McGuire, Andrew McCullough and now Ben Murdoch-Masila.
“Is that what you think?” he says. “I also signed Moses Suli and Jaydn Su’a. We have produced Cody Ramsey, Junior Amone and Jayden Sullivan in the last couple of years. What about the Feagai brothers (Mat and Max).
“You want me to keep going?
“Some of the older guys you mentioned were minimum-wage purchases.
“They weren’t high risk. I signed them for depth in the roster.
“We’re actually really doing a good job as a club with the development of our juniors.”

Player relationships​

There was talk last year that Griffin didn’t get along with youngsters Tyrell Sloan and Sullivan.
Burgess also had a crack at on the way out when he retired.
“I just didn’t get along with Hook,” Burgess said. “He made it pretty clear to me, he pretty much wrote me off. At the end of the day all you want is a coach to believe in you.”
Griffin hits back: “That’s life. If it helps that I’m the fall guy, I’m easy.
“You don’t get on with everyone although I thought I had a good relationship with him from my end.
English forward George Burgess (left) was critical of coach Anthony Griffin (right) when he left the Dragons. Picture: Julian Andrews

English forward George Burgess (left) was critical of coach Anthony Griffin (right) when he left the Dragons. Picture: Julian Andrews
“I’ve got nothing bad to say. I don’t think my coaching was the reason it didn’t work out for him.”
With Sloan and Sullivan, he denies there was an issue.
“I only deal with the truth and the reality of my relationship with them,” he says.
“It’s always been fine. At the moment it’s as strong as it’s ever been.”
On Sloan he adds: “He’s going really well. Got a great attitude. He’s maturing. He sees the opportunity.”

Pressure on coaches​

Last year Trent Barrett, Des Hasler, Nathan Brown and Michael Maguire were all punted.
Before that John Morris, Paul Green, Dean Pay, Anthony Seibold and Stephen Kearney.
I ask Griffin about the pressure and the mental health issue.
“There’s a lot goes into building a successful organisation,” he says.
“Obviously the head coach is the focal point. That’s life.
“As for the criticism, the pressure, the doubt … I’ve been around a while now.
“I’ve made mistakes but as long as you’re true to yourself and you’re confident in yourself.
“If you listen to social media or people whose opinions you don’t value, you’re going to turn yourself inside out. I don’t get distracted by it.
The Dragons held their Chrismas party at the Woonoona Surf Lifesaving Club.

The Dragons held their Chrismas party at the Woonoona Surf Lifesaving Club.
“It’s the same with players and anyone in the public eye.
“If you take on board all the negative stuff, that’s where your mental health can suffer.
“I sleep well at night.”

This year​

Griffin has confidence in the playing group.
“We can make the playoffs,” he says. “I’ve seen a growth and change.
“We’re not that far away. Last year we were 12 (wins) and 12 (losses)
“We beat ourselves in a quite a few of those games.
“We’ve got something to build off.
“You can see it at training. They’ve all got a fire in the belly.
Highly regarded new assistant coach Ben Woolf is looking after defence, a weakness last year.
“There’s another level in a lot of the players,” Griffin says. “A lot of the boys in their early 20s.
“I’m not interested in what a lot of people think.”
We have a laugh about all the experts who tipped eventual preliminary finalists North Queensland to win the spoon last year, just like his Dragons have already been written off.

Losing his dad​

Griffin’s family was rocked by the sudden death of his father, Vince, during the off-season.
His dad lived in Rockhampton and had lost consciousness by the time Griffin flew in from Sydney.
Griffin is excited by Tyrell Sloan. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Griffin is excited by Tyrell Sloan. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
Vince would religiously phone his son on game day on the morning of every match.
“It knocked me around,” he admits. “I didn’t get to see him before he went.
“He was my mentor and always had good advice for me.
“It was tough. It’s the first time I’ve lost someone so close to me.
“You get an opportunity to reflect and find some peace and I’ve learned a lot from the experience.

“It’s helped with my mindse

saintly1996

Juniors
We simply dont have the forwards to make the top 4. If everything ran our way, Sullivan and Sloan have great years and we get a golden run with injuries we could sneak into the 8.

But a couple of injuries in the forwards or Mbye has to play fullback and the season will go pear shaped very quickly.

Crush

Coach
I think he has the first 6 rounds to show everyone what the Dragons are about, if its a fail he'll be gone, there is just no other way it can be tenable to keep him going, certainly not for 2024 recruiting.
Looking at the draw, we have a very easy first 6 weeks where we really should be winning most games. Then we have a tough few months where I can’t see us winning many, draw finishes with a couple of easy games.

Lethal25

Juniors
Truth is none of us really know if Hook can coach or not, maybe he's doing a great job with the resources he has or maybe he's not. Possibly it's the people around him who have failed to manage the cap and attract any decent players for 23, nothing to do with the coach.

But then he was punted from his previous two clubs and several players have voiced some not so flattering opinions.

Ultimately the club needs to turn things around, there has been serious erosion of the brand. The club is now viewed as an also ran, not a threat. When opposition supporters stop hating the club you know things are dire. From a deep pool of long term haters I've seen a significant shift in this space.

On this forum we see people talking of boycotting games & merchandise. The NRL game allocation speaks volumes in terms of where the club is placed. Round 1 bye, round 2 Sunday 6:15, round 4 Sunday 6:15 (local derby v Sharks). Admittedly it does get a little better in stages of the season but we're certainly not there to kick the season off with a bang.

My opinion, we need a change in coach. Overall the players seemingly haven't responded positively, BBQ gate, awards night, Lomax going backwards, Sloan/Sullivan wanting out. And then externally we have zero quality signings. On the positive side we had Ramsey who is now lost for 23 and Amone who was showing good signs also gone. If Ben Hunt gets injured our attack looks like the 5 metre defence rule has been brought back.

I only hope if he gets chopped the replacement is not an untried ex player, I say bring on Des

justadragon

Bench
Looking at the draw, we have a very easy first 6 weeks where we really should be winning most games. Then we have a tough few months where I can’t see us winning many, draw finishes with a couple of easy games.
Totally agree crush, thats why I said the first 6 rounds, if we should be winning these games and are not then there is no option but to let him go, hopefully Hasler will still be available :)))

Illusion

Bench
Totally agree crush, thats why I said the first 6 rounds, if we should be winning these games and are not then there is no option but to let him go, hopefully Hasler will still be available :)))
Even if he wins those early games , get rid of him ..... Knowing our lot they will do a Mary again win 3 games in a row , first few games then sign Hook again ...... Very possible Last year Hook was signed before a ball was kicked ......

justadragon

Bench

Dragon David

First Grade
Every year its the same thing, we can make the finals, the best pre season ever, we have come a long way, we are rock solid blah blah blah, he is walking on thin ice, he knows it, but what was he going to say :))
I guess he could have said that "the year will be a tough one and there will be times that we will struggle and that while we do have several spots to fill to be roster number compliant, the good ones have already been snapped up because those responsible for recruiting have only just taken over from our old friend Shane Flanagan who we all know did bugger all. So we are still scratching our heads deciding who the hell will be the best fit for us out of the bunch of not so good unwanted players from other clubs".

His answer about his length of time coaching the Dragons this year was that it would be 24 weeks instead of 8 weeks. Maybe the Board has already told him this?

Anyway, whatever will be, will be.

Latest posts