What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
The club must strongly believe Miller is going to deliver substantially better performances at the back than Gagai could. Hodgson isn't ready for NRL just yet.

I hope the lad comes here and kills it, but if not, Gagai can step in but geez what an embarrasment for the club. Trading a young promising player for an end of career reserve grader only to swap Gagai in there.

OB is betting the house on Miller working with Ponga at 5/8 and Hastings arriving and the whole shebang meshing together with OB's scintilating attacking play he is known for.

We are second favourites for the spoon only above the Dolphins.

Geez I'm glad I renewed my membership!
This post hits the mark for me.

Would we honestly have been worse off just going with Gagai, Hodgson and even Mann at fullback this year? Instead of committing 3-years to a reserve grade player at the ripe age of 29 - and also giving up one of our under 20s rep players..

It just screams of madness and desperation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, sometimes I feel AOB is trying to sabotage because he knows he has one foot out the door. Probably extreme thinking but that's how this feels to me.

I personally don’t agree we’re strong at prop, the Saifitis have never shown the ability to put a full season of top level performances together, Hethrington is likely to be moved to an edge and Crocker and Thompson are unproven, beyond them we literally have no one. Signing Miller in a vacuum is not a bad move but it also doesn’t instantly make us contenders and given Miller will be 29 this year it’s not really a long term fix either.
For me the problem with us is all the moves we make aren’t moves that could turn us into a powerhouse instead it’s like we’re happy to limp into the 8 and lose week 1
Our Ball and Flegg sides are stacked with talent, they'll be coming through from 2024 onwards if they are handled right (Big if i know, i know)

We may not see it now but my view is the club is at least attempting to follow the Penrith model of focusing on juniors. The latest recruitment drive has a "These guys will fill the gap until we can get these young fellas through" feel to it and its probably the only way forward for the club given its disadvantages against the big Sydney clubs.

Penrith and Canberra were in a very similar positions 5 years ago and both rebuilt using this model

Bdubs

Juniors
This post hits the mark for me.

Would we honestly have been worse off just going with Gagai, Hodgson and even Mann at fullback this year? Instead of committing 3-years to a reserve grade player at the ripe age of 29 - and also giving up one of our under 20s rep players..

It just screams of madness and desperation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, sometimes I feel AOB is trying to sabotage because he knows he has one foot out the door. Probably extreme thinking but that's how this feels to me.
to answer your question, 100% we would be a worse side with Gagai or Mann at fullback. We have played both there in the past with varies degrees of incompetence. They were horrible to be frank.

As for Hodgson... he is unproven and has barely played a game in the past 3 years mainly due to injuries, so you can't go into the season relying on him. He may be better and more talented than Miller, but he has to stay on the field to prove that. We CAN NOT rely on Gagai or Mann as fullback options.

It does have desperation to the decision, but its a necessary evil in this case and Miller certainly improves our roster in my opinion.

We are in a position where we basically have to build our roster from the ground up and its going to take a couple of years to achieve that, if done properly. We will loose players we want to keep as fans and we will loose some of our promising juniors as well. It is why they would have bought in Parr.

Look at Penrith now and how long it took them to get it right. Don't forget when they started they got rid of players like Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis and a couple of others.

The problem with our position is that we are not a destination players want to go to or even want to stay at once we get them. We need to become a competitive side first where other players will start looking at us and see we are going places and will regularly be in the play offs. That will also help to keep our best juniors.

There are cultural problems in the club which i believe the club has started addressing by recruiting Hastings, Elliott and Hetherington as well as the changes to the coaching staff.

I know it requires us to trust the club to make the right decisions, which they haven't exactly proven they are capable of, but its the position we are currently in. Parr has a huge job in front of him

Old dog

Juniors
We needed a f/b with Ponga moving to 6, not confident that Hodgson, Gagai or Mann could do the job for long periods, Hodgson best option after a time in Cup. This could be Gagai and Mann’s last season.
As for Saf boys it’s time for them to stand up, lead this pack, someone please give them a kick in the backside

Old School

Juniors
What happens if our "Superstar" finds it a bit rough at 5/8 & wants to return to fullback, maybe more money wasted trying to accomodate him.

Knight Tales

Juniors
What happens if our "Superstar" finds it a bit rough at 5/8 & wants to return to fullback, maybe more money wasted trying to accomodate him.
No guarantees. And with Pryce less than 12 months away, I think Miller gets one season to prove himself. I may be wrong but the expectation on Pryce is he starts. Why else would we go to so much trouble. It has been hyped up so much now.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I think fullback was abit rough for him. You can’t protected him from getting cheapshots at Fullback. You can protect him in the front line.
Agree. Best way to protect a weak link in defence is to surround them with big bodies, rather than hide. Hopefully he will slot amongst Elliot/Fitz/Leo etc. Need better from Best too.

shaggs

Coach
Miller was my preference at fullback over kennedey. Take that however you like.

I much prefer a hard running energetic, touch the ball 20 times a game fullback who pushes up in the middle and throws his body in front in defence.
He lacks a little in ball player and set up with sweep moves etc, but gives full effort on every play. Plus is lightning over 20 metres and in broken field tunning

Yosh

Coach
Miller was my preference at fullback over kennedey. Take that however you like.

I much prefer a hard running energetic, touch the ball 20 times a game fullback who pushes up in the middle and throws his body in front in defence.
He lacks a little in ball player and set up with sweep moves etc, but gives full effort on every play. Plus is lightning over 20 metres and in broken field tunning
So he is the anti-Ponga.

Tedesco is all effort, energy and ADHD running. He's effective because he is everywhere and very hard to stop in contact

Ponga is a very different style player. Not sure if want him to play the way Teddy does

Old School

Juniors
Best to leave Precious to just coast & occasionally do something, but just in attack in open space. No taking on the line for Superstar & definitely no defending, he might hurt himself! Heaven forbid.

Old School

Juniors
Luckily I`m an old broken down never was, so there`s your answer & doubt very much that he would have the intent or heart to hurt anyone. Too busy dreaming of strawberry thick-shakes!

Latest posts