What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

twinkletoes

Juniors
"If that changes we'd be interested". f**k me, how about being proactive and doing whatever you can to sell the future of the club and the vision you have. If you sit and wait, does Haran honestly think there's a chance Nanai will one day wake up and think to himself "maybe I'll check out the Dragons and see what they've got to offer". Seriously, I honestly didn't know too much about Haran so reserved judgement on whether he was incompetent or not in this space, but that is bewildering.
Haran is an absolute joke....is he now confirmed as our recruitment manager by default because we don't want to spend the money to hire a proper recruitment manager...someone with a bit of savvy and get up and go..

qld redvee

Juniors
"If that changes we'd be interested". f**k me, how about being proactive and doing whatever you can to sell the future of the club and the vision you have. If you sit and wait, does Haran honestly think there's a chance Nanai will one day wake up and think to himself "maybe I'll check out the Dragons and see what they've got to offer". Seriously, I honestly didn't know too much about Haran so reserved judgement on whether he was incompetent or not in this space, but that is bewildering.
Parko
agree - lets fire in an offer for nanai to let ayoub know we are serious about signing him . we cant just continue to think that a player could be a good fit but then not chase up with offers that all the manager is worried about . Christ we sniffed around spencer lenui but obviously didnt make an offer to get him "straight" away sat back and let the dogs sign a new coach and then dogs get spencer ... If we have the money then go for a marquee signing dont sit back waiting while stronger more appealing clubs think about it .. BUT we will dive straight in to sign a neville nobody .. definitely we are struggling in our recruitment / list management ( thankyou flanno !)
this is one area we need to be so bloody professional in

Dragon David

First Grade
Parko
agree - lets fire in an offer for nanai to let ayoub know we are serious about signing him . we cant just continue to think that a player could be a good fit but then not chase up with offers that all the manager is worried about . Christ we sniffed around spencer lenui but obviously didnt make an offer to get him "straight" away sat back and let the dogs sign a new coach and then dogs get spencer ... If we have the money then go for a marquee signing dont sit back waiting while stronger more appealing clubs think about it .. BUT we will dive straight in to sign a neville nobody .. definitely we are struggling in our recruitment / list management ( thankyou flanno !)
this is one area we need to be so bloody professional in
"this is one area we need to be so bloody professional in"
Absolutely qld redvee.

Gareth67

First Grade
What an absolute contrast to the recruitment skills of Frank Facer and what we have nowadays . Long gone I realize , however the talent that the man brought to the Dragons over his time was simply unbelievable .

And his managerial skills were silky smooth , if only we had someone with a tenth of his ability , then I am sure that our club over the last five years or so would not look like the last refuge of the homeless and desperate . 🥺

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Just read that Dragons will miss out on Spencer Lenui to the Dogs because they were sluggish in their attempts to sign him. Dogs made aware of Saints stalling and quickly went in and got the deal done. What a joke the Saints recruitment has become.

I was really hoping they would get him. How sad is that. Another Panther to the Dogs.

It was on an NRL Facebook page and I cannot remember which one.
Haran as a recruitment manager is laughable. When will Saints Learn? For goodness sake, who decided not to appoint a recruitment officer? Approach Nathan Brown and sign him up now.

Drakon

Juniors

‘Stop sooking’: Why Dragons can thank 81-year-old nan for Sloan’s release backflip​

By Dan Walsh

February 8, 2023 — 6.04pm

If Tyrell Sloan goes on to deliver on his undoubted potential as one of the Dragons’ most promising juniors in years, then the Red V has an 81-year-old South Coast grandmother to thank.
Unhappy and out of first grade for much of 2022, Sloan admits he kicked stones and ‘hid’ from coach Anthony Griffin before eventually requesting an early release from the remaining two years on his Dragons deal.
Colleen Sloan, the Dapto matriarch who fought for custody of the Indigenous All Stars flyer and raised him, knew something wasn’t right with her grandson.
“I was a bit ashamed to tell her because I don’t like seeing her get emotional,” Sloan recalled after a pre-season that has everyone at St George Illawarra raving.

“She just said ‘suck it up. You’re 19 years old. You’re not a boy anymore’. My Nan’s my inspiration and she actually told me ‘stop being a sook and just take it on’. If I didn’t listen I’d probably get a hiding.

“She tipped me up and said get in there and sort it out. That was one thing I wanted to do, clear it up with Hook [Griffin].
“I actually praise him a lot now because I understand why I did get dropped last year.”
Cody Ramsey’s debilitating bout of ulcerative colitis has ruled him out of rugby league for at least a year and given Sloan a clear run at the Dragons No.1 jersey.

But while St George Illawarra swiftly knocked back his release request last year, it was the confronting conversation that Colleen urged him to have with Griffin that has since given Sloan a new lease on life in the Red V.
“Last year I didn’t put myself in a position where I could play first grade,” Sloan said.
Tyrell Sloan in the thick of things in Indigenous All Stars camp.

Tyrell Sloan in the thick of things in Indigenous All Stars camp.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
“I was blaming everyone else. I had a good heart-to-heart with the coach and we cleared everything up.
“This year I just want to come back, work hard and earn the respect of my teammates. I think I’ve done that but nothing matters until I put in on the field.

“Last year I was probably hiding from him. I wasn’t putting myself in that position [to be selected].
“I was always trying to get out [after training] quickly. To come back to training this year I wanted to clear it up because I felt like I was walking on eggshells. It definitely doesn’t help your game. I wasn’t really liking football at the time.

“I was only 19 as well last year and I spoke to a lot of senior boys there and they said, ‘You should clear it up and move on’. That’s what I’ve done. I feel like I’ve come back a lot clearer, I’ve cleared my mind.”
With family hailing from Condobolin in central NSW, Sloan represents the Wiradjuri tribe in All Stars camp, where he’s pinching himself to be alongside such greats as assistant coach Matty Bowen and mentor Greg Inglis.

Penrith recruit Tyrone Peachey finished Wednesday’s field session early with a hamstring issue.
But otherwise the Indigenous All Stars were all smiles as they were joined by surviving members of the 1973 tourists, celebrating the 50th anniversary of their groundbreaking trip to New Zealand.
“To be able to come across the ditch and represent everyone back home and the 1973 team, it’s a big privilege,” Sloan said.
“Nan’s very proud. When I called her and told her I was playing All Stars, she gets teary-eyed and it makes me emotional as well just to be able to represent her. That’s my main goal, to put that pride back in the Red V and also for her.”
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

Last edited:

The Word

Juniors

‘Stop sooking’: Why Dragons can thank 81-year-old nan for Sloan’s release backflip​

By Dan Walsh

February 8, 2023 — 6.04pm

If Tyrell Sloan goes on to deliver on his undoubted potential as one of the Dragons’ most promising juniors in years, then the Red V has an 81-year-old South Coast grandmother to thank.
Unhappy and out of first grade for much of 2022, Sloan admits he kicked stones and ‘hid’ from coach Anthony Griffin before eventually requesting an early release from the remaining two years on his Dragons deal.
Colleen Sloan, the Dapto matriarch who fought for custody of the Indigenous All Stars flyer and raised him, knew something wasn’t right with her grandson.
“I was a bit ashamed to tell her because I don’t like seeing her get emotional,” Sloan recalled after a pre-season that has everyone at St George Illawarra raving.

“She just said ‘suck it up. You’re 19 years old. You’re not a boy anymore’. My Nan’s my inspiration and she actually told me ‘stop being a sook and just take it on’. If I didn’t listen I’d probably get a hiding.

“She tipped me up and said get in there and sort it out. That was one thing I wanted to do, clear it up with Hook [Griffin].
“I actually praise him a lot now because I understand why I did get dropped last year.”
Cody Ramsey’s debilitating bout of ulcerative colitis has ruled him out of rugby league for at least a year and given Sloan a clear run at the Dragons No.1 jersey.

But while St George Illawarra swiftly knocked back his release request last year, it was the confronting conversation that Colleen urged him to have with Griffin that has since given Sloan a new lease on life in the Red V.
“Last year I didn’t put myself in a position where I could play first grade,” Sloan said.
Tyrell Sloan in the thick of things in Indigenous All Stars camp.

Tyrell Sloan in the thick of things in Indigenous All Stars camp.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
“I was blaming everyone else. I had a good heart-to-heart with the coach and we cleared everything up.
“This year I just want to come back, work hard and earn the respect of my teammates. I think I’ve done that but nothing matters until I put in on the field.

“Last year I was probably hiding from him. I wasn’t putting myself in that position [to be selected].
“I was always trying to get out [after training] quickly. To come back to training this year I wanted to clear it up because I felt like I was walking on eggshells. It definitely doesn’t help your game. I wasn’t really liking football at the time.

“I was only 19 as well last year and I spoke to a lot of senior boys there and they said, ‘You should clear it up and move on’. That’s what I’ve done. I feel like I’ve come back a lot clearer, I’ve cleared my mind.”
With family hailing from Condobolin in central NSW, Sloan represents the Wiradjuri tribe in All Stars camp, where he’s pinching himself to be alongside such greats as assistant coach Matty Bowen and mentor Greg Inglis.

Penrith recruit Tyrone Peachey finished Wednesday’s field session early with a hamstring issue.
But otherwise the Indigenous All Stars were all smiles as they were joined by surviving members of the 1973 tourists, celebrating the 50th anniversary of their groundbreaking trip to New Zealand.
“To be able to come across the ditch and represent everyone back home and the 1973 team, it’s a big privilege,” Sloan said.
“Nan’s very proud. When I called her and told her I was playing All Stars, she gets teary-eyed and it makes me emotional as well just to be able to represent her. That’s my main goal, to put that pride back in the Red V and also for her.”
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

This is a great story and I really hope he's listening to his coaches, putting in the extras, and giving himself the best chance to fulfill his potential.

Walpole

Juniors
Make the Cowboys up the ante to keep Nanai , and go after LUKI ...
Out much of last season but an absolute beast and future marquee player
Has size , speed, breaks tackles and hits like a sledge hammer
Reminds me a lot of Tallis only bigger
Good call, before last season they were considered fairly even in ability but Luki suffered some injuries and Nanai streaked ahead. We desperately need some quality forwards and these are two of the best young forwards in the game. We need to stop sitting on our hands and go out and get these guys, not wait to see if they show a bit of interest.

denis preston

First Grade
What an absolute contrast to the recruitment skills of Frank Facer and what we have nowadays . Long gone I realize , however the talent that the man brought to the Dragons over his time was simply unbelievable .

And his managerial skills were silky smooth , if only we had someone with a tenth of his ability , then I am sure that our teams over the last five years or so would not look like the last refuge of the homeless and desperate . 🥺
Gareth, great man sure, but he did have the biggest war chest ever over an extended time to buy who he wanted. Paid a Motza for Huddart just so he didn’t play for anyone else. Also paid big money to buy TWO five eights ( Branson & Hawthorn)Paid Wittenberg for the year he wasnt allowed to play ( 1967 ) It wasn’t until the late 60,S that Manly followed suit and splurged a high proportion of the League’s club profits into recruitment.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth, great man sure, but he did have the biggest war chest ever over an extended time to buy who he wanted. Paid a Motza for Huddart just so he didn’t play for anyone else. Also paid big money to buy TWO five eights ( Branson & Hawthorn)Paid Wittenberg for the year he wasnt allowed to play ( 1967 ) It wasn’t until the late 60,S that Manly followed suit and splurged a high proportion of the League’s club profits into recruitment.
Undoubtedly so Dennis , in fact I am sure that the grants from the St.George leagues club pokies was of a greater amount then the coffers of the state government at the time .

However overall the Joint Venture itself has failed to deliver the necessary funding to ensure that the Big Red V is on level pegging with the other 16 teams of the NRL .

Of course there are various reasons for that , whether it be through a lack of a savvy recruitment officer , TPA’s not being fully utilised to their maximum benefit , or just a lack of ambition by the individuals currently in the Dragon boardroom , whom seem to be merely content to have the team in the NRL , rather than hold the Provan and Summons trophy at years end .

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Agree 100%- passive, reactive- all of that. Gould showed the Bulldogs how to attract marquee players to a (formerly) non-performing club by being an effective salesman. Having a vision with a lot of passion.

Haran's message to Nanai should have been- we're not going to leave you alone till you sign with us- you're the future of this proud club and we want you as the flagbearer- or words to that effect.

justadragon

Bench
Agree 100%- passive, reactive- all of that. Gould showed the Bulldogs how to attract marquee players to a (formerly) non-performing club by being an effective salesman. Having a vision with a lot of passion.

Haran's message to Nanai should have been- we're not going to leave you alone till you sign with us- you're the future of this proud club and we want you as the flagbearer- or words to that effect.
Haran would have less than 1% the influence that Gould has, we have no one at the club with that sort of pull, Bennett was the only one who managed to get this club going, as the great man said " I run this football Dept, you leave me alone and just pay the bills" I would have given anything to have him back here, Doust and whoever else were responsible for not signing him to a 5 year deal in the first place should have been put in exile from the club forever !!!

Illusion

Bench
Haran would have less than 1% the influence that Gould has, we have no one at the club with that sort of pull, Bennett was the only one who managed to get this club going, as the great man said " I run this football Dept, you leave me alone and just pay the bills" I would have given anything to have him back here, Doust and whoever else were responsible for not signing him to a 5 year deal in the first place should have been put in exile from the club forever !!!
Thats Doust , but he is back somewhere getting fatter with his mates .....

jak

Bench
Undoubtedly so Dennis , in fact I am sure that the grants from the St.George leagues club pokies was of a greater amount then the coffers of the state government at the time .

However overall the Joint Venture itself has failed to deliver the necessary funding to ensure that the Big Red V is on level pegging with the other 16 teams of the NRL .

Of course there are various reasons for that , whether it be through a lack of a savvy recruitment officer , TPA’s not being fully utilised to their maximum benefit , or just a lack of enthusiasm by the individuals currently in the Dragon boardroom , whom seem to be merely content to be in the NRL , rather than hold the Provan and Summons trophy at years end .
all of the above