What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
The best attended AwFuL game at the Gabba last year was the Elimination Final between Brisbane and Richmond. It drew 35,103 people. The next best game was against Melbourne with an attendance of 32,172.

Can you really say that 32,172 is a sell out when the capacity is 36,000?
If there are no tickets for sale, it is a sell out. The MCG can sell out with 85k. Sometimes reserved seat holders or members don’t all turn up. I certainly am not saying that AFL needs a bigger stadium, just that that between AFL and cricket, the new Gabba will be well patronised and won’t be a white elephant as suggested.

Canard

Immortal
If there are no tickets for sale, it is a sell out. The MCG can sell out with 85k. Sometimes reserved seat holders or members don’t all turn up. I certainly am not saying that AFL needs a bigger stadium, just that that between AFL and cricket, the new Gabba will be well patronised and won’t be a white elephant as suggested.

Any word on where the Lions will play whilst the Gabba is being rebuilt? That's going to be a several year build and there isn't any oval of AFL standard in SEQ besides Carrara.

I assume they relocate to the Goldie like they were originally for a season or two?

Wb1234

Referee
Any word on where the Lions will play whilst the Gabba is being rebuilt? That's going to be a several year build and there isn't any oval of AFL standard in SEQ besides Carrara.

I assume they relocate to the Goldie like they were originally for a season or two?
What about the stadium in Springfield the women play at

Canard

Immortal
What about the stadium in Springfield the women play at

I don't think an 8000 or so capacity suburban ground (its by no means a stadium) is going to cut it somehow.

It will have to be Carrara for mine, which will be a big blow to memberships etc for those affected seasons

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I don't think an 8000 or so capacity suburban ground (its by no means a stadium) is going to cut it somehow.

It will have to be Carrara for mine, which will be a big blow to memberships etc for those affected seasons
Govts usually pay tenants comp when they rebuild grounds to make up for breaking a lease

roosters Waratahs and Sydney fc got maybe ten million each or some large number

Canard

Immortal
Govts usually pay tenants comp when they rebuild grounds to make up for breaking a lease

roosters Waratahs and Sydney fc got maybe ten million each or some large number

Money isn't really the issue for the AFL though is it?

Pneuma

First Grade

Don’t worry. The Tasmanian government is stupid enough to ignore the risk. The peanut in charge just wants to sit next to Gil at the opening game regardless of the cost.

beave

Coach

They could put a heap of temp seating in the joint and maybe get it up to 20k.

i live up the road from it and it's a f**king rort that prime bit of real estate is wasted on that clown club/sport.

Colk

First Grade
Our premier is posting pictures of himself in an old Tassie football jumper holding a Sharon. He’s an idiot

That is ridiculous. What is the feeling down there? Are people against it or are they that brainwashed by the cult that they are for it?

Pneuma

First Grade
That is ridiculous. What is the feeling down there? Are people against it or are they that brainwashed by the cult that they are for it?
1000 submissions written to the committee into the stadium. Strong majority against. Multi party group has stated clearly they are against it. There is no momentum for support other than by the government and some local businesses.