What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs Newcastle @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield

Who will win? Round 2: Wests Tigers v Newcastle

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade

Team List:

1. Daine Laurie - sponsored by Australian Track Services

2. David Nofoaluma - sponsored by Leumeah Shopping Centre

3. Brent Naden - sponsored by Murray Kennedy Real Estate

4. Tommy Talau - sponsored by APN Compounding

5. Charlie Staines - sponsored by The Meat Man

6. Adam Doueihi - sponsored by Club Menangle

7. Luke Brooks - sponsored by Momenta Advisors

8. Stefano Utoikamanu - sponsored by LP Construction

9. Api Koroisau (c) - sponsored by Exclusive Estate Agents

10. David Klemmer - sponsored by Brae Group

11. Isaiah Papali'i - sponsored by Spectrum Pools & Spas

12. Shawn Blore - sponsored by Kwikflo

13. Joe Ofahengaue - sponsored by Ultra Building Works

Interchange:

14. Jake Simpkin - sponsored by AJ Engineering Group

15. Asu Kepaoa - sponsored by Mater Dei on behalf of The Kirk Family

16. Alex Seyfarth - sponsored by LC Wealth

17. Alex Twal - sponsored by Xpertise Construction

18. Starford To'a - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

19. Junior Tupou - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

20. Tuki Simpkins - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

21. Justin Matamua - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

22. Brandon Tumeth - sponsored by Wests Tigers Foundation

Not to many changes, as expected.

Api starting makes more sense.

Still no Bateman? I think they are not telling us everything about this?

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I just hope Stefano lifts his game. Certainly didn't play up to expectations last week.

I will believe Api is starting when I see it. I will love it if he does.

Tigerm

First Grade
Not enough changes, no Bateman.

halves chaos continues

Last chance saloon for the attack.

Failure to execute is not an option.
Unfortunately, I think Brooks is unsackable, but so is the coach, which is a huge problem?

The Bateman issue is a concern?

I think most of the players deserve another chance, but they make it hard to like this mob, don't they :(

Unfortunately, I think Brooks is unsackable, but so is the coach, which is a huge problem?

The Bateman issue is a concern?

I think most of the players deserve another chance, but they make it hard to like this mob, don't they :(

I’d be swinging the axe and making a statement.

The knights aren’t too crash hot so now is the time to express ourselves a bit differently in personnel.

I will put my side up later, but I will have a few enforced layoffs, just for this round.

Laurie, Nofo, Tommy, Brooksy, Stef.

Doogie left me feeling a bit cold and clammy.

Tim is hoping the second chance will motivate the players, but a lot of the errors were basic execution and handling. I guess the benefit of giving them all second go is to find out how f**ked up we really are.

All this business about ball in hand during the pre season, trying to create the “entertainers” …ffs.

Knights are soft targets too. I’ll only be happy if we flog them senseless. They are in all sorts this year.

Last edited:
And @Vic Mackey might not be happy, but Tim agreed with vics thesis, that is, “key moment theory”

I understand it, but Laurie wasn’t the only low achiever out there.

I watched that Souths forward get hit by an airborne locomotive and still, the ball looked more secure than Brooks's contract.

If we could only muster half of that skill, respect and courage. That’s what we need if we want to get deep into the finals.

Wizardman

First Grade
Under the circumstances of the season, it would be pretty drastic to drop a player on form at this early stage. Bar Nofo, I think every other player had a dig on Sunday.
I predicted no changes for this week. I thought if there were going to change the side, it would be due to a confidence issue from Laurie or the issues posed by the Talau/Nofo combination.
The three blokes I mentioned above clearly need to be a lot better this week or they could lose their spots. I think Stefano will get a bit of an extended run due to his lack of playing time. Im pretty sure he'll come good.

Overall, I think most long-term Tiger fans will be feeling that ever-familiar feeling of dread over this game. Lets be honest with ourselves.....this is the sort of game we have lost for the past 12 years or so. The Tigers playing a team we "should" beat at Leichardt has given us very little joy. Leichardt may well be the most overrated "home ground" advantage in rugby league. We win sweet f**k all there. Our record at Campbelltown over the years has definitely been better.

Im not feeling good about this one. I seriously hope Im well off the mark here.

Under the circumstances of the season, it would be pretty drastic to drop a player on form at this early stage. Bar Nofo, I think every other player had a dig on Sunday.
I predicted no changes for this week. I thought if there were going to change the side, it would be due to a confidence issue from Laurie or the issues posed by the Talau/Nofo combination.
The three blokes I mentioned above clearly need to be a lot better this week or they could lose their spots. I think Stefano will get a bit of an extended run due to his lack of playing time. Im pretty sure he'll come good.

Overall, I think most long-term Tiger fans will be feeling that ever-familiar feeling of dread over this game. Lets be honest with ourselves.....this is the sort of game we have lost for the past 12 years or so. The Tigers playing a team we "should" beat at Leichardt has given us very little joy. Leichardt may well be the most overrated "home ground" advantage in rugby league. We win sweet f**k all there. Our record at Campbelltown over the years has definitely been better.

Im not feeling good about this one. I seriously hope Im well off the mark here.

Some fair insights.

Tim said 3 to 4 games of familiarisation was to be expected. He said the first few games would use less complex play calls.

I suppose he didn’t expect the fundamental errors, which we can fix.

Id still be taking a harsher line.

I feel for Adam OBrien, my bet is that he can’t recruit who he wants to.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This may sound fairly drastic but even in round 2 I believe this is a must win game. We get the dogs in round 3 then have a horror run of:

Storm
Broncos
Eels
Sea Eagles
Panthers
Dragons
Souths
Cowboys

Thats likely 7 top 8 sides in 8 weeks. We’ll be lucky to win 2 of those.

We need to win the next 2 weeks otherwise we could be 3/10 and basically season over before it’s the end of May.

This may sound fairly drastic but even in round 2 I believe this is a must win game. We get the dogs in round 3 then have a horror run of:

Storm
Broncos
Eels
Sea Eagles
Panthers
Dragons
Souths
Cowboys

Thats likely 7 top 8 sides in 8 weeks. We’ll be lucky to win 2 of those.

We need to win the next 2 weeks otherwise we could be 3/10 and basically season over before it’s the end of May.

Exactly, which is why we need to at least rush Bateman into the side.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Some fair insights.

Tim said 3 to 4 games of familiarisation was to be expected. He said the first few games would use less complex play calls.

I suppose he didn’t expect the fundamental errors, which we can fix.

Id still be taking a harsher line.

I feel for Adam OBrien, my bet is that he can’t recruit who he wants to.
U won’t b synpathetic towards Obrien when his team do a no. on the rabble this Sunday arvo.The knights backline are way superior to our amateurs & wont surprise if it’s knights in a cakewalk

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Leichardt may well be the most overrated "home ground" advantage in rugby league. We win sweet f**k all there. Our record at Campbelltown over the years has definitely been better.

Just thought I'd check the stats out of interest, as I can barely remember us winning a game at Campbelltown in the last decade -

Campbelltown -
Overall:
37 wins, 50 losses, 1 draw - 42% winning record
Last five years:
4 wins, 13 losses - 23% winning record
Last ten years:
15 wins, 22 loses - 40% winning record

Leichhardt:
Overall:
50 wins, 39 losses, 1 draw - 56% winning record
Last five years:
8 wins, 11 losses - 42% winning record
Last ten years:
18 wins, 22 losses - 45% winning record

We've always had a better record at Leichhardt but that advantage has been diminishing dramatically the last decade.

U won’t b synpathetic towards Obrien when his team do a no. on the rabble this Sunday arvo.The knights backline are way superior to our amateurs & wont surprise if it’s knights in a cakewalk

The backline is superior but I think their forwards remain a tad suspect.

I’m expecting a vanilla victory despite my selection misgivings.

It’s all on Api.

I don’t want to show all my selection cards at once, but I’ll drip feed so folk can bite ( if anyone is interested)

Selection 1: TUKI

Given their less than stellar pack, I’d give young Tuki a run and try more second phase.

Tuki can offload and collide and spin.

The idea is try to keep the knights pack mobile longer, have them using up more energy, hence more fatigue later on.

Another benefit may be more scoring opportunities, if we can get the ball away, but I see this as a residual benefit until out backs are more composed.

If their forwards are more tired, ours should be able to counter better ( more meters) and obviate or reduce the need for the greater risk of relying on our troubled halves and impugned backline.

In the event that Tuki or catchers get the stage fright, he can simply hit up for a period. Big powerful unit at speed.

Last edited:
Selection 2: BATEMAN

For the reasons discussed at length.

In addition, I’m thinking it’s in his best interests to be re-introduced back into the cut and thrust of the NRL in measured fashion.

Saving him up for a harder and more brutal encounter with a top 4 forward pack may result in undue and unnecessary shock and awe.

Ease him back in more gently, give his mind and body the time and opportunity to remember the inhumane and inhospitable conditions of the top echelon of the sport.

Players have never been as athletic or complex to manage. It a respectful gesture to let him dip his toe into a game before throwing him over the cliff into the ocean.

He didn’t get the respect at the raiders, Tim is in overdrive promoting him “ if it was a grand final he would start”

Every game should be treated like a grand final Tim. Please in-still that belief in our players.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Selection 2: BATEMAN

For the reasons discussed at length.

In addition, I’m thinking it’s in his best interests to be re-introduced back into the cut and thrust of the NRL in measured fashion.

Saving him up for a harder and more brutal encounter with a top 4 forward pack may result in undue and unnecessary shock and awe.

Ease him back in more gently, give his mind and body the time and opportunity to remember the inhumane and inhospitable conditions of the top echelon of the sport.
If he's fit, he should play, sink or swim.

If he isn't fit, why is he? Appreciate we have him for 4 years, but f**k, he is needed now.

If he's fit, he should play, sink or swim.

If he isn't fit, why is he? Appreciate we have him for 4 years, but f**k, he is needed now.

Yes, Vics reminder of the drive ahead is simply frightening.

2 points is 2 points.

If the object is wins and points, we need to send our best sides out to meet the sides we can actually compete with.

Last edited:

Latest posts