What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs Newcastle @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield

Who will win? Round 2: Wests Tigers v Newcastle

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wizardman

First Grade
Just thought I'd check the stats out of interest, as I can barely remember us winning a game at Campbelltown in the last decade -

Campbelltown -
Overall:
37 wins, 50 losses, 1 draw - 42% winning record
Last five years:
4 wins, 13 losses - 23% winning record
Last ten years:
15 wins, 22 loses - 40% winning record

Leichhardt:
Overall:
50 wins, 39 losses, 1 draw - 56% winning record
Last five years:
8 wins, 11 losses - 42% winning record
Last ten years:
18 wins, 22 losses - 45% winning record

We've always had a better record at Leichhardt but that advantage has been diminishing dramatically the last decade.
Im genuinely surprised by that. Everytime we play at Leichhardt, i pump up and get deflated frequently. Numbers don't lie in this case.

Wizardman

First Grade
I don’t want to show all my selection cards at once, but I’ll drip feed so folk can bite ( if anyone is interested)

Selection 1: TUKI

Given their less than stellar pack, I’d give young Tuki a run and try more second phase.

Tuki can offload and collide and spin.

The idea is try to keep the knights pack mobile longer, have them using up more energy, hence more fatigue later on.

Another benefit may be more scoring opportunities, if we can get the ball away, but I see this as a residual benefit until out backs are more composed.

If their forwards are more tired, ours should be able to counter better ( more meters) and obviate or reduce the need for the greater risk of relying on our troubled halves and impugned backline.

In the event that Tuki or catchers get the stage fright, he can simply hit up for a period. Big powerful unit at speed.
His last stint in firsts was not great. I think he need a good block of form in NSW Cup first. Pick him when injury strikes or if he has earnt a go. Our pack was very decent last Sunday. I'd keep Stefano in if he shows a constant rate of improvement. Im confident he'll come good. No denying Tuki's promise though.

Wizardman

First Grade
If he's fit, he should play, sink or swim.

If he isn't fit, why is he? Appreciate we have him for 4 years, but f**k, he is needed now.
At the first conference Bateman had in Australia, I could not believe how light he looked. Im pretty sure I read somewhere that he is indeed...fit....but only 93kg. I think he is going through a mini pre-season here to basically bulk up for the rigours of this competition.
He is a blue chip investment....lets not rush him. Our pack was very decent last Sunday. Rushing him in may lead to a bad injury if he is not 100% confident in his body. I trust our coaching staff on this one.

His last stint in firsts was not great. I think he need a good block of form in NSW Cup first. Pick him when injury strikes or if he has earnt a go. Our pack was very decent last Sunday. I'd keep Stefano in if he shows a constant rate of improvement. Im confident he'll come good. No denying Tuki's promise though.

Fair enough, I’d just expect him to sap up knights energy, not to actually do anything.

There’s some good faith fun on the knights forum from @Apey and co about the match.

It’s like reading our thread but with the club names changed.

I salute the bastards, like being in a parallel universe!

Wizardman

First Grade
Fair enough, I’d just expect him to sap up knights energy, not to actually do anything.

There’s some good faith fun on the knights forum from @Apey and co about the match.

It’s like reading our thread but with the club names changed.

I salute the bastards, like being in a parallel universe!
They are one of the few other teams I like in this competition. I like them and wish them success this year. Sad thing for them is they are still going down the slippery dip along with the Dragons. I honestly think we are taking the first steps towards getting out of the hole over the past six months.

They are one of the few other teams I like in this competition. I like them and wish them success this year. Sad thing for them is they are still going down the slippery dip along with the Dragons. I honestly think we are taking the first steps towards getting out of the hole over the past six months.

We beat ourselves last outing, very frustrating.

The knights are struggling to recruit the best talent. Adam Elliot is injured etc.

For the dragons, Amone and Molo have screwed up an already fragile side. Hook can only do so much. Some of their fans are very concerned about players attitudes.

I hope their side can surprise them.

Amone was just about the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard of for an NRL player.

Last edited:
All good mate. I have no worries at all when people point out an inaccuracy of mine. It was a perception of mine that everytime I see them play there, I end up disappointed.

I couldn’t care less either tbh because it’s not going to effect the outcome.

Lots of things are said and done on perception, it can be more important than reality.

I reckon we should be playing well and winning on both grounds, maybe even some away grounds.

Anyway, the footy Is back and we still have a slim chance.

Tigerm

First Grade
I couldn’t care less either tbh because it’s not going to effect the outcome.

Lots of things are said and done on perception, it can be more important than reality.

I reckon we should be playing well and winning on both grounds, maybe even some away grounds.

Anyway, the footy Is back and we still have a slim chance.
"we still have a slim chance"

Is that for winning this week or winning the comp?

MasterTiger

Juniors
I know it’s early days but we really have to win this game. It means more than just the 2 points. That’s the gut feel as a fan and it is a winnable game. We were bereft of attacking options last week and fell asleep in defence at critical moments….something that reminded me of last year. Those shackles need to be broken .

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don’t want to show all my selection cards at once, but I’ll drip feed so folk can bite ( if anyone is interested)

Selection 1: TUKI

Given their less than stellar pack, I’d give young Tuki a run and try more second phase.

Tuki can offload and collide and spin.

The idea is try to keep the knights pack mobile longer, have them using up more energy, hence more fatigue later on.

Another benefit may be more scoring opportunities, if we can get the ball away, but I see this as a residual benefit until out backs are more composed.

If their forwards are more tired, ours should be able to counter better ( more meters) and obviate or reduce the need for the greater risk of relying on our troubled halves and impugned backline.

In the event that Tuki or catchers get the stage fright, he can simply hit up for a period. Big powerful unit at speed.

I think there’s a chance you get your wish this week mate. Apparently Blore is out which means either Tuki, Matamua or Tumeth will come into the squad