What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs Newcastle @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield

Who will win? Round 2: Wests Tigers v Newcastle

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 2
Wests Tigers v Newcastle Knights
Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield, Lilyfield (TICKETS)
Sunday 12 March 2023

Gates 11:40am / Jersey Flegg (WST v NEW) 11:50am / NSW Cup (WES v NEW) 1:35pm / NRL starts 4:05pm, broadcast on Nine Network and Fox League/Kayo

WST2022TEAM.png

To be announced

NEW2022TEAM.png

To be announced

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Liam Kennedy, Jon Stone
Video Referee: Matt Noyen

WESTS TIGERS: Wests Tigers/Wests Magpies^ v Newcastle at Leichhardt, Sun - Flegg 11:50am / NSW Cup 1:35pm

NEWCASTLE: v Wests Tigers/Wests Magpies at Leichhardt, Sun - Flegg 11:50am / NSW Cup 1:35pm

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
Hopefully we won't have our season ended for the 2nd year in a row by the Knights in round 2. Not confident though.

Tigerm

First Grade
May not be the greatest game this year, but both Klem and Jacko will want to show the opposing clubs what they are missing?
So it should be a cracker, with us getting the win by 8 and API showing us why he is the best signing we have made in ages.

Das Hassler

Bench
Douehi needs to respect possession a bit more....if he can't resist the urge to kick early then he should get up at 5 am and practice his goalkicking for an extra hour before everyone else gets there.

* rather funny typo corrected

Last edited:
Douehi needs to respect possession more....if he can't resist the urge to kick early then he should get up at 5 am and practice his goalkeeping for an extra hour before everyone else gets there.

Sheensy making the calls I think.

But the players simply aren’t executing.

All that possession but no finishing. Dropped ball at critical times. Basic skills.

Doesn’t matter what side we pick, the 7 is the biggest problem we have. It’s like Groundhog Day from 2012, favourites to win the comp but didn’t have a halfback. We still don’t.

He’s a very ordinary vanilla half for the money. I can’t remember his last decent running game.

And whatever the result, Hastings is going to show him up easily on the weekend and be cheered off and adored by us, because he always gave a damn.

And was not getting paid $1.1m for phoning it in.

Last edited:
Putting our trust in Brooks is just insane, he is simply incapable of controlling a game, everything is off the cuff with his play, he virtually has zero game management skills.

Lees son of Frankenstein has negative game management skills.

hes in negative territory. $1.1m pissed up against the old concrete troughs at LO

He couldn’t even bring Moses over.

Doesn’t matter what side we pick, the 7 is the biggest problem we have. It’s like Groundhog Day from 2012, favourites to win the comp but didn’t have a halfback. We still don’t.
2012 was royally derailed by Tedesco getting injured in round 1. Sure Moltzen isn’t the best halfback but in a spine with Tedesco, Benji and Robbie he’s probably good enough.

Banking the mortgage on Brooks definitely hurt us, and the only time he showed any signs of living up to his potential was the last time he was off contract, so we banked it on him again. The other time he was off contract all our actually talented players left the club so we panicked and kept him on board.

According to Tim, Api was brought in to replace Brooks and Doogie as squad leader “relieving pressure” as he called it, but Api isn’t right and only had limited game time.

In the circumstances, i think Bateman should be rushed in asap to plug a few gaps and try to get the side to focus.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
2012 was royally derailed by Tedesco getting injured in round 1. Sure Moltzen isn’t the best halfback but in a spine with Tedesco, Benji and Robbie he’s probably good enough.

Banking the mortgage on Brooks definitely hurt us, and the only time he showed any signs of living up to his potential was the last time he was off contract, so we banked it on him again. The other time he was off contract all our actually talented players left the club so we panicked and kept him on board.
Funnily enough, Moltzen was good enough even without Tedesco. In 2009, the club went undefeated with Moltzen at halfback as part of a spine with Benji, Farah and Shannon Gallant. Most people remember that year for Hayne's run of form, but we only missed out on taking their spot in the Top 8 due to points difference. And that was after Sheens had already let 16 rounds go by and waited for us to be languishing one rung off the bottom of the ladder before pulling his head he finally letting Moltzen and Gallant play in their natural positions.

Funnily enough, Moltzen was good enough even without Tedesco. In 2009, the club went undefeated with Moltzen at halfback as part of a spine with Benji, Farah and Shannon Gallant. Most people remember that year for Hayne's run of form, but we only missed out on taking their spot in the Top 8 due to points difference. And that was after Sheens had already let 16 rounds go by and waited for us to be languishing one rung off the bottom of the ladder before pulling his head he finally letting Moltzen and Gallant play in their natural positions.

He can be very stubborn.

He will impart this quality to Benji.

Fordy20

Juniors
He can be very stubborn.

He will impart this quality to Benji.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when Sheens brought the wife basher in for the Cronulla game after Gallant had his leg broken in win over the Roosters. That's when I kissed goodbye to 2009.

That's what I never understood. Why bother trying to manufacture a fullback out of a junior Kangaroos halfback just to fill in for a few years while Tedesco was coming through, especially when we had a perfectly servicable goalkicking fullback on the books?

I'm not so sure that's the kind of stubbornness our future coach needs.

WA Tiger

Bench
The Sheens brigade need to make it very clear from day one that they are prepared to make the hard player decisions that need to be made, Otherwise it’s going to be another long year..I’d have thought a fair bit of confidence was lost from the players and coaching staff after round 1. Sheens needs to get in the coaching chair and start taking things seriously…

WA Tiger

Bench
I’m not convinced Sheens knows what he’s doing…and I can’t get the look on Benjis face out of my mind like the jobs going to eat him up and spit him out..Early days right

Das Hassler

Bench
Sheens knows what he's doing but i really hope they back off on the dual coaches thing...for this year at least Sheens needs to just say jump and Benj needs to say how do you take your coffee? It may just be the optics though. With all the roster and playing style changes from Madge to Sheens it's easy to overanalyze week 1...moreso it's hard not too overanalyze it.

Latest posts