What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can use the same argument against the dolphins

western coridoor can support a team in time and not cannibalise other teams
'In time' being the important bit. Say 10-15 years depending how Titans and Dolphins are going. We havent seen the impact, if any, of Dolphins on the other SEQ clubs yet. Just 26k at Broncos on Saturday night, have their fans abandoned them already?

xe_kilroy

Juniors
For the record tho.... it'd be a disgrace to have say 2 NZ and/or 2 VIC teams whilst having only 4 QLD teams or 2 Brisbane teams....whilst....having 54 Sydney/NSW teams.

QLD a heartland, and the whole SoO thing. QLD has to be maxed out in the NRL with 3-4 Brisbane teams, 1 GC, 1 SC, 1 CQ, 2 NQ

NSW:QLD should be 1:1, so rationalization among NSW clubs has to happen, also when including Perth, Adelaide, PNG, NZ-2 and VIC-2

If you think of it as conferences....6 QLD, 6 NSW, 6 Other (act, wa, sa, vic, png, nz)....for an ideal 18 team comp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahhahaa

super league vision was to get the pay tv rights cheap bro

then killed off Perth

other than the pay tv rights there was no vision
of course it was, but there was still an interesting vision for what the game would look like. Youa re confusing goal woth vision.
Global rugby league competitions with strong presence in the PI (sound familiar?), less Sydney clubs, more big city clubs, more focus on internationals club and country etc.

Wb1234

Referee
of course it was, but there was still an interesting vision for what the game would look like. Youa re confusing goal woth vision.
Global rugby league competitions with strong presence in the PI (sound familiar?), less Sydney clubs, more big city clubs, more focus on internationals club and country etc.
Ribot wanted rugby league in China

Colk

First Grade
I think there are a couple of factors here:

1. I would seriously look at population trends. Where is the population going and plan your business around it

2. People are in agreement with the idea that you can have an extra Brisbane side but we really should be at the point now that adding more teams in Queensland and New South Wales is a secondary concern.

3. Further to the point above, there is a limit to the amount of teams you can have. Therefore, with that in mind, why would you not look at new markets rather than existing ones?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I question how many people want a bears team, especially a quarter arsed effort. I remember when I first started on this site there were a handful of well intentioned bears fans that were convinced the bears were coming back based on 'membership' drives. How many of those are left?

It seems to me that the push for the bears is driven by ex bears players. The bears time is over unfortunately.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nick Politis interview. Talk of expansion and Politis's views start at 6min 50secs. Juts runs for a minute or so on expansion.

In summary:
To grow need more revenue
To get more revenue need more content
Need to be a national sport and in every state
Have a 5-10 year plan

Iamback

Coach
1. Has GWS worked? I don’t know why you would want to copy that model at all.

2. Panthers are a Penrith side and have always been a Penrith side. It’s not the same as a Bathurst side who was kicked out but plonked in Penrith but aiming to take home games back to their previous location and away from Penrith. There is no chance that Penrith will move lock stock and barrel to Bathurst or have any intention to do so. The Bears are not the same and I would be very very wary of them.

3. The other examples are training grounds. Fine train there but they are not playing there.

I merely use it as an example as a club doing that.

The reason it needs to be Brisbane or Sydney is, More corporate support and easier flights to the islands. Which allows for quicker travel for community events etc over there.

Super Rugby has their Pasifika side playing out of Mt Smart. Again you need the support to make the side viable

Colk

First Grade
Nick Politis interview. Talk of expansion and Politis's views start at 6min 50secs. Juts runs for a minute or so on expansion.

In summary:
Have a 5-10 year plan

Look if they pick a second NZ and Perth side in the next three sides then I’d be happy

Iamback

Coach
The Bears shouldn’t be considered at all based on their non-negotiables.

If PNG have to come in (I don’t think they should) they can be a pseudo fifth QLD side based in Brisbane and play half their games at Suncorp. Hey presto there are five sides for QLD.

Lets say that happens. The QLD Cup team will have their own set of conditions.

If I am going to be dropping $2-5m on running the junior development program. Then of course you want something for doing that

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

In summary:
Have a 5-10 year plan

You do not become a billionaire twice over without having your head screwed on the right way.

Iamback

Coach
I question how many people want a bears team, especially a quarter arsed effort. I remember when I first started on this site there were a handful of well intentioned bears fans that were convinced the bears were coming back based on 'membership' drives. How many of those are left?

The name would get people's attention more then insert team. GC are proof of this with their many name changes

Perth Red

Post Whore

NRL target Craig Bellamy to lead competition’s 18th team​

The NRL have been left that impressed by Wayne Bennett's Dolphins outfit in their maiden season that they're now eyeing another super coach for the competition's 18th franchise.

Details emerged last week of the NRL's plan to expand into a 20-team competition, riding the back of the Dolphins' early season successes, and opening the door for a number of potential new locations to make a bid.

The usual pop-up spots are mentioned every time, Perth, Toowoomba, Adelaide, the Pacific Islands, Wellington, the Central Coast, and of course, North Sydney.

But while the NRL aren't yet sure where they'll be setting up shop, they know which man they want leading the troops.
Despite currently eyeing retirement at seasons end, The Daily Telegraph are reporting that NRL powerbrokers are hoping to lure Craig Bellamy away from hanging the clipboard up in Melbourne, and towards becoming the maiden head coach of a new club.

Heading into his 21st season in Melbourne, Bellamy is the face of the Storm, but he didn't play a role in setting up the club. The 63-year-old didn't join Melbourne until their sixth season in the NRL, succeeding Chris Anderson and Mark Murray in the coaching box.

There's still no guarantee Bellamy will even depart at seasons end. While the veteran is leaning more and more towards retirement, he's yet to officially lock it in, which could leave Melbourne scrambling for a replacement if he does walk.

The head coach opened up on his future earlier in the year on NRL360.

“It's time for the club probably to have a new coach,” he said on the program.
“I'm pretty sure this is going to be my last year.
“I want to give them plenty of time to find a new coach … I can't see anything changing for me not to retire at the end of the year.
“I'll still be around the club a little bit in a part-time role.”

The NRL will seek approval from Melbourne's chairman Matt Tripp before approaching Bellamy, and ensure he isn't coaching on at the Storm in 2024 before confirming their interest.

Latest posts