What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Harry O

Juniors
There are about 1500 restricted view tickets.

I just think that whoever is in control of the ticketing at the Dolphins just doesn't understand that restricted view are released separately 9/10 for suncorp games. Sometimes tenants will release them with the standard tickets but it's rare.
Anything over 50k will be awesome. Wish we can get 50k plus attendances in Sydney. I know we can but people are either lazy or can't afford it. That's why Rugby League is the number one sport on TV, people prefer watching comfort from their homes!!!

Gobsmacked

Bench
Anything over 50k will be awesome. Wish we can get 50k plus attendances in Sydney. I know we can but people are either lazy or can't afford it. That's why Rugby League is the number one sport on TV, people prefer watching comfort from their homes!!!
I was at the Broncos game the other day and it's not a " comfort of your home " thing. Unless you are in a good seat, you can barely see 60 percent of the game. Most stadiums don't have more than 10 to 15k seats that you don't find yourself watching the big screen 🤷‍♂️ rugby league is a TV sport.

The AFL is the opposite, on TV you miss 60 percent of the action which takes place off the ball.

I feel like I've said this a lot and it strikes me that people make comparisons. There couldn't be 2 more difference experiences.

I don't think it's that simple.

There are many valid reasons why Sydneysiders are more fickle than other cities when it comes to live sport:
1. Perception of travel to/from a stadium. It is not particularly convenient or quick to get from the Sydney city centre to Sydney Olympic Park for a major sporting event. Sure, there are direct trains from Central to Olympic Park for a blockbuster (e.g. SOO or Grand Final), but for regular H&A season, you have to change at Lidcombe. Compare that to the experience of walking to the MCG or Adelaide Oval from their respective city centres.

Access to SOP should improve in the late 2020s with a direct light rail service from Parramatta to SOP, but most significantly in 2030 when Sydney Metro West opens and provides direct access from Parramatta to SOP in just 5 minutes, and the Sydney city centre in just 15. That's quicker than from many parts of the Sydney city centre to Moore Park now.

2. Pre-game and post-game day experience. Is there anyone on this forum who actually enjoys the pre and post-game day experience at SOP? I don't. The place has literally nothing going for it on the micro scale - no density of good cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants, no density of pop-up food trucks, entertainment or activations - when compared with the likes of Caxton Street and Suncorp Stadium, or my 2 earlier examples.

3. The stadium itself. A key factor, and its limitations would have been debated broadly in various threads on this forum.

4. Cost of living. Live entertainment first to get the chop in a lot of households, and we all know Sydney is more expensive than other Australian cities.

Diesel

Referee
Parra v Penrith is selling slowly - I know that typically Sydney crowds come late, but I think (and ignoring the fact that this sport is about TV ratings for a moment) having this on a Thursday is pretty shit. Rabbitohs v Manly would have been a better option for Thursday night, IMO.
This game deserves another time slot. Sure TV pay the money but f**k me, whoever is playing Thursday night id going to rate well.

Harry O

Juniors
Parra v Penrith is selling slowly - I know that typically Sydney crowds come late, but I think (and ignoring the fact that this sport is about TV ratings for a moment) having this on a Thursday is pretty shit. Rabbitohs v Manly would have been a better option for Thursday night, IMO.
They'll still get 15k i reckon

Considering it's the Grand Final rematch, the Eels and the Panthers should have been scheduled in a crowd-friendly AND TV-friendly timeslot.

Even if you exclude the qualifying and Grand Finals, the Eels and the Panthers also sold out their two regular season games (Fri 8pm at Bluebet and CommBank), for an average crowd of 24,230.

It'd be disappointing to see the Thursday timeslot + weather form an alliance to knock the Grand Final rematch crowd below 20k. Both teams deserve better.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Considering it's the Grand Final rematch, the Eels and the Panthers should have been scheduled in a crowd-friendly AND TV-friendly timeslot.

Even if you exclude the qualifying and Grand Finals, the Eels and the Panthers also sold out their two regular season games (Fri 8pm at Bluebet and CommBank), for an average crowd of 24,230.

It'd be disappointing to see the Thursday timeslot + weather form an alliance to knock the Grand Final rematch crowd below 20k. Both teams deserve better.
Why the hell did the NRL slot this on a thursday night...Sunday afternoon perfect.

I hope Souths fans turn up to pay tribute to Satts. We are coincidentally playing Manly too, the team which he battled and beat on many an occasion in the red and green. The game deserves at least 20k now, as a tribute to one of rugby league's toughest and greatest players
Hope a lot of Souths fans turn up wearing those Satts replica retro jumpers with the half rabbit logo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We’ve been royally screwed with the draw this year, not only a tough start but our first 3 home games are two on a Thursday night and one at 6pm Friday. Actually a lot of our games are Thursday night with just one Sunday game.

Frank Burge

Juniors
We’ve been royally screwed with the draw this year, not only a tough start but our first 3 home games are two on a Thursday night and one at 6pm Friday. Actually a lot of our games are Thursday night with just one Sunday game.
I have been a commercial partner with a small box since 2014, the draw this year and a price rise for same seats of 10% was to much, I decided I would just select a few games and take clients. I was speaking to the commercial sale’s yesterday to order tickets and he said they are way down on last year and no compensation from NRL , 6 of 11 home games on Thursday and Friday night is shit.

Frank Burge

Juniors
I have been a commercial partner with a small box since 2014, the draw this year and a price rise for same seats of 10% was to much, I decided I would just select a few games and take clients. I was speaking to the commercial sale’s yesterday to order tickets and he said they are way down on last year and no compensation from NRL ,

Dark Corner

Juniors
Loving the crowds and vibes for this year but who ever or what ever doing the schedules for a team like Parra in a new stadium which needs to be filled not half emptiedd nedds a good twatting.

bazza

Referee

maybe the thinking was that such a match up would sell out whether it was on thursday night or not
Probably didn't predict that the Eels would still be looking for their first win though

Latest posts