What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
this is dumb. If you were born in Melbourne and grew up there you would probably be an AFL fan and be saying the same dumb shit about League fans - same with everyone in the Fight club. Yes it's a bit of fun poking fun at other codes, especially AFL which loves to blow its trumpet about how great and progressive it is but hating normal fans of other sports is really stupid.
I can handle different politics different sexual preferences but afl is where I draw the line

god forbid I ever had i child and they liked afl I would disown it.

I don’t know any Lebanese that like afl so that’s why it’s all league or soccer

Vee

First Grade
Correct, i reckon Perth could easily sustain 2 NRL sides, the important factor is establishing one first, to me its a no brainer to involve West Coast Bears, and when thats up and running, and when it becomes normal with league participation growing as it did in the late 90s, then recreate or fabricate the return of the Western Reds/Pirates some seasons later, it would get as big as the brisbane derby is now, within a decade..
Then you'll see support for both teams one being a relocation and the other as a home grown WA born entity.
The problem everybody is hung up on the amount of licences, again they are not finite, they don't cost anything, or who owns it, how it should work, , none of that matters, we should all be supporting league over there, it will only boom with the population that they have, the quickest way to start is to let the bears start it off so that the naysayers can quell, and the NRL can cement a following, then push forward to increase the footprint, otherwise we'll be here in another decade saying why is there still no perth..
I've been saying for ages, the quality of junior participation isn't upto the standard against clubs that are regularly in comps from the east coast, a relocated team would advance that, and then will come the fruits, it happened with the reds, they had plenty of imports, and WA juniors started to come thru, then it all fell apart and they got snapped up by the Storm after SL war
Paragraphs are your friend.

Colk

First Grade
Correct, i reckon Perth could easily sustain 2 NRL sides, the important factor is establishing one first, to me its a no brainer to involve West Coast Bears, and when thats up and running, and when it becomes normal with league participation growing as it did in the late 90s, then recreate or fabricate the return of the Western Reds/Pirates some seasons later, it would get as big as the brisbane derby is now, within a decade..
Then you'll see support for both teams one being a relocation and the other as a home grown WA born entity.
The problem everybody is hung up on the amount of licences, again they are not finite, they don't cost anything, or who owns it, how it should work, , none of that matters, we should all be supporting league over there, it will only boom with the population that they have, the quickest way to start is to let the bears start it off so that the naysayers can quell, and the NRL can cement a following, then push forward to increase the footprint, otherwise we'll be here in another decade saying why is there still no perth..
I've been saying for ages, the quality of junior participation isn't upto the standard against clubs that are regularly in comps from the east coast, a relocated team would advance that, and then will come the fruits, it happened with the reds, they had plenty of imports, and WA juniors started to come thru, then it all fell apart and they got snapped up by the Storm after SL war

I think two sides is a bit of a stretch. You’re sounding more optimistic than me mate and that takes some doing.

MugaB

Coach
I think two sides is a bit of a stretch. You’re sounding more optimistic than me mate and that takes some doing.
Colk: THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE TWO OF US!!!
SmugaB: yes it is! Estimated population 3million by 2030 , 1.5 per team thats insane we don't have one yet

Colk

First Grade
So is Cairns.... the home base of the 18th team,
Enjoy your new local team Vee, be happy, PR has been waiting over 25 years for one, you get one and never even asked for it

What do you think about basing them in Brissie instead as was reported last week? I guess it all depends on how many games they play in PNG I guess

MugaB

Coach
What do you think about basing them in Brissie instead as was reported last week? I guess it all depends on how many games they play in PNG I guess
Nope, thats like a WA bears team based in NS...

Cairns is the closest city/town to PNG, it would be used as more a resort facility, somewhere that any player with a working aussie visa, can stay for the season, easily be able to monitor, incase that said player skipped town, and overstayed that visa..
You set them up in brissie, there's more a chance the team turns into another QRL based team instead of what its set out to be mainly a PNG sourced team.
The whole notion of this is to keep the team functional as if it were any other NRL club, you cannot guarantee that in a 3rd world country, and if aust govt is paying for the 1st grade side, it cant be left to it own devices in a foreign country..

If it were me, it would just be a PNG team... 8 games minimum in port moresby FIFO, and Cairns get 4 for the locals

Vee

First Grade
So is Cairns.... the home base of the 18th team,
Enjoy your new local team Vee, be happy, PR has been waiting over 25 years for one, you get one and never even asked for it
Not yet, and I'll believe it when they run out. If they do, it'll still be a shit call.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I can handle different politics different sexual preferences but afl is where I draw the line

god forbid I ever had i child and they liked afl I would disown it.

I don’t know any Lebanese that like afl so that’s why it’s all league or soccer
Hahaha in 2020 covid shut down the Central Coast senior rugby league competition so my two boys played AFL, I didn’t know the rules, I had no idea what was happening just every time they tackled somebody the crowd would yell out, I thought we would get penalised as the played they tackled was laying in a heap on the ground, yet we had possession and a free kick.
I ended up liking our time in AFL because their players were soft as, you could knock players not in possession off the ball things which took a bit of getting used to was the scrambling for the ball, how the AFL ball would carry further when kicked and how if you had speed you could really utilise is, atleast in league you could pick the ball up and run and you were off in AFL you have to bounce the stupid ball.
Different games, different skills, it’s what you are brought up with, we are a rugby league family but my boys have played league, union, AFL, and even had a run at soccer but as little kids.
I probably feel more towards soccer how you do towards AFL.

Wb1234

Referee
Hahaha in 2020 covid shut down the Central Coast senior rugby league competition so my two boys played AFL, I didn’t know the rules, I had no idea what was happening just every time they tackled somebody the crowd would yell out, I thought we would get penalised as the played they tackled was laying in a heap on the ground, yet we had possession and a free kick.
I ended up liking our time in AFL because their players were soft as, you could knock players not in possession off the ball things which took a bit of getting used to was the scrambling for the ball, how the AFL ball would carry further when kicked and how if you had speed you could really utilise is, atleast in league you could pick the ball up and run and you were off in AFL you have to bounce the stupid ball.
Different games, different skills, it’s what you are brought up with, we are a rugby league family but my boys have played league, union, AFL, and even had a run at soccer but as little kids.
I probably feel more towards soccer how you do towards AFL.
I’m praying for your kids

let’s hope their time in afl hasn’t taught them any bad habits

Latest posts