What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

mongoose

Coach
Adding a Sydney team to Brisbane would be like Adding water to a oil fire.
Maybe the Israeli army could bolster thier stocks and draft some Palestinians?
yeah it would be risky. I really don't know if anyone in Brisbane would get behind a Sydney club. I guess with the Tigers it would be an affiliation with Easts in Brisbane.

Gobsmacked

Bench
yeah it would be risky. I really don't know if anyone in Brisbane would get behind a Sydney club. I guess with the Tigers it would be an affiliation with Easts in Brisbane.
I'm in Brisbane and a Queenslander, a Sydney team in Brisbane would go down like a lead balloon.

Canard

Immortal
I'm in Brisbane and a Queenslander, a Sydney team in Brisbane would go down like a lead balloon.

Especially someone like Balmain.

They were hated by Queenslanders passionately. Elias,Roach and to a lesser extent Sironen were Public Enemy No1.

The hatred of Balmain is far more etched in recent memory, than any Brisbane Easts nostalgia.

flippikat

Bench
Manly? Manly could have the whole of North Sydney but are too incompetent to grow out of their little secluded corner
Partly lack of appetite from Manly to grow, part North Sydney clinging on to their district in the ongoing hope they'll get an NRL team again.

If the NRL stated unequivocally that the Bears will never come back (EVER), the district could well end up as part of Roosters or Manly's area.

flippikat

Bench
When you look at where AFL teams relocated, it wasn't AFL cities like Adelaide or Perth - it was to Sydney & Brisbane.

I imagine WA or SA audiences would have shunned Melbourne's transplants in a similar way to how you're describing a Sydney--> Brisbane NRL team relocation.

Gobsmacked

Bench
When you look at where AFL teams relocated, it wasn't AFL cities like Adelaide or Perth - it was to Sydney & Brisbane.

I imagine WA or SA audiences would have shunned Melbourne's transplants in a similar way to how you're describing a Sydney--> Brisbane NRL team relocation.
Not even close. Queensland NSW rivalry is part of both states couture, goes back 200 years.

Wb1234

Referee
Especially someone like Balmain.

They were hated by Queenslanders passionately. Elias,Roach and to a lesser extent Sironen were Public Enemy No1.

The hatred of Balmain is far more etched in recent memory, than any Brisbane Easts nostalgia.
Yeh bs as usual
Not even close. Queensland NSW rivalry is part of both states couture, goes back 200 years.
theres been a lot of migration from nsw to qld wouldnt shock me a popular club like Balmain would have a lot of supporters up there

only issue is when Benny made Steve and kerrod Walters look like crap hookers

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only way a club gets booted or relocated is if they go bust, and even then nrl would rescue them. No club is going bust with a$18million nrl grant. Pointless discussion.

Instead we will continue to put up with a number of weak Sydney clubs playing in sht stadiums in front of 12k crowds and not earning much revenue whilst the rest of the comp marches on.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Only way a club gets booted or relocated is if they go bust, and even then nrl would rescue them. No club is going bust with a$18million nrl grant. Pointless discussion.

Instead we will continue to put up with a number of weak Sydney clubs playing in sht stadiums in front of 12k crowds and not earning much revenue whilst the rest of the comp marches on.
That's not true.
There's a very big chance that the NRL could offer a cash incentive for a club to move.
20 million PA guaranteed for 20 years. They could use some of the money to buy an away game at their old ground once a year.
Presto - West Coast Sharks.
I actually think that this is the most viable option.

Vee

First Grade

Isaac McCarthy
March 27, 2023 - 7:00AM
The Cairns Post

Cairns mayor spruiks economic benefits of hosting Pacifika team as 18th entry into NRL comp​

Some eyes in Cairns are lighting up with dollar signs at the thought of the Far North hosting the NRL’s 18th team, but one politician is still calling it a flight of fancy.

The possibility of the Cairns’ sporting future as part of an expanded NRL competition is under active consideration by Cairns Regional Council, as the organisation prepares to meet on Wednesday to discuss upgrades to Barlow Park.

The NRL recently signalled its ambitions to grow the competition to 20 teams and long-time proponents for the big game in FNQ, such as Cairns mayor Bob Manning, were tickled by the thought of Cairns at least hosting team 18.

Cr Manning has swung his city behind the possibility but others are still calling it a flight of fancy without key infrastructure.

The mayor confirmed councillors held the first discussion about necessary infrastructure in response to news earlier this month of the NRL’s plans to expand into a 20-team competition over the next decade.

“We talked about that,” Cr Manning said. “A team couldn’t be based here without a stadium. You don’t get an NRL team using Barlow or the Showgrounds. We’re thinking about what we need to do to measure this up … but we need a lot more information and at some point we’re going to require a formal offer.”

The outgoing mayor would no doubt like to play a role in facilitating such an outcome before his retirement in 2024, but he said his vision that involves a Papua New Guinea or Pacific Islands team home-basing in Cairns would first need to be driven by those nations.

“There are a lot of interest involved here – local, state and federal government as well as international,” Cr Manning said. “The spirit of rugby league in Cairns is strong. Council would be happy to be a part of this process but we need to be humble because this is about getting the Pacific Islands and PNG into the NRL. They need to make the decision and council will facilitate to make this less daunting for them.”

Cr Manning said the benefits of any NRL team home-basing in Cairns would bring enormous economic and social development to the region.

“We’re talking about the highest level of league being played here. This could bring youth development, the introduction of PNG into the NBL, the establishment of a women’s league team in PNG … it certainly would involve the case for developing more infrastructure,” he said. “It would take us into other markets. The wealth that would spread between Cairns and Pacific Island nations, the amount of business that will go through this city into the Pacific, would be great for us.”

Cr Manning was confident a team based in Cairns would bring crowds in excess of 10,000 people for key games.

“I have no doubt a Pasifika team would be competitive, therefore they will draw crowds eventually,” he said.

Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch, however, said the idea was unrealistic without a multipurpose stadium to host a team, and blamed the council for leaving the Far North in a disadvantageous position during opportune times. With a business case, he said it was possible the federal government would allocate its share of funding for a multipurpose facility in the near future.

“Of course we could make this happen, but we’ve got to have somewhere for them to play … we could get this done pretty quickly, but we need a decision by the council as to where to put (a stadium),” Mr Entsch said. “We’re the largest regional city in Queensland but we don’t have a stadium. That’s because we haven’t put a case in for it. There’s a lot of money available for the Olympics … the timing couldn’t be better.”

Division 3 councillor Cathy Zeiger confirmed the NRL’s announcement had energised discussion at the council.
“We are having regular discussions on a master plan for a sports precinct,” Cr Zeiger said.

“There’s definitely been a spike in discussion on what we’d build and where we’d get the money from and how it would be operated going forward, but we can’t do anything until we hear a bit more.”

I was loath to post this, It's little more than preliminary pie-in-the-sky and I can see it being seized upon by the dots-on-a-map brigade as a done deal but, in the interests of transparency...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
No Sydney team is being relocated, whatever the incentive.

The NRL is a club based competition, not a franchise based competition. Sydney clubs have roots in the community they represent, the reason they exist is because of those roots. Teams would rather disappear than be relocated, and no team is disappearing because the funding that their existence generates is there.

Both joint venture teams are struggling because those roots were tampered with by some decision maker with no idea about rugby league who is probably long gone from the game.

And no one cares about the opinion of an afl fan living 4000kms away from Sydney

MugaB

Coach

Isaac McCarthy
March 27, 2023 - 7:00AM
The Cairns Post

Cairns mayor spruiks economic benefits of hosting Pacifika team as 18th entry into NRL comp​

Some eyes in Cairns are lighting up with dollar signs at the thought of the Far North hosting the NRL’s 18th team, but one politician is still calling it a flight of fancy.

The possibility of the Cairns’ sporting future as part of an expanded NRL competition is under active consideration by Cairns Regional Council, as the organisation prepares to meet on Wednesday to discuss upgrades to Barlow Park.

The NRL recently signalled its ambitions to grow the competition to 20 teams and long-time proponents for the big game in FNQ, such as Cairns mayor Bob Manning, were tickled by the thought of Cairns at least hosting team 18.

Cr Manning has swung his city behind the possibility but others are still calling it a flight of fancy without key infrastructure.

The mayor confirmed councillors held the first discussion about necessary infrastructure in response to news earlier this month of the NRL’s plans to expand into a 20-team competition over the next decade.

“We talked about that,” Cr Manning said. “A team couldn’t be based here without a stadium. You don’t get an NRL team using Barlow or the Showgrounds. We’re thinking about what we need to do to measure this up … but we need a lot more information and at some point we’re going to require a formal offer.”

The outgoing mayor would no doubt like to play a role in facilitating such an outcome before his retirement in 2024, but he said his vision that involves a Papua New Guinea or Pacific Islands team home-basing in Cairns would first need to be driven by those nations.

“There are a lot of interest involved here – local, state and federal government as well as international,” Cr Manning said. “The spirit of rugby league in Cairns is strong. Council would be happy to be a part of this process but we need to be humble because this is about getting the Pacific Islands and PNG into the NRL. They need to make the decision and council will facilitate to make this less daunting for them.”

Cr Manning said the benefits of any NRL team home-basing in Cairns would bring enormous economic and social development to the region.

“We’re talking about the highest level of league being played here. This could bring youth development, the introduction of PNG into the NBL, the establishment of a women’s league team in PNG … it certainly would involve the case for developing more infrastructure,” he said. “It would take us into other markets. The wealth that would spread between Cairns and Pacific Island nations, the amount of business that will go through this city into the Pacific, would be great for us.”

Cr Manning was confident a team based in Cairns would bring crowds in excess of 10,000 people for key games.

“I have no doubt a Pasifika team would be competitive, therefore they will draw crowds eventually,” he said.

Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch, however, said the idea was unrealistic without a multipurpose stadium to host a team, and blamed the council for leaving the Far North in a disadvantageous position during opportune times. With a business case, he said it was possible the federal government would allocate its share of funding for a multipurpose facility in the near future.

“Of course we could make this happen, but we’ve got to have somewhere for them to play … we could get this done pretty quickly, but we need a decision by the council as to where to put (a stadium),” Mr Entsch said. “We’re the largest regional city in Queensland but we don’t have a stadium. That’s because we haven’t put a case in for it. There’s a lot of money available for the Olympics … the timing couldn’t be better.”

Division 3 councillor Cathy Zeiger confirmed the NRL’s announcement had energised discussion at the council.
“We are having regular discussions on a master plan for a sports precinct,” Cr Zeiger said.

“There’s definitely been a spike in discussion on what we’d build and where we’d get the money from and how it would be operated going forward, but we can’t do anything until we hear a bit more.”

I was loath to post this, It's little more than preliminary pie-in-the-sky and I can see it being seized upon by the dots-on-a-map brigade as a done deal but, in the interests of transparency...
Why are you loathed? It's a great idea, to be based in a great regional city, that is 4 hours away from the next NRL team, anyone north of Cairns get to see a handful of live home games, without having to travel even further to Townsville, and it bringing in PNG into the comp without draining the nearby Cowboys lower grade talent, if anything Cowboys should be looking at focusing on areas south of Townsville to Mackay all the way to rockhampton

Vee

First Grade
Why are you loathed? It's a great idea, to be based in a great regional city, that is 4 hours away from the next NRL team, anyone north of Cairns get to see a handful of live home games, without having to travel even further to Townsville, and it bringing in PNG into the comp without draining the nearby Cowboys lower grade talent, if anything Cowboys should be looking at focusing on areas south of Townsville to Mackay all the way to rockhampton
I can't see the money in Cairns to support an NRL team, we're a tourist town devastated by Covid and fighting a long battle back. No other industry worth the name. Insufficient population to justify a new stadium or support a new team, even our QCup Northern Pride is the poor cousin of that comp. The Pacifica model is pure fancy to me, a political brain fart by some Canberra apparatchik.

MugaB

Coach
I can't see the money in Cairns to support an NRL team, we're a tourist town devastated by Covid and fighting a long battle back. No other industry worth the name. Insufficient population to justify a new stadium or support a new team, even our QCup Northern Pride is the poor cousin of that comp. The Pacifica model is pure fancy to me, a political brain fart by some Canberra apparatchik.
Ok then, do nothing, and cross fingers and hope for the best....
The team will be based there, its not there to be "the Cairns" team, like ive said before it'll be treated as a base, not the home ground, the bulk of home games will be in PNG

Vee

First Grade
Ok then, do nothing, and cross fingers and hope for the best....
The team will be based there, its not there to be "the Cairns" team, like ive said before it'll be treated as a base, not the home ground, the bulk of home games will be in PNG
It's not Hope for the best, I'm happy being part of Cowboys Country. The Cowboys, like Newcastle, can't attract elite players to live in Tsv, even less chance in Cairns.