What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe Oka was lazy. Maybe he had a shit attitude. Maybe he just wasn’t a standout when he was younger. If his potential was plain to see, you’d think we’d have kept him. You’d hope so, anyway.
Some club would’ve picked him up before Manly spotted him hanging out with one of their players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think whoever is spotting juniors in our club is poor tbh. I don't understand how we can't develop anything good in the 1-5 position.
Dragons are a poor club. But still have produced Lomax,Ramsey,Feagi x 2 , Ravalava, Sloan, Saab, in the last 5 seasons. That's 7 NRL backs.
In the sametime we've produced
Penisni,Haze, Russel. That's 1 x genuine NRL player and 2 x potential. I find it an issue somewhere in the set up.
We don’t prioritise outside backs in the NRL side, so we don’t recruit them into our junior system. In fact it looks like we did f**k all junior recruitment in the early years of Mad Max. Since Dylan Brown, Greg Marzhew and Reed Mahoney, which kids did we bring into our system from outside the district? They have all been locals. Only now are we starting to see talented kids from interstate and country NSW coming into the SG Ball team.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I still don't get how we missed the potential in that Okapalutu. You could see just from his physical size and genetics he was worth pursuing with. Instead they went for guys like Hollis.
And I agree Ram. We need a power prop of bench who injects tempo and energy.
Yes we need speed. The best way is wing and centre. Sivo,Guth and Penisini are only average speed. But then we have maybe the two fastest halves in the comp to help. Fix the other two spots in backline and we will be fine.
I think between Russel and Haze we might be ok. Also this Cody Parry kid coming thru will be in NRL sooner rather then later from what my little birds have whispered in my ears
Junior Penisini looks ok as well and the newly promoted 2s Fullback.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Controversial opinion, but I'd rather we sign an out and out right edge forward over a front rower.

We started the season with both edge forwards missing, and one of them is a standout middle.

If you had a middles rotation of
Paulo
RCG
Hopgood
Matterson

You are talking Origin or fringe Origin level in all 4 guys.

Having toilers like Maka, Murchie, and young guys like Greig and Rodwell gives a decent enough balance there.

The problem is that we have to play Matterson on the right edge. Given he is a big minutes guy through the middle, a Matterson/ Doorey right edge isn't woeful.

Outside backs are far more of a concern. Penisini is the only guy worth picking in the 2-5 spots at the moment. I'd like to see Russell and Dunster fit and given a chance there, but there is no guarantee they are the answer.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Controversial opinion, but I'd rather we sign an out and out right edge forward over a front rower.

We started the season with both edge forwards missing, and one of them is a standout middle.

Paulo
RCG
Hopgood
Matterson

Having toilers like Maka, Murchie, and young guys like Greig and Rodwell gives a decent enough balance there.

The problem is that we have to play Matterson on the right edge. Given he is a big minutes guy through the middle, a Matterson/ Doorey right edge isn't woeful.

Outside backs are far more of a concern. Penisini is the only guy worth picking in the 2-5 spots at the moment. I'd like to see Russell and Dunster fit and given a chance there, but there is no guarantee they are the answer.
Sivo ???

I reckon he has been in great form.

He looks fit from the naked eye when watching live.

Chipmunk

Coach
So we have 27/30 spots filled. I thought by the first Monday of March you had to have 29 spots filled
You'd think there has been some sort of dispensation for every club due to the CBA, also technically we claim we've filled 28 because of Nrown. You can actually choose what you want to do if you have had a bloke make it past 1 March and then leaves. You can either fill the spot for the remainder of the year, or keep it vacant. So we can only fill two more spots if we wanted.

hindy111

Post Whore

Paulo
RCG
Hopgood
Matterson

Hmm we have Mataele coming thru and doesn't Brazel come with wraps?