What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Dragons have a bigger supporter base in QLD.

Them, Parra & Souths generally get bigger crowds in QLD due to supporter base in QLD.
You're correct with the above, however, the Dragons didn't come close to selling out their 500~ supporter bay last game and the days of them bringing significant support are long gone - but that will change when they start playing well.

We obviously have the support for big crowds, the issue is pricing rather than away support.

azza29

Juniors
Surprising that there's still no news on where the Storm will play during the world cup. I know they were trying for Marvel but nothing seems to have been locked in which makes me wonder if the AFL is not cooperating. The R18 match v Panthers is the same week all AFL is in Adelaide so you would think that should be no issue, not sure about R22 as the AFL schedule is still "floating" for that weekend.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Surprising that there's still no news on where the Storm will play during the world cup. I know they were trying for Marvel but nothing seems to have been locked in which makes me wonder if the AFL is not cooperating. The R18 match v Panthers is the same week all AFL is in Adelaide so you would think that should be no issue, not sure about R22 as the AFL schedule is still "floating" for that weekend.
Yeah I thought given they announced Souths to Allianz in r12 the Storm TBAs would be dealt with as well.

Why not take a game to Hobart or Launceston and a game to Bendigo though? Kick-start league back up in Tasmania and Central Victoria...nah, that's too much effort for the NRL...

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Has anyone noticed that the AFL have a team in most major cities in regional NSW where they can rally enough troops, even outside the 50/50 Southern Riverina. E.g. Dubbo, Bathurst, Orange, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Tamworth, Armidale, Griffith, Wagga Wagga etc.

Yet in Vic the NRL only has Wodonga, Wangaratta, Warrnambool and Mildura. There's no league at all in Bendigo, Ballarat, Shepparton, Traralgon-Morwell, Sale or Seymour.
Yet they all play NRL touch football.

Playing a game out there could kick-start league in Central and Eastern Vic and grow the sport in an emerging market. But the NRL don't care

And don't get me started on South Australia or Tasmania, where the game is nearly dead and dead respectively

The first game of the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup starts on 20 July 2023, and the last scheduled game in Melbourne for it is on 8 August 2023.

During this period, most of the Storm's scheduled games they are the away team. Round 18 is a TBA venue against the Panthers. Round 19 they have the bye. Round 20 they are away to the Roosters at the SCG on 15 July 20023. Round 21 they are away to the Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium. Round 22 home game against the Eels scheduled for Friday 28 July 2023, with the venue TBA. Round 23, they are away to the Panthers at BlueBet Stadium. Round 24 they come home to AAMI Park against the Raiders on Sunday 13 August 2023.

So yeah, its two games. It could be that Marvel is not what they want, or maybe they are trying to entice a state or regional Government to bid for one of those two home games.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
The first game of the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup starts on 20 July 2023, and the last scheduled game in Melbourne for it is on 8 August 2023.

During this period, most of the Storm's scheduled games they are the away team. Round 18 is a TBA venue against the Panthers. Round 19 they have the bye. Round 20 they are away to the Roosters at the SCG on 15 July 20023. Round 21 they are away to the Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium. Round 22 home game against the Eels scheduled for Friday 28 July 2023, with the venue TBA. Round 23, they are away to the Panthers at BlueBet Stadium. Round 24 they come home to AAMI Park against the Raiders on Sunday 13 August 2023.

So yeah, its two games. It could be that Marvel is not what they want, or maybe they are trying to entice a state or regional Government to bid for one of those two home games.
Would be great if they could take those games to Adelaide or Tassie.

What do the Storm memberships include? If Melbourne based members have paid for those games it may need to be Etihad (or Geelong) so they can feasibly travel, unless of course there are clashes with AFL or the soccer.

yakstorm

First Grade
Has anyone noticed that the AFL have a team in most major cities in regional NSW where they can rally enough troops, even outside the 50/50 Southern Riverina. E.g. Dubbo, Bathurst, Orange, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Tamworth, Armidale, Griffith, Wagga Wagga etc.

Yet in Vic the NRL only has Wodonga, Wangaratta, Warrnambool and Mildura. There's no league at all in Bendigo, Ballarat, Shepparton, Traralgon-Morwell, Sale or Seymour.

Playing a game out there could kick-start league in Central and Eastern Vic and grow the sport in an emerging market. But the NRL don't care

And don't get me started on South Australia or Tasmania, where the game is nearly dead and dead respectively
The NRL argument would be that they give money to NRL Victoria/VRL and would expect them to use some of their money & resources to help support growing the game out of Melbourne.

Unfortunately however the VRL has always been Melbourne focused. Ballarat and Gippsland both had leagues of 4 teams, however struggled to get even recognition from the VRL.

Remember working for ARL Foundation in the early 00s and if the internet hadn't existed we would have had zero awareness of those leagues as the VRL only cared about Melbourne.

It's sad as there is definitely plenty of towns across Victoria which could fill a team if the structures existed. Its one thing as a sport we do so poorly compared to AFL & Union.

Pneuma

First Grade

For Victorian rugby league clubs you might want to add the towns of Benalla, Bonegilla, Stawell and Robinvale

Pneuma

First Grade
Would be great if they could take those games to Adelaide or Tassie.

What do the Storm memberships include? If Melbourne based members have paid for those games it may need to be Etihad (or Geelong) so they can feasibly travel, unless of course there are clashes with AFL or the soccer.
There is no suitable rectangular ground in Tasmania. The afl/cricket grounds are completely inappropriate for our game.

Dark Corner

Juniors

I wonder the people involved in Touch/Tag Football in the AFL states are League and even Union fans ?

SouthsCountry

Juniors
For Victorian rugby league clubs you might want to add the towns of Benalla, Bonegilla, Stawell and Robinvale
Hahahahahaha you've clearly never been there....easy mistake to make, Bonegilla is a crossroads. It's really an army team based in Wodonga

Other three are great, but the AFL also has SELECTED towns in NSW e.g. Ulladulla, Parkes, Byron Bay etc.

One big crowd, like at the QEII Oval in Bendigo (capacity 20k), and league is back in central Vic

The games can be Bendigo and Hobart, and if members paid for the game, just pay them back if they can't make it.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
There is no suitable rectangular ground in Tasmania. The afl/cricket grounds are completely inappropriate for our game.
So let's just do nothing and literally not exist in the state.

You need to earn the right to have a Rectangular ground...it is their state after all.

And just build one... the enemy has no problem doing that, they build ovals all across our states

Pneuma

First Grade
So let's just do nothing and literally not exist in the state.

You need to earn the right to have a Rectangular ground...it is their state after all.

And just build one... the enemy has no problem doing that, they build ovals all across our states
I live in the state and I ran the game in the state so I kinda get what we should do in the state. We are half a million people spread across three regions with over half the population up north and north west.
We have no suitable rectangular grounds because our government is afl obsessed. Holding a game won’t achieve anything here unless there is some broader strategy behind it. I belong to a body here which is meant to be building that strategy but we’ve been forgotten yet again.
My impression is that, despite its good intentions about doing something here nrl vic is too busy operating the game in Victoria to do anything in fact.
Rugby Union in this state is a joke and we could have easily been the dominant rugby code down here but the simple fact is nobody was ever serious about making it happen except for the local body which was seriously underfunded and died through exhaustion. Amen

Vibing

Juniors
Next year could be interesting. Nrl should up the ante to $10 million minimum
While ever the NSW govt mucks around with its commitment or lack there of to stadiums in Sydney , the threat will be there with all the mainland capitals in play.

The NRL needs to the hard word on Minns
a decision on stadiums or $10 mill price tag on the 2023 GF by June.

Latest posts