What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 11 vs Souths @ Accor Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park / Wanngal

Who will win? Round 11: Souths v Wests Tigers

• South Sydney Rabbitohs 13+

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macnaz

Staff member
I might add that despite Sheens basically bagging Mag's coaching and playing style and how he will transform them to an attacking team we wouldn't recognize , we are actually at this point in the season nearly 30 points lower in points scored in relation to 2022

Tigerm

First Grade
I didn’t se the game, heard the last 15 or so on the radio. Commentators there and both my tigers and souths mates all said the game was a lot closer than the scoreline indicated. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing.
Well, a loss is a loss, but they defended very well for about 70 mins, but then fell off, the problem is we just can't score and don't look like scoring points.

Tigerm

First Grade
Well, a loss is a loss, but they defended very well for about 70 mins, but then fell off, the problem is we just can't score and don't look like scoring points.
I have bagged Brooks for a long time, but his defence was very good, just a shame his primary role is to get our attack going, which has been the problem all year.

Imo, we are building a good team, both forwards and backs, but just need to find a half that can get us through or over the line with some consistency.

MasterTiger

Juniors
No doubt at times our attack is clunky and predictable. That is a result of a new spine and no genuine super star. With haven’t got a Munster, Cleary , Walsh , Nico ,Latrell. As fans I think we should understand this and be fair in our appraisals. Ask your self if we did have one of the mentioned above do you think our attack would be the same? I thought it was one of the best losses we have had in years and I guarantee you there are a lot of sore South’s players today.

Tigerm

First Grade
No doubt at times our attack is clunky and predictable. That is a result of a new spine and no genuine super star. With haven’t got a Munster, Cleary , Walsh , Nico ,Latrell. As fans I think we should understand this and be fair in our appraisals. Ask your self if we did have one of the mentioned above do you think our attack would be the same? I thought it was one of the best losses we have had in years and I guarantee you there are a lot of sore South’s players today.
Agree but Brooks is on super star money and he is not performing. I think most believe we need to get someone who can perform.

Wizardman

First Grade
In all honesty, our defence has been pretty good for most of the year. Our attack has been crap EVERY f**kING WEEK!!!!! Our attack being crap puts a huge amount of pressure on our defence....hence the leakage of points. Halves and backline changes are needed.....strangely, Starford is impressing me this year.

Tigerm

First Grade
In all honesty, our defence has been pretty good for most of the year. Our attack has been crap EVERY f**kING WEEK!!!!! Our attack being crap puts a huge amount of pressure on our defence....hence the leakage of points. Halves and backline changes are needed.....strangely, Starford is impressing me this year.
I mentioned earlier that I thought the backs are worth persisting with, even Nofo decided to run straight and was effective, but alas it just comes down to our 7 not being able to take any advantage of the rest of the teams efforts.
He can defend as good as anyone but that’s not what he’s in the team for. If they keep him (on appropriate $’s) then get someone with a clue on how to attack.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Just watched the Mini on fox, hard to get a grasp from just highlights. I heard the last 15 mins on abc radio and I think it was Luke Lewis said ‘ they’ve had no luck from the bounce of the ball to some 50/50 calls.’

2 things from the highlights stood out to me.

1) 2 plays before Souths first try Walker threw a pass that was legitimately 2 meters forward. Look when you lose a game 20-0 it’s never the refs fault but f*#k it does my head in when shit like this gets missed. I guarantee if we throw that pass it gets called up.

2) Why the hell did Brooks kick after his break? I’d back him to beat Latrell for pace anyday. It was still 8-0 at that stage, souths scored a few mins later to put it out of reach.

Sheens in the press conference said both teams had limited chances, souths took theirs whilst we didn’t. When you have a limited attack as ours you need to convert those chances.

Another small thing, how the hell does EVERY sideline conversion against us get converted? I’d love to know the stats on this, I swear it feels like every goal kicking hack turns into hazem el masri against us. Apparently most good goal kickers average between 45-50% from the sideline. I’d bet money it’s 75-80% against us.

Anyways onward to the cowboys, we owe those pricks after the farcical scenes of last year.

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
Brooks had Bula looming on the right too. If he kicked right or even slowed up for a pass we would have scored. It was like he was so surprised we had actually created a try scoring opportunity and panicked and chose the worst option.

Pezz70

Juniors
Agree about Toa, I had written him off last year but his last few games have been reasonable.

Pezz70

Juniors
I think we just need a game where our attack comes to the fore, you see a glimpse here or there’s but our backs are starved of genuinely clean ball, someone mentioned Brooks being able to put it on Lawrence and Garners chest when they were running a line, this was Papalii’s specialty at Parra but we’re yet to see it.

Tigerm

First Grade
At the end of the day, we put up a good to reasonable showing against the team coming first, remembering we are still coming last, so no miracle happened, though at the 70 min mark anything could of happened, but I think we have plenty to work with if they can some good ball.

Das Hassler

Bench
Interesting interview with a very articulate Lachlan Ilias on the ABC earlier...he spoke about working on his defence so he wouldn't be a soft target. He cited Brooks and said no matter how many times their forwards targeted him Brooks ( quote) " kept bending us over and in the sheds at HT a couple of them were a bit rattled by it". Makes me wonder how if we did get an organizing half , how Brooks would go as a ball playing lock...surely he'd go as well as Hastings could have and probably better than Offa. He's an 80 min toiler and his one on one defence is great. I'd probably rather keep him as a lock than lose him as a half
Just a thought without too much thinking involved

Das Hassler

Bench
Brooks had Bula looming on the right too. If he kicked right or even slowed up for a pass we would have scored. It was like he was so surprised we had actually created a try scoring opportunity and panicked and chose the worst option.

I suspect Api called for the kick inside...I'll have another look but with the angle of Brooks run that's the only thing that makes sense to me...he probably didn't see Api but did hear a call...or not? Might be remembering it wrong

how Brooks would go as a ball playing lock...surely he'd go as well as Hastings could have and probably better than Offa. He's an 80 min toiler and his one on one defence is great. I'd probably rather keep him as a lock than lose him as a half
I’ve thought that for a while Das, tough enough to also take a settle but not as often as an Ofa. Hate to see him get in the way though when the Tigers do have the ball because you know he’d stuff it up.

Das Hassler

Bench
I’ve thought that for a while Das, tough enough to also take a settle but not as often as an Ofa. Hate to see him get in the way though when the Tigers do have the ball because you know he’d stuff it up.

If he was just playing as a link man it could work...I'm a fan of Offa's ...he'd be part of the rotation and could go to lock if Brooks had to fill in in the halves. Brooks gets hammered but when you break it right down it's only (albeit a BIG only) for his attacking deficiencies in the 20...being fair though he ticks every other box pretty well..he plays above his weight so why not just move him and utlise his strengths
Just another thought...I'd bet he'd rather stay and enjoy his footy at the Tigers in whatever position than play half somewhere alse

Tigerm

First Grade
If he was just playing as a link man it could work...I'm a fan of Offa's ...he'd be part of the rotation and could go to lock if Brooks had to fill in in the halves. Brooks gets hammered but when you break it right down it's only (albeit a BIG only) for his attacking deficiencies in the 20...being fair though he ticks every other box pretty well..he plays above his weight so why not just move him and utlise his strengths
Just another thought...I'd bet he'd rather stay and enjoy his footy at the Tigers in whatever position than play half somewhere alse
What money would he want? He wouldn't get $1m to be a lock? I agree he's not a bad footballer, it's just he's not a very good half, for me, better him and the club went there separate ways.

simmo1

First Grade
Bateman should be lock for mine. I think Pole goes well, but doesn't bring any creativity which we desperately need right now.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bateman should be lock for mine. I think Pole goes well, but doesn't bring any creativity which we desperately need right now.

Pole at lock is ridiculous, blokes an impact prop. Matamua should be the starting 13 imo, he’s an actual ball player