What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
It’s similar to being of Irish heritage: it’s ‘different’, it’s intangible, there’s no denying it, generally a source of pride and sometimes, for extended periods of time, can be embarrassing - which induces angry outbursts and heavy drinking.

It’s a personal thing and not for everyone.

When he’s a bit tipsy and happy, young ex sgi kid at work he’s outstanding company. Plenty of jokes and taking the piss.

We were trying to hook him up with my little sister but he’s spoken for.

Another genetic attribute is his hatred of the shire. Always pleased to hear that they have lost. A satisfying little smile if it’s raised.

These matters and the odd off-colour joke come naturally to the Saints faithful. Certainly not pc. No no no!

And then of course, the reverence for Robert Stone, the contempt for Matt Dufty and a begrudging respect for Hosty even if he moved on.

Do this very day, nobody knows why Host was pursued so hard by the bunnies. Not even Hosty. What we do know is that he is a Saint.

It’s a way of life.

This is a small fraction of the values to pass onto New Coach whoever it may be.

Last edited:

56to66

Juniors
I sometimes think that, imposters are running the club, like a rooster supporter, a doggy supporter, a sharks supporter, an eel supporter, a Manly supporter, a souffs supporter, all laughing there back side off, jerking off at the expense of a true St George supporter, loving the failures.
My tip Boys and Girls Dean Young will be coach,
Not Shane Flanagan.

hewi

Bench
LOTS OF PEOPLE PUSHING THE FLANAGAN WAGON NOW.

‘Stunned no one’s hired him’: Dragons meet Flanagan as ex-Sharks boss backs Red V revolution​

By Adrian Proszenko and Adam Pengilly

June 7, 2023 — 7.45pm

St George Illawarra powerbrokers have stepped up their pursuit of premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan after holding talks with the Manly assistant coach on Wednesday.
On the same day former Cronulla chairman Damian Keogh provided Flanagan with a glowing endorsement, the Sharks’ history maker is firmly in the frame to become Anthony Griffin’s permanent replacement.

Play Video

Play video
3:09

Maroons icons fearing Blues will pick Reynolds​

Darren Lockyer and Wally Lewis both believe Adam Reynolds could be the answer to Brad Fittler's No.7 problem.
He met St George Illawarra chairman Andrew Lancaster and board member Ben Creagh, with the embattled Dragons hopeful of announcing a permanent replacement within a week.
Some sections of the Dragons board had reservations about Flanagan, but may reconsider their stance after being forced to resume their search. Flanagan has served NRL suspensions for his role in the Sharks’ supplements scandal and also for not observing the terms of that ban.

The Dragons position remains vacant after preferred applicant Jason Ryles rejected a lucrative four-year deal to instead work under Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy next season. Former premiership players Dean Young and Ben Hornby are the other contenders.
Dragons powerbrokers have begun their due diligence on Flanagan and other candidates.
Shane Flanagan is in the frame for the Dragons job.

Shane Flanagan is in the frame for the Dragons job.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
Keogh, who was the Sharks chairman in 2016 when Flanagan became the first and only man to steer the club to a premiership, believes the coach is ready for another opportunity at the top.
“Personally, I’m a bit surprised that nobody has picked him up as a head coach just given his track record at the Sharks, despite a couple of hiccups there for him,” Keogh said.

Advertisement

“His ability to put together a team to go all the way to win a premiership, there don’t appear to be that many coaches with that direct experience. It’s surprised me that no one has picked him up before.
“He’s the first to admit in the early days of Cronulla that there were a lot of issues around governance ... that’s something he would learn from.
Dean Young is still in the frame for the Dragons job.

Dean Young is still in the frame for the Dragons job.CREDIT: GETTY
“I think his reliability and professionalism, all those areas, are key. From the outside, for whoever goes into that St George Illawarra job, it’s not necessarily going to be a straightforward thing.”
After being rejected by a rookie – Ryles felt the job of rebuilding his former club was beyond him –some Red V officials believe it’s a task for a seasoned hand. Flanagan is one of three premiership-winning mentors, alongside Michael Maguire and Des Hasler, looking for a head coaching role. While Maguire and Hasler haven’t been completely discounted, Flanagan shapes as the leading contender should the club opt for an experienced coach.

Dragons director Peter Doust, an influential member from the St George side of the board, has reservations about Flanagan. Whether other pro-Flanagan powerbrokers have been able to allay his concerns remains unclear.
Keogh believed the best chance for Flanagan, or anyone else, to succeed at the Dragons would come if the coach, chief executive and board were aligned.
‘It’s surprised me that no one has picked him up before.’
Former Sharks chair Damian Keogh on Shane Flanagan
“When we had success at Cronulla, we had a strong alignment of those three areas,” Keogh said.
“When you look at most clubs that end up winning premierships or being perennially successful, that holy trinity is key to that. Personally, for Shane’s sake, I hope he gets it and is successful.”

Flanagan, who was previously a member of the Dragons brains trust, is an assistant to Anthony Seibold at Manly. Seibold has said he won’t stand in Flanagan’s way should a head coach job arise.
“Obviously, Jason had some concerns when he went there and pulled out last minute,” Flanagan told 2GB this week.

RELATED ARTICLE​

Dylan Brown leaves Downing Centre on Wednesday morning.

Updated​

NRL off-field behaviour

NRL stands down Eels star Brown over sexual touching charges

“There’s a lot of water to go under the bridge. Hopefully, it doesn’t take too long if it’s going to happen, but I’ll leave it to my manager ... but I don’t think I need to go through an interview process.
“Obviously, the club would know what I’ve done in the game; I’ve coached at NRL level for eight years, won a competition, obviously everyone talks about I’ve had a suspension, but I learnt so much from that period, and I’m a better person, better coach ... If the Dragons are interested, we’ll chat.”

The club’s coaching call could have implications for the future of star halfback and skipper Ben Hunt. Several clubs, including the Gold Coast and Canterbury, are ready to make a move should Hunt want to leave. Hunt, who is contracted until the end of 2025, was close to Griffin and is said to be keen to play in his preferred position of halfback rather than hooker

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I sometimes think that, imposters are running the club, like a rooster supporters, a doggy supporters, a sharks supporters, an eel supporter, a Manly supporter, a souffs supporters, all laughing there back side off, jerking off at the expense of a true St George supporter, loving the failures.
My tip Boys and Girls Dean Young will be coach,
Not Shane Flanagan.
In that case I'd stop watching for a while mate.

Gareth67

First Grade
I understand it, but I don’t know what it is like to go through it.

The New Coach will need to be taken aside in a quiet room and have it explained to him.
Beg to differ slightly T.S.P , should Flanagan be chosen the genetics of the supporter will not matter one bit .

The man is all about winning and will do what is necessary to get the job done , moving the team up the ladder and giving all Dragon supporters some much needed happiness .

Maddragon99

Juniors
I also didn’t realise Flanno was a Saints junior & played a handful of first grade games in ‘87 before leaving for Wests then Parra.

This doesn’t make him an old boy as such but it does suggest he has some love for the Red V.

Surely the club can’t f this up, I truly hope the board can get this done, apparently Doust is the problem, for some reason he has an issue with him. If it has something to do with the drug scandal, he did the crime & did his time. Given our blind loyalty to de Belin plus sticking by Amone & F Molo it shows we can offer redemption.

getsmarty

Immortal
I also didn’t realise Flanno was a Saints junior & played a handful of first grade games in ‘87 before leaving for Wests then Parra.

This doesn’t make him an old boy as such but it does suggest he has some love for the Red V.

Surely the club can’t f this up, I truly hope the board can get this done, apparently Doust is the problem, for some reason he has an issue with him. If it has something to do with the drug scandal, he did the crime & did his time. Given our blind loyalty to de Belin plus sticking by Amone & F Molo it shows we can offer redemption.
Agree @Maddragon99 . Going by their past efforts, this is more than likely.

If we end up with a Rookie coach after all this..and no change to the recruitment or GM...then we are cooked.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Agree @Maddragon99 . Going by their past efforts, this is more than likely.

If we end up with a Rookie coach after all this..and no change to the recruitment or GM...then we are cooked.
For mine I think we need an experienced coach & Flanno is the best coach available. But if that’s not to be & we end up with Young or Hornby we’ll just have to get behind them.

Nathan Brown is much maligned on this forum but from memory he took us to the finals 6 out of 8 seasons including 2 preliminary finals. Right now I’d take that in a heartbeat so it might all still work out.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
For mine I think we need an experienced coach & Flanno is the best coach available. But if that’s not to be & we end up with Young or Hornby we’ll just have to get behind them.

Nathan Brown is much maligned on this forum but from memory he took us to the finals 6 out of 8 seasons including 2 preliminary finals. Right now I’d take that in a heartbeat so it might all still work out.
Yeh, well he had a bloody good playing squad in those days.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench

Absolutely mate, we can offer redemption we took on Packer and to a lesser extent Dugan after their indiscretions,

justadragon

Bench

i'm afraid that if Young or Hornby get this job now with the mess we are in, then I will join other members of this forum by giving it away. If we cant help ourselves and realise what is needed by now, well I'm not going through another 4-5 years of total disgust, enough is enough. I will wish them good luck but really I dont need this BS in my life which has damaged something that i have loved for over 40 years.

redVinme

Bench
i'm afraid that if Young or Hornby get this job now with the mess we are in, then I will join other members of this forum by giving it away. If we cant help ourselves and realise what is needed by now, well I'm not going through another 4-5 years of total disgust, enough is enough. I will wish them good luck but really I dont need this BS in my life which has damaged something that i have loved for over 40 years.
Right there with you. If they don't care why should I. It's exhausting

justadragon

Bench
Right there with you. If they don't care why should I. It's exhausting
I dont know about you redVinme, but everyday I think about how other clubs go about their business, and then you have the Dragons that have the ability to to produce drama and cockups, and a constant barrage of media headlines, seriously we are the worst managed club in the NRL, everyday is like groundhog day to me now. Oh yes the Dragons have selected the wrong coach, oh yes we have bought the wrong players, oh yes our board and management have no idea. And it goes on, its totally laughable but mind numbing as well.

redVinme

Bench
I dont know about you redVinme, but everyday I think about how other clubs go about their business, and then you have the Dragons that have the ability to to produce drama and cockups, and a constant barrage of media headlines, seriously we are the worst managed club in the NRL, everyday is like groundhog day to me now. Oh yes the Dragons have selected the wrong coach, oh yes we have bought the wrong players, oh yes our board and management have no idea. And it goes on, its totally laughable but mind numbing as well.
Oh I feel exactly the same.

For me it feels like it almost has to be intentional sabotage. Like you couldn't get it wrong that often if they tried.

I'm all for trying things and making mistakes but the NRL is a business and we are still like a school tuckshop full of well meaning volunteers.

The problem is they aren't actually well meaning. Just self serving at the expense of us long term supporters. Bleeding us dry of anything to have hope about just so they can hire their mates .

Sad stuff

Beg to differ slightly T.S.P , should Flanagan be chosen the genetics of the supporter will not matter one bit .

The man is all about winning and will do what is necessary to get the job done , moving the team up the ladder and giving all Dragon supporters some much needed happiness .

Well the benefit of the doubt should be extended to the successful candidate.

We can expect differing opinions about prospects and once he makes further decisions, players etc, they are bound to be controversial.

It’s the nature of the beast, the passion on display.

But enigmatic and exciting times ahead.

A bit of light on the horizon.

I still think Des is best, but if Flanno gets the gig and does well, that’s fine by me.

The proof will be in the pudding.

But “come to papa thy new recruits” for a start.

Marquee or gun prospects please, hold the gravy.

Last edited:

teza

Juniors
Flanno would certainly put some pep into the team and may change the tide. No, all jokes aside he understands
footy and what it takes to rebuild a club. As far as Ben Hunt goes- for a $m a season he should bloody well play where the coach picks him. If hooker is best for the team, so be it. Never, as a coach/club allow a player to dictate
team selections. Players in the BEST clubs understand it's a TEAM game! Anyway he'd fit right in with the whining Doggies and Phil the God Gould.