What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
The only little things that worries me with the Flanno appointment is a bit of dejavu
Both him and Hook worked for 2GB before coming and were strongly endorsed and supported by the radio station..hope I am wrong

There was always a sense that Hook was a bit of a “ see what happens” coach. 2 years to start with. The club was only comfy with him on short term spurts and I don’t think he was ever seen as a genuine long term prospect.

To his credit, there’s not many players he cut from the roster that have gone on to greater things and he wasn’t given a lot space for signings.

It was always coming to an end although with hindsight, last season may have been better.

He must have convinced them the extra year was worth it, but the sell didn’t last very long.

He wasn’t helped by the players. For whatever reason.

I think there were rumblings and a disconnect here and there. But Hunts impending exit is a rare honour for Hook. Hunt bought in.

If he doesn’t sign with us, I hope he stays with you. Good halves are at a genuine premium.

You may not come to realise that properly until it’s too late. It’s a dark place.

Last edited:

Jim Dragons

Juniors
And people saying bring in Young or Hornby as AC to take over in 2-3 years time, as if, he wants to coach for as long as he can.
I think we already have a second-in-command onsite with Carr. He seems to have the dressing room and has the boys playing with more purpose in attack - rather than just constant 5 up for a kick. We spread the ball and have scored some great tries. So as long as he gets along with Flanno - he does either attack or defence (which side was he controlling for Hook? - but l would like him looking after attack - ex half if l am correct).
After today Holbrook is available (ex SGI lower grade coach if l am correct). He might be a good pick up. He spoke at lot about defence at the Titans... but usually talking about them not having enough of it - so he knows what it looks like.
Since Hook has left l have been impressed with how we are playing. Don't get me wrong... still plenty of room to improve... BUT we aren't too far away from just making the semis. If you take a quick look at the Cowboys over the last three seasons you would see... once everyone is rowing in the same direction that the ship can turn quickly.
I just hope that over the next few weeks we hear Flanno placing pressure on himself and saying this is a team capable of winning footy games. I hope he is talking like - if Hunt goes that it frees up Salary Cap and that the Saints have a ready made spine to move forward. Don't give our team any reason to doubt themselves.

BLM01

First Grade
I think we already have a second-in-command onsite with Carr. He seems to have the dressing room and has the boys playing with more purpose in attack - rather than just constant 5 up for a kick. We spread the ball and have scored some great tries. So as long as he gets along with Flanno - he does either attack or defence (which side was he controlling for Hook? - but l would like him looking after attack - ex half if l am correct).
After today Holbrook is available (ex SGI lower grade coach if l am correct). He might be a good pick up. He spoke at lot about defence at the Titans... but usually talking about them not having enough of it - so he knows what it looks like.
Since Hook has left l have been impressed with how we are playing. Don't get me wrong... still plenty of room to improve... BUT we aren't too far away from just making the semis. If you take a quick look at the Cowboys over the last three seasons you would see... once everyone is rowing in the same direction that the ship can turn quickly.
I just hope that over the next few weeks we hear Flanno placing pressure on himself and saying this is a team capable of winning footy games. I hope he is talking like - if Hunt goes that it frees up Salary Cap and that the Saints have a ready made spine to move forward. Don't give our team any reason to doubt themselves.
Ryan Carr said he hoped to have something sorted out in a couple of weeks...in line with Flanno's announcements of staff perhaps!

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Poor possm had his heart set on Des coming to the Dragons to replace Griffin and many others as well. It just amazes me how these negotiations can be kept from even being leaked with Holbrook being blindsided and not even having any notion that this would happen so suddenly.

Well possm, Des is with the Titans and he will have David Fifita who you have wanted for ages at the Dragons. Same with Tino. He wont be going anywhere.

The Titans will have a strong squad next year and I'm sure Des will get a few more that will help him and the club to be top 4 material, including maybe the likes of Hunt, who Des might convince to play in the No.9 as they already have a dearth of good halves there.

Holbrook has the shits and why shouldn't he.

This is what gets me. The Titans were able to get Des (possibly on big coin) without anybody knowing - not even the nosey media guys like Weidler and Hooper and we have the full circus of clowns and acrobat of a possible new coach backflipping and causing many laughs as a circus would provide.

In the end it has sorted itself out as far as a coach at the Dragons is concerned. Just need to get things done with Hunt and sort out the support staff and new guys being signed up.
I may be wrong but i don't think Des has a manager, so Titans CEO would have dealt with Hasler direct, thats why probably no leaks..

BLM01

First Grade
Ryan Carr said he hoped tyo have something sorted out in a couple of weeks...in line with Flanno's announcements of staff perhaps!

dannyt

Coach
I may be wrong but i don't think Des has a manager, so Titans CEO would have dealt with Hasler direct, thats why probably no leaks..
I asked a similar question on JA, because a mate of mine heard on the radio that Hasler and Hunt have the same manager. According to @RufusRex, Hasler is managed by Mimis (SFS) and Hunt by GS Sports Management (Gillis/Davis).

TheRev

First Grade
I'm sure Carr will have a role at the club, but its a little tricky in that Flanagan would never have met the bloke.. or certainly not worked with him.. so I dunno if Flanno has sat around all these years with 'specific' guys in his mind as who he would want to assist him if/when he gets his head coaching role.. .. or perhaps Shane is that confident that it really doesnt matter who the assistants are..

Last edited:

mattchuot

Juniors
I'm sure Carr will have a role at the club, but its a little tricky in that Flanagan would never have met the bloke.. or certainly not worked with him.. so I dunno if Flanno has sat around all these years with 'specific' guys in his mind as who he would want in a head coaching role.. .. or perhaps Shane is that confident that it really doesnt matter who the assistants are..
Webb is on record as saying that he really likes Carr and hopes to lock him down at the club. Whether that stance has changed since Flanno got appointed I am not sure. At the end of the day it comes down to Flanno on whether to keep him on staff. I think everyone can agree it would be in Flanno’s best interest to keep Carr as it just adds a little bit of stability and familiarity during a time of so much change.

56to66

Juniors
Ray Hadlee was blowing Dessie hard on the Ben Fordham show, saying Des would be a great pick up for the Titans, the NRL is a result driven business bluh bluh and a change was needed since Justin Holbrook had a win loss of 30%, great to see how these shock jocks distort the truth, probably justify Benny the Banker breaking his contract.
Anyways Justin would be a handy pick up for the Dragons as assistant, along side Carr.
YearsTeamGmsWDLW%
2017–19St Helens877001780
2020–23Gold Coast Titans813005137
Total16810006860

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I'm sure Carr will have a role at the club, but its a little tricky in that Flanagan would never have met the bloke.. or certainly not worked with him.. so I dunno if Flanno has sat around all these years with 'specific' guys in his mind as who he would want to assist him if/when he gets his head coaching role.. .. or perhaps Shane is that confident that it really doesnt matter who the assistants are..
hopefully keeps him, Flanagan did say he is talking to staff to bring in etc, i think we may see a few ex Cronulla staff appointed, wouldn't be surprised if we end up with JMorris as an AC

hopefully keeps him, Flanagan did say he is talking to staff to bring in etc, i think we may see a few ex Cronulla staff appointed, wouldn't be surprised if we end up with JMorris as an AC

Flanagan, Carr and JM would be a sensible start.

Three first grade coaches in some ways.

Snatch the Broncos recruiter and the world changes.

If they couldn’t find a way…

Last edited:

offiah

Juniors
Has he got a gig at the moment? Seems pretty decent, plus maybe we could grab Teig Wilton after that as well 👍🏼

dannyt

Coach
Hopefully Flanno is not consistent if you put it that way @dannyt .
I hadn't thought of it that way. I only saw the three clangers against hook which forms an easily identifiable pattern.

I wouldn't think Flanno would be stupid enough to be involved in any questionable activity again, would he? If he did, young Kyle can be considered very lucky he was born 24 years ago, because that level of stupidity would easily earn Flanno snr a Darwin Award.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I only saw the three clangers against hook which forms an easily identifiable pattern.

I wouldn't think Flanno would be stupid enough to be involved in any questionable activity again, would he? If he did, young Kyle can be considered very lucky he was born 24 years ago, because that level of stupidity would easily earn Flanno snr a Darwin Award.

A lot of crime is also the stuff of Darwin awards.

My cop mate reckons there should be a section in the Crimes Act for stupidity.

Hollers went off his head.

I tend to agree with him that all this cloak and dagger stuff by the Titans was a bit unnecessary.

Who are they trying to impress?

Almost all coaches know they are going to be sacked, but this was a childish and unprofessional effort by the Titans and they should be roundly condemned.

Des isn’t arriving until next year and he should’ve been given the chance to see what he could do. It’s different from Hook although once coaches are butchered, you don’t really know how they would’ve gone.

I don’t think Des will be too impressed quietly.

Last edited: