What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
Flanno would certainly put some pep into the team and may change the tide. No, all jokes aside he understands
footy and what it takes to rebuild a club. As far as Ben Hunt goes- for a $m a season he should bloody well play where the coach picks him. If hooker is best for the team, so be it. Never, as a coach/club allow a player to dictate
team selections. Players in the BEST clubs understand it's a TEAM game! Anyway he'd fit right in with the whining Doggies and Phil the God Gould.

Some awesome points.

I bet it was ciraldo who rang Ryles in the carpark who got him to change his mind.

The carnage at Belmore this season totally befits the organised crime dna they have going for them out there.

I should be more generous…nah…!!

Last edited:

Gardenia

Juniors
I sometimes think that, imposters are running the club, like a rooster supporter, a doggy supporter, a sharks supporter, an eel supporter, a Manly supporter, a souffs supporter, all laughing there back side off, jerking off at the expense of a true St George supporter, loving the failures.
My tip Boys and Girls Dean Young will be coach,
Not Shane Flanagan.
I think Buzz said Flanagan won't chase the job hard.
sounds a bit old school
Young I bet will chase it very hard.
I hope that doesn't swing the pendulum Young's way.
Ive predicted Young for a while because well nepotism
I'll be disgusted if this is the case.
Ill block my ears if they try to sell us some BS crap about why Young will be so great
Gosh please dont let it happen.

denis preston

First Grade
For mine I think we need an experienced coach & Flanno is the best coach available. But if that’s not to be & we end up with Young or Hornby we’ll just have to get behind them.

Nathan Brown is much maligned on this forum but from memory he took us to the finals 6 out of 8 seasons including 2 preliminary finals. Right now I’d take that in a heartbeat so it might all still work out.
Did you see the players he had to get that record ? Nearly 7 SOO players ! It is damming that he didn’t at lest get to one GF. Huge fail as a coach.

BLM01

First Grade
I think Buzz said Flanagan won't chase the job hard.
sounds a bit old school
Young I bet will chase it very hard.
I hope that doesn't swing the pendulum Young's way.
Ive predicted Young for a while because well nepotism
I'll be disgusted if this is the case.
Ill block my ears if they try to sell us some BS crap about why Young will be so great
Gosh please dont let it happen.
All this speculation about DY head coach forget it. They wont do that nor will DY. At worst he may come back in time as an assistant but he has a bigger job ahead of him at the Cowboys especially ATM
The liklihood is the Dragons spoke to him again to get his take on Flanno to coach as he has worked with him and they both rated each other.
Flanno originally endorsed DY to take over from Mary when the job was available because Flanno was still banned.
No doubt Craig Young is still around and the BOD respect DY's opinion.
Wishful thinking.. maybe but that is my take

Victoire

Juniors
There’s nothing in the article that directly quotes Ben Hunt. It’s one guy blurting an opinion, which has been gossiped around the traps for ages, and the rest of them blurting their unsubstantiated opinions. Hunt is entitled to his own thoughts but these boors trying to one-up each other about what he might or might not be thinking is not a reasonable basis to criticise him.
Spot on. The takes from Silverdale Phantom in this thread are just as tiresome as the dribble from NRL360 and Fox sports reportage. Ignore them all

dannyt

Coach
For mine I think we need an experienced coach & Flanno is the best coach available. But if that’s not to be & we end up with Young or Hornby we’ll just have to get behind them.

Nathan Brown is much maligned on this forum but from memory he took us to the finals 6 out of 8 seasons including 2 preliminary finals. Right now I’d take that in a heartbeat so it might all still work out.
If you look at the talent he had available to him when he coached us, then you could say he either under-performed in his tenure as coach or he wasn't a very good coach.

If you look at his NRL record post St George, then you would probably be swayed to the latter part of the above sentence.

Mojo

Bench
It’s a personal thing and not for everyone.

When he’s a bit tipsy and happy, young ex sgi kid at work he’s outstanding company. Plenty of jokes and taking the piss.

We were trying to hook him up with my little sister but he’s spoken for.

Another genetic attribute is his hatred of the shire. Always pleased to hear that they have lost. A satisfying little smile if it’s raised.

These matters and the odd off-colour joke come naturally to the Saints faithful. Certainly not pc. No no no!

And then of course, the reverence for Robert Stone, the contempt for Matt Dufty and a begrudging respect for Hosty even if he moved on.

Do this very day, nobody knows why Host was pursued so hard by the bunnies. Not even Hosty. What we do know is that he is a Saint.

It’s a way of life.

This is a small fraction of the values to pass onto New Coach whoever it may be.
I went to the same school as Robert Stone. He was a year ahead of me. He was always a champion. Academically good too, I believe. If I recall correctly, both he and his elder brother were school captains and both were stars in every sport and athletics. They were very talented, very popular and highly respected.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Dean Young is sitting back laughing his backside off, will do a Steven Bradbury.
Thanks too our BOD, Shane Flanagan should have been appointed on Tuesday, announced Wednesday 11am.
As I see it, the longer this selection process takes, then the more chance Young & Hornby are right in this.

I wouldn’t underestimate the opinion & influence that Wayne Bennett has over the St.George side of the BOD, especially with Doust & Ben Creagh.

Bennett was instrumental in getting Hornby to South’s as an Assistant under his watch. He also, tried unsuccessfully to get Young to the Dolphins as an Assistant this year.

He obviously still has wraps on the both of them and maybe his recommendation & push may still have some sway in the Dragons corridors of power.

DragonBorn95

Juniors
Flanno is the man. I can only imagine the backlash if we all wake up to the news Dean young has been appointed as coach what a joke that will be. I would rather Hornby or Young as an assistant and Flanno head coach but lets see how it all plays out, this is a big choice for the club they better not stuff it up. I did think Madge wouldve been a good fit but it doesnt look like he is interested as the knights are sounding him out to take over from obrien apparently

Last edited: