What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

I don't see us making any major signs for 2024, as others have pointed out we'll probably get Tracey and Curran, unless the dogs offer Curran more dollars, which will be great, because I don't think Curran is the type of player we should be focusing on. Yes he is decent, but how many more players do we need that have had off field issues. Flanno is going to build the forward pack from within through the likes of Viliami Fifta, Alec Tuitavake and the Couchman twins, which is highlighted by the fact that he is bringing them in early for pre-season training. The fact is, our forward pack isn't all that bad as we've seen them compete against the top 8 teams towards the back end of the season, its fitness and the hunger to win that's f**ked us and Flanno will bring that as he isn't going to take any bullshit.

With Su'a all but confirmed to leave next year and Koloamatangi re-signing with souths, Flanno's attention will turn to Siua Wong, Sitili Tuponiua, Angus Crichton, Brendan Piakura or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki, if we can get 1 or 2 of these players and either Fifta or Tuitavake kick on then our pack is looking a hell of a lot more dangerous in attack.

Mind you we have three of the most highly touted forwards coming through our SG Ball squad in Jacob Halangahu, Finau Latu, and Loko Pasifiki Tonga, with the ladder already featuring in a couple of NSW Cup games this year. They're all still a year or 2 away from cracking the first grade squad, but when they do expect them to cement a spot in the 17.

Our real problem is the halves, Suli's centre position, Feagia's wing position and fullback. Hunt can f**k off, the way he has been sooking has turned me off him, I get wanting to move closer to family, but you've been signed to do a job, so do what the rest of us have to do and do it. For me Deardon should be our priority to replace him and for 5/8 pending what happens with Amone, f**k knows as Luia and Mam realistically aren't coming our way. Suli does my head in because he is so powerful in attack, but can't defend to save his life, same with Feagia, haven't seen a fella so keen to rush up from his wing, its as if someone called time for last drinks on a Friday night. Wouldn't mind seeing Tamale and Finau filling in for those two. As for fullback, I'd love nothing more for sloan to start killing it as he is full of promise, but lacks in defence and consistency, I feel if he is going to play first grade next year its going to be on the wing, just so he can build his confidence and learn is trade as he is still so young. Lomax isn't the long term answer, but will do the job.
Thanks for the post, Lea.T. Not all of us are as specifically analytical as yourself.

I’m not a Fairweather Dragons supporter insofar as I have supported the Dragons since I remember (54/55 yrs.). I am, unfortunately, a ‘results’ Fairweather supporter. I hate watching any other clubland NRL game when Dragons are going shite. It just reminds me that we can’t compete. My son goes for the tigers. F**K we’ve have a sad household over the past (NRL) 10 years. 2010 was the last time I watched every NRL game. I love to compare the Dragons with other teams when we are hot.

So, there is my confession! Outside of the big NRL names, I know little about other club’s rosters, their abilities nor their contractual availability. I am also, not a NRL coaches' fingernail 😊

Therefore, I like hearing about what are the REALISTIC options combined with good NRL knowledge, especially regarding the Dragons juniors.

Appreciate your considered opinion and optimistic post.

Ieatass

Juniors
Thanks for the post, Lea.T. Not all of us are as specifically analytical as yourself.

I’m not a Fairweather Dragons supporter insofar as I have supported the Dragons since I remember (54/55 yrs.). I am, unfortunately, a ‘results’ Fairweather supporter. I hate watching any other clubland NRL game when Dragons are going shite. It just reminds me that we can’t compete. My son goes for the tigers. F**K we’ve have a sad household over the past (NRL) 10 years. 2010 was the last time I watched every NRL game. I love to compare the Dragons with other teams when we are hot.

So, there is my confession! Outside of the big NRL names, I know little about other club’s rosters, their abilities nor their contractual availability. I am also, not a NRL coaches' fingernail 😊

Therefore, I like hearing about what are the REALISTIC options combined with good NRL knowledge, especially regarding the Dragons juniors.

Appreciate your considered opinion and optimistic post.
I'm no guru, just love my footy. At least you have some bragging rights over your son, it's a lot more than what the rest of us have hahahaha. Hope the dragons pick up there game so you can watch a couple more games next year.

Budpower

Juniors
haven't heard anything from deano since he has been back if indeed he is back at this point in time, would be ok with me if he brings dearden with him.
yes im hoping he can cajole both Dearden and Luciano! booom...then with Luai signed if were lucky well have the best halves combo since Goldie/ Mundine in Deardon/ Luai

56to66

Juniors
Ease up big horse, the whole point of following a sports team is having hope for success and sharing thoughts. May as well sit down with the missus and watch the bachelorette if you don't feel the same
Yeah no worries BRA, when getting lapped by teams like the Warriors, Scumulla, Donkeys and losing 50 close games, you can watch the bachelorette, I'll watch knockout reels of the greatest boxers.
This teams has no idea how to win games, I'd rather go searching for premiership winning players!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I loved Gal's passion, but I hate Hunt as much anyone (and more) and he has never attracted players who want to play with him and win a comp together.
Except if they were from the Broncos like McCullough, Maguire, Moga, etc. Which shows how much of a say Hunt has had in retention not only in players but I dare say coach in the past and for him to kick stones at how bad the club is shocking. I don't believe any of the dialogue about him being angry because of the players they are looking to bring in which but more about the players they let go in Maguire, McCullough and Hook being the last straw. He probably hates the club because they tapped these guys on the shoulder without his consent, and is now dragging the club through the mud. I am sure we will all be glad to see the back of him, unless he has a cracker of a 2024 and somehow wins us a comp which I doubt. One thing for sure, Flanno won't keep picking him if he shows a lack of interest like Norman did and was continually picked over Bud and the rest is history.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am looking forward to seeing more of Tamale. Isn't that some sort of mexican dish. He sounds very promising.

I am also hearing a lot about this greek dude Tsigouris or something like that. He must be pretty decent in the forwards. How long is he away from cracking a spot in first grade. I would love to see a greek boy playing for the Dragons seeing I am of greek descent.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
I am looking forward to seeing more of Tamale. Isn't that some sort of mexican dish. He sounds very promising.

I am also hearing a lot about this greek dude Tsigouris or something like that. He must be pretty decent in the forwards. How long is he away from cracking a spot in first grade. I would love to see a greek boy playing for the Dragons seeing I am of greek descent.
Side note Slippery. St George was also of Greek descent!

BLM01

First Grade
Pyes im hoping he can cajole both Dearden and Luciano! booom...then with Luai signed if were lucky well have the best halves combo since Goldie/ Mundine in Deardon/ Luai
No to Leilua. Cowboys can keep him as is lazy at times
Good attacker but there is a reason is not on the list of better edge back rowers talked about today.
In the Cowboys side at full strength he rates 4th behind their 2 guns + that big Fine? guy coming through IMO
Not worth the money his manager would demand
Yes to Tom or Jerome

Slippery Morris

First Grade
No to Leilua because he is lazy? I am pretty sure Andrew Fafita was considered lazy at the Tigers before he went to the Sharks. He turned out OK. If Saints get players like Leilua under Hook it would be a disaster as they would continue to be lazy or even decline further, but Flanno, he actually gets the best out of the players not worse. Look at the Sharks team that won the comp. A lot of players in the GF team that were unwanted like Lewis, Barba. Ennis, Prior etc.

This is why I feel Saints under Flanno will do better than most people think and he will be better than any buy the other teams like the Tigers and Dogs make. If Flanno can improve the current team even by 20% that will make a huge difference and give us more wins to smile about. I would put Webster as the best buy in 2023 as what he did to the Warriors is phenomenal. If I was a Warriors fan I would have been on such a high all season seeing them play like they did with not many new players.

Dragon David

First Grade
No to Leilua because he is lazy? I am pretty sure Andrew Fafita was considered lazy at the Tigers before he went to the Sharks. He turned out OK. If Saints get players like Leilua under Hook it would be a disaster as they would continue to be lazy or even decline further, but Flanno, he actually gets the best out of the players not worse. Look at the Sharks team that won the comp. A lot of players in the GF team that were unwanted like Lewis, Barba. Ennis, Prior etc.

This is why I feel Saints under Flanno will do better than most people think and he will be better than any buy the other teams like the Tigers and Dogs make. If Flanno can improve the current team even by 20% that will make a huge difference and give us more wins to smile about. I would put Webster as the best buy in 2023 as what he did to the Warriors is phenomenal. If I was a Warriors fan I would have been on such a high all season seeing them play like they did with not many new players.
Warriors head coach Andrew Webster has had his contract extended by three years to the end of the 2028 NRL season. The deal means the 41-year-old 2023 Dally M Coach of the Year is now set to equal the longest coaching tenure in the club's history - six seasons.

I am hoping that Webster can get the Warriors to win a premiership. He knows his trade and the players believe in him.

I am also hoping of course that Flanno can get the Dragons to win a premiership or two. He also knows his trade and I feel confident that the players he will have in the next few years will believe in him.

TheRev

First Grade
o He may have meant Luai, given it was a halves discussion, but Luciano seems a possibility.. sort of reminds me of Suli.

o Tamale is rly exciting... but.. he has to get considerably better with his defence or that footwork will mean nothing.. thats no guarantee, but hes young and with Flanno up top.. really hopeful.. but I think it would be ugly if he was expected to start 1st grade immediately through an injury etc.

o And yah how good if Young has some mates to bring with him =)

BLM01

First Grade

I agree Flanno will get the best out of players with discipline
I also think Payton does too or at least he has got the best out of Leilua
But i still don’t rate him for the money he will demand, he is a liability without the ball

Nutz

Bench
A good start would be to get the team to be the fittest in the competition.
I totally agree with this. It's no fluke that the best teams have the fittest, biggest, strongest, fastest players.
I remember my first game of rep football was partnering a Wallaby winger named Peter Grigg. After our team training finished he called me back and said let's do some shuttle runs. I thought he was joking but an hour later he picked me up off the ground and said lets go and hit the weights..geez! He was the first player I'd played with who was so physically strong and fast.
He was the best winger at the time because of his willingness to do extras and do it hard.
Saints will improve under this coach, he's a hard arse and will push his boys. However he also works well with the young fellas as shown with his success at the sharkies.

Latest posts