What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

Parko1310

Juniors
curran has apparantly had a talk to gus , wouldnt it be great to know what flanno is after so we dont speculate over every available player
Depends if you'd rather the club leaks that have plagued us over the last few years to come to a stop or not. I think I'd rather that, as long as we do actually secure some good talent, which remains to be seen. The leaks need to stop though

BLM01

First Grade
So every other team is bolstering their rosters by adding new players. Meanwhile the dragons big signing so far is a fringe first grader from Souffs. We had one of the weakest rosters last year and we aren’t signing anyone of note just yet. Ok…I have to admit. I’m panicking
Never fear Tigers are still here
Their roster is worse than last year if that is any solace

curran has apparantly had a talk to gus , wouldnt it be great to know what flanno is after so we dont speculate over every available player
Good old Gus. Would not surprise me if some of the leaks out of the kennel came via him.
Thought they were supposed to be signing Mann and Hutchison??
I still think Drew has something to offer as a utility player, and I would be happy to see him come home and pull on the big Red V once more.

st.phil

Bench
Flanno dropped the ball by letting/pushing sullivan out before the amone court decision. If he's fair dinkim about the dragons culture then he'll either push Amone out of the club or play him in reserve grade. A line needs to be drawn, otherwise our culture will continue to be in the shitter. Don't even get me started on the horrible handling & media play out of the Hunt situation. It's been disastrous...
Why not let things play out before getting your knickers in a knot, pre season ain’t even kicked off yet

56to66

Juniors
I reckon there's some Sharks fan here, waiting for the opportunity for a Hynes/Luai halves combo.
St George don't miss this opportunity to have a Hunt/Luai combo.
Every time St George have had a decent half and 5/8 combo they have done really well.
Choc and Barrett GF ( Should have been Premiers)
Widdop and Hunt Major Semi
Luai and Hunt----> Semi finals.
Hornby and Soward Premiers!

56to66

Juniors
Wow, we desperately need forwards however, all the talk is about backs. Fullback and the halves are a problem but our need for a tough tackling forward pack would have to be the priority
Ok so who is available in the forwards?this year we can buy a 3 time premiership winning back, next year we can buy a premiership winning forward.
Omg, I cannot believe this a St George forum, this is why we have been disgusting for 12 years, disgusting opinions!
Do people understand if you sleep with idiots you will attract idiots, if you sleep with politicians you will attract fleas( same with Raymond on talk back Radio), winners, wealthy and successful people will always attract the same.
St George went down the path in developing there own spine Sloan, Sullivan and Amone, what happened was a disaster, great effort, honourable vision, no cigar.
The Roosters have always approached a successful path, whether it's to buy or breed, many here a delusional thinking breeding and cheap is the way.
Winning is taking whatever route is best.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Ok so who is available in the forwards?this year we can buy a 3 time premiership winning back, next year we can buy a premiership winning forward.
Omg, I cannot believe this a St George forum, this is why we have been disgusting for 12 years, disgusting opinions!
Do people understand if you sleep with idiots you will attract idiots, if you sleep with politicians you will attract fleas( same with Raymond on talk back Radio), winners, wealthy and successful people will always attract the same.
St George went down the path in developing there own spine Sloan, Sullivan and Amone, what happened was a disaster, great effort, honourable vision, no cigar.
The Roosters have always approached a successful path, whether it's to buy or breed, many here a delusional thinking breeding and cheap is the way.
Whilst I do agree with you, this is a opinion forum, everybody is entitled to theirs, totally understand your frustration but maybe calling others opinions disgusting is a bit harsh. Deep down I really think everyone wants the best for the club. Its just a very difficult road right know.

blacksafake

First Grade
Raymond 😂

I will always hope that Flanno does well.
It's a bit of a turmoil in my mind with you guys but in the end I really do hope the best he can do.
There is one thing that he had with the Sharks that he does not have with your team.
He needs a "Paul Gallen".
Hate Gal as much as you want, without him the recruitment that occurred during Flannos time at the Sharks would not have happened.
Flanno knows he has to recruit someone first and foremost whom others will want to play with and win a comp.
That is how he will be looking to restructure your team.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I might be shouted down but I went to 3 games and watched Paul Turner, IMO he has some talent but was carrying weight and wasn’t fully fit.
IN my opinion, fitness is a major factor in the poor performance of our squad over the past few years. Just look at Ford and the big motor he is now showing over at the Warriors. Don't be surprised if you find yourself changing your opinion about some of our players in 2024. Dlanno will have the whole squad much fitter than last year.

TheRev

First Grade
I might be shouted down but I went to 3 games and watched Paul Turner, IMO he has some talent but was carrying weight and wasn’t fully fit.
He has a bit of Latrell in him.. natural talent, but poor endurance, has a few moments on the highlight reels due to his footwork, but plenty of dour ones too.. if it was legit that injury led to him carrying extra weight.. then great.. but he's been through a few clubs now.. and I suspect its an effort thing, and that's why we let him go.

note that I didnt like him being selected this year either.. just because hes in the 30 and has priority.. cause hes taking a development spot in the NSW Cup spine.. id rather Herring play for example, even though he has no contract.. cause I think he's still a chance of coming good.

Never fear Tigers are still here
Their roster is worse than last year if that is any solace
I realise that the history of success in the club is in the deep past as good as it was. To restore the history of that success, planning has to start immediately, good recruitment, developing juniors, top coaching which may be in the pipeline. Club management (Board) seems to be on factor for non performance.The quality of the current squad is below par, apart from a couple of exceptions. A good start would be to get the team to be the fittest in the competition.

justadragon

Bench
View attachment 81019

NRL 2024: Dragons coach Shane Flanagan insists St George-Illawarra won’t ‘panic buy’ to fix halves crisis​

While fans and commentators have voiced their concerns over the Dragons’ halves depth after the loss of Junior Amone, new coach Shane Flanagan has called for calm.
David Riccio David RiccioExclusive
@DaveRic1

2 min read
October 22, 2023 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://archive.md/JPZMl#share-tools
d9d3f1bee08fa6f9a12b256cff496db413d5be2a.jpg

NRL: The Haka from New Zealand side was headlined from two of the league's most damaging props facing off in a gruelling stare down.
Shane Flanagan says he won’t be pressured into “panic buying” in reaction to the Dragons standing down starting half Junior Amone.
Amid concern from fans and commentators over the depth of options in the halves, the St George-Illawarra coach offered a measured response when discussing his 2024 roster.
“I’ve stated previously that we’ll be one of the more active clubs talking to players as soon as we hit November 1,’’ Flanagan said. “We’ve (management) worked hard to get our salary cap into a position where we can be active and that remains the plan.
“That’s not to say we won’t be in the market to sign a player for 2024.
“But what I’m not going to do is panic buy in reaction to ifs and maybes or uncertainty over a player.’’
Shane Flanagan insists the Dragons won’t panic as their halves depth took a massive hit after losing five-eighth Junior Amone. Picture: Julian Andrews

Shane Flanagan insists the Dragons won’t panic as their halves depth took a massive hit after losing five-eighth Junior Amone. Picture: Julian Andrews
Out of respect to the judicial process, Flanagan wouldn’t discuss anything to do with Amone’s court case.
Amone was found guilty last Tuesday of arming himself with a hammer and chasing a tradesman off a roof.
Amone, who had pleaded not guilty to assault charges, will be sentenced on December 6 and faces a maximum penalty of seven years in jail.
The shock verdict has led many to question the Dragons’ capabilities in 2024’ and in-turn led to calls for Saints to make a multimillion-dollar play for Panthers premiership-winning playmaker Jarome Luai.
The Amone situation is viewed as a disaster by some fans, particularly in the wake of half Jayden Sullivan being released to the Wests Tigers.
Junior Amone was stood down after being found guilty of chasing a tradie off a roof as he wielded a hammer. Picture: NCA Newswire

Junior Amone was stood down after being found guilty of chasing a tradie off a roof as he wielded a hammer. Picture: NCA Newswire
The most obvious halves pairing for 2024 is veteran Ben Hunt and new recruit Kyle Flanagan, with Jack Bird a third option to play at five-eighth.
Flanagan said he wouldn’t be drawn on potential targets.
However, he confirmed he’s been inundated with calls from managers with halves on their books, but said it was important the club remained steadfast on the long-term vision.

Who Dragons could target to fix halves hole​

Tim Dearden
There is a feeling within the game that the Queensland Origin and Cowboys playmaker is set to reject a multi-million dollar offer to extend his stay in North Queensland by taking himself to the open market on November 1. Still just 22, Dearden would be a plumb signing for Saints in 2025.
Jarome Luai
Saints could easily trump Penrith financially to try and lure the three-time premiership winner in 2025. The Panthers are going to struggle to go beyond $800,000. The Dragons could get to $1.2 million need be.
Connor Tracey
The Sharks utility is a former Australian Schoolboys half who was also previously coached by Shane Flanagan at Cronulla. The Dragons want Tracey as a potential fullback, but suddenly he could also solve a problem for them in the halves.
Tyson Gamble
The livewire Newcastle half (pictured) is off-contract at the end of next season and is yet to re-sign, suggesting he will go to the open market on November 1. What the Dragons could offer Gamble is what the Knights may struggle to; the certainty of being a first-choice half with Jackson Hastings, Jack Cogger and Phoenix Crossland all Knights options as well in the No.6 and No.7 jumpers.
Matt Moylan
Shane Flanagan originally recruited the veteran five-eighth from Penrith and enjoyed success together with Moylan helping drive Cronulla to the 2018 preliminary final. Without a contract beyond 2024, Moylan could potentially secure a release from the Sharks and add attacking ability and experience to the Dragons next season.

“I want to take the club on a certain trajectory and to do that, it can’t be achieved by reactive buying,’’ Flanagan said. “There’s a strategy and patience involved in that process.
“We’ve seen what can happen at a number of clubs, including ours, when you buy a player, and keeping in mind managers never want to give their player to you for one-year, it’s always two or three years … so it can hurt you in the long run if you buy a player long-term just to fix a short-term problem.
“As I said, we’re working 24/7 on our current roster, while also knowing every player available from November 1. We’re not rushing anything.’’
Flanagan‘s first day back as a head coach will be on November 6.
“I honestly can’t wait,’’ Flanagan said. “That first day back will be a lot of our promising youth players before the majority of our NRL roster begins on November 13.”

Reactive buying , we know how that works out, thank Norey Corman.
If that was Flanno's response, I agree whole heartedly, let Flanno do his job, we said we would trust him and trust him I will. Even if he manages to sign no one, yes I'll be disappointed, but you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I would rather focus on our juniors and go all in for 2025 with the proper buys available, not has been rejects.

Latest posts