What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

Dea

Juniors
If that was Flanno's response, I agree whole heartedly, let Flanno do his job, we said we would trust him and trust him I will. Even if he manages to sign no one, yes I'll be disappointed, but you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I would rather focus on our juniors and go all in for 2025 with the proper buys available, not has been rejects.
I’m with you Justa. There are not the players available for 2024, and the club admin stuffed us up with their coaching choice of Hook. I am not sure that 2024 will see us get into the 8, but I am expecting improvement across the park in fitness, attitude and game plane. 2025 is the year for the import of new players to hopefully take us toward the top 4. We are not a quick turn around club and I don’t want any more panic bought Normans.

Parko1310

Juniors
I agree we don't want any Norman like players, but Flanno you should have a shot at Josh Curran. Don't let the Bulldogs pick him up.
For all we know, he could be chatting to him. It keeps being stated we're talking to a lot of players, but names aren't mentioned. I assume leaks stopping is the reason for this. I'd be shocked if we're not in for Josh Curran

Crush

Coach
For all we know, he could be chatting to him. It keeps being stated we're talking to a lot of players, but names aren't mentioned. I assume leaks stopping is the reason for this. I'd be shocked if we're not in for Josh Curran
Lots of names being thrown around like Luai, Paps, there's no chance we sign those guys, we'd have to pay huge overs and Flanno isnt going to destroy the cap.
Best case scenario we get Tracey and Curran. That would be a great start for Flanno.

jak

Bench
Still thinking Flannos prime target signing is Souths Koloamatangi...
We need at least one mean ass forward to give us a bit of sting in the pack..
Tracey is a given and possibly Meaney over Paps
Would be surprised if Deano hasnt brought at least 1 Cowboy with him
Nov 1 fast approaching
haven't heard anything from deano since he has been back if indeed he is back at this point in time, would be ok with me if he brings dearden with him.

Dragon David

First Grade
haven't heard anything from deano since he has been back if indeed he is back at this point in time, would be ok with me if he brings dearden with him.
Like Flanno, who is reported to be in WA, Deano and Carr are most probably on leave and so business is via phone/emails until they can get together for group photos at the end of this month or start of November.

The three of them no doubt have had plenty to discuss and put a few things in place to get done starting with pre-season training and morale building.

I hope our media/communications guy is back and getting ready with all and sundry to letting us fans know what lies ahead.

Ieatass

Juniors
I don't see us making any major signs for 2024, as others have pointed out we'll probably get Tracey and Curran, unless the dogs offer Curran more dollars, which will be great, because I don't think Curran is the type of player we should be focusing on. Yes he is decent, but how many more players do we need that have had off field issues. Flanno is going to build the forward pack from within through the likes of Viliami Fifta, Alec Tuitavake and the Couchman twins, which is highlighted by the fact that he is bringing them in early for pre-season training. The fact is, our forward pack isn't all that bad as we've seen them compete against the top 8 teams towards the back end of the season, its fitness and the hunger to win that's f**ked us and Flanno will bring that as he isn't going to take any bullshit.

With Su'a all but confirmed to leave next year and Koloamatangi re-signing with souths, Flanno's attention will turn to Siua Wong, Sitili Tuponiua, Angus Crichton, Brendan Piakura or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki, if we can get 1 or 2 of these players and either Fifta or Tuitavake kick on then our pack is looking a hell of a lot more dangerous in attack.

Mind you we have three of the most highly touted forwards coming through our SG Ball squad in Jacob Halangahu, Finau Latu, and Loko Pasifiki Tonga, with the ladder already featuring in a couple of NSW Cup games this year. They're all still a year or 2 away from cracking the first grade squad, but when they do expect them to cement a spot in the 17.

Our real problem is the halves, Suli's centre position, Feagia's wing position and fullback. Hunt can f**k off, the way he has been sooking has turned me off him, I get wanting to move closer to family, but you've been signed to do a job, so do what the rest of us have to do and do it. For me Deardon should be our priority to replace him and for 5/8 pending what happens with Amone, f**k knows as Luia and Mam realistically aren't coming our way. Suli does my head in because he is so powerful in attack, but can't defend to save his life, same with Feagia, haven't seen a fella so keen to rush up from his wing, its as if someone called time for last drinks on a Friday night. Wouldn't mind seeing Tamale and Finau filling in for those two. As for fullback, I'd love nothing more for sloan to start killing it as he is full of promise, but lacks in defence and consistency, I feel if he is going to play first grade next year its going to be on the wing, just so he can build his confidence and learn is trade as he is still so young. Lomax isn't the long term answer, but will do the job.

Rod Coil

Juniors
I don't see us making any major signs for 2024, as others have pointed out we'll probably get Tracey and Curran, unless the dogs offer Curran more dollars, which will be great, because I don't think Curran is the type of player we should be focusing on. Yes he is decent, but how many more players do we need that have had off field issues. Flanno is going to build the forward pack from within through the likes of Viliami Fifta, Alec Tuitavake and the Couchman twins, which is highlighted by the fact that he is bringing them in early for pre-season training. The fact is, our forward pack isn't all that bad as we've seen them compete against the top 8 teams towards the back end of the season, its fitness and the hunger to win that's f**ked us and Flanno will bring that as he isn't going to take any bullshit.

With Su'a all but confirmed to leave next year and Koloamatangi re-signing with souths, Flanno's attention will turn to Siua Wong, Sitili Tuponiua, Angus Crichton, Brendan Piakura or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki, if we can get 1 or 2 of these players and either Fifta or Tuitavake kick on then our pack is looking a hell of a lot more dangerous in attack.

Mind you we have three of the most highly touted forwards coming through our SG Ball squad in Jacob Halangahu, Finau Latu, and Loko Pasifiki Tonga, with the ladder already featuring in a couple of NSW Cup games this year. They're all still a year or 2 away from cracking the first grade squad, but when they do expect them to cement a spot in the 17.

Our real problem is the halves, Suli's centre position, Feagia's wing position and fullback. Hunt can f**k off, the way he has been sooking has turned me off him, I get wanting to move closer to family, but you've been signed to do a job, so do what the rest of us have to do and do it. For me Deardon should be our priority to replace him and for 5/8 pending what happens with Amone, f**k knows as Luia and Mam realistically aren't coming our way. Suli does my head in because he is so powerful in attack, but can't defend to save his life, same with Feagia, haven't seen a fella so keen to rush up from his wing, its as if someone called time for last drinks on a Friday night. Wouldn't mind seeing Tamale and Finau filling in for those two. As for fullback, I'd love nothing more for sloan to start killing it as he is full of promise, but lacks in defence and consistency, I feel if he is going to play first grade next year its going to be on the wing, just so he can build his confidence and learn is trade as he is still so young. Lomax isn't the long term answer, but will do the job.
Great post - right on the money

SAP58

Juniors

Good post we are also forgetting Josh Coric he would have played FG this year if he didn’t get a season ending injury ACL against St Helens. A very good prop with enormous potential, Flanno will be smart with his signings not like our past coaches.

TheRev

First Grade
If we can actually sign Curran from under the dogs noses.. that will very much impress me.. can promise our offer will be higher dollars, but I reckon we went after most of the guys they already signed in 2023... lost em all.

Paps is a bit different, he's borderline medical retirement.. its nothing like Luai/Mam/Deardens situation.

Ieatass

Juniors
Good post we are also forgetting Josh Coric he would have played FG this year if he didn’t get a season ending injury ACL against St Helens. A very good prop with enormous potential, Flanno will be smart with his signings not like our past coaches.
Unfortunately I don't think Coric will be in Flanno's plans, which is shit because the big fella hasn't been given a proper crack and has been let down by his body. He trucks nut and does the hard work, very much like Lawrie, but he has probably slipped to the bottom of the pecking order. If he is to get a crack, he his going to need to put in a massive pre-season and go hard in the opening rounds of the NSW Cup.

I agree with you that Flanno is going to make the right decisions around roster management though, looking forward to putting the Mbye, Turner, Woods, McCullough type signings behind us

Ieatass

Juniors
Great posts, yawn, I don't believe this is a St George forum.
Its the ward of insanity, thinking the same ideology over the last 12 years expecting, new and exciting results.
FMD I hope Flanno doesn't read these post!
Ease up big horse, the whole point of following a sports team is having hope for success and sharing thoughts. May as well sit down with the missus and watch the bachelorette if you don't feel the same

I will always hope that Flanno does well.
It's a bit of a turmoil in my mind with you guys but in the end I really do hope the best he can do.
There is one thing that he had with the Sharks that he does not have with your team.
He needs a "Paul Gallen".
Hate Gal as much as you want, without him the recruitment that occurred during Flannos time at the Sharks would not have happened.
Flanno knows he has to recruit someone first and foremost whom others will want to play with and win a comp.
That is how he will be looking to restructure your team.
I loved Gal's passion, but I hate Hunt as much anyone (and more) and he has never attracted players who want to play with him and win a comp together. But, to him, even though he's considered a marquee player, it's all the club's fault!
Shame Flanno has to recruit based on compensating for our marquee player's inability!

Latest posts