What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

The Realist

Juniors
What I noticed with Gus, especially towards his end time at Penrith. Gus had a habit of falling deeply in love with a player, and at times overpaying for said player.

Then after the first blush of love and lust recedes, he falls out of love with said player.

So it's emotional roller coaster. That's not great when it comes to stability and forward movement of players within an administration.

Merrin, along with RCG, Blake were good examples of this.

Also his tendency to meddle into the coaching field. Happened here at Penrith in later years, happened at the dogs, and will continue to happen.

The Merrin effect appears to be happening with Fox.

(this is just my personal opinion)

I believe clubs work better when less emotion is involved.

Good post. When he was 'in love' with a player he'd also tend to throw them on long contracts as others have said, before they were proven or consistent. That most of those players tended to have attitude/character flaws also seemed to have been overlooked by Gus who mostly focused on raw talent.

This is really where Ivan and Gus really clashed. Gus as a coach felt that as long as the talent was there - that a good coach could mentor or mold them. He was well known for doing that and Bennett is also another example of a coach who could motivate as well as 'reform' players.

Ivan is very different. He is attitude first. If the attitude of a player stinks, it doesn't matter how talented they are - get them out before the rotten apple infects the rest of the bunch. Prime examples are DWZ and RCG.

As long as the player has got a good attitude and is competent, Ivan feels that he can fit that player into the system and develop the skills that are required in the role. Prime Examples are Edwards and Kenny.

Good post. When he was 'in love' with a player he'd also tend to throw them on long contracts as others have said, before they were proven or consistent. That most of those players tended to have attitude/character flaws also seemed to have been overlooked by Gus who mostly focused on raw talent.

This is really where Ivan and Gus really clashed. Gus as a coach felt that as long as the talent was there - that a good coach could mentor or mold them. He was well known for doing that and Bennett is also another example of a coach who could motivate as well as 'reform' players.

Ivan is very different. He is attitude first. If the attitude of a player stinks, it doesn't matter how talented they are - get them out before the rotten apple infects the rest of the bunch. Prime examples are DWZ and RCG.

As long as the player has got a good attitude and is competent, Ivan feels that he can fit that player into the system and develop the skills that are required in the role. Prime Examples are Edwards and Kenny.
My memory is failing me, what did DWZ do wrong?

soc123_au

Staff member
DWZ was horrible in the ruck after getting tackled on kick returns.

Would either drop the ball or try to grub it up against the markers and give away penalties.

Happened quite alot.
The bolded was so frustrating. I am still a DWZ fan, but was happy to see him leave pretty much on that alone. Glad to see he seems to be past that crap now at least.

tonks

Juniors
DWZ was horrible in the ruck after getting tackled on kick returns.

Would either drop the ball or try to grub it up against the markers and give away penalties.

Happened quite alot.
he's also slow as a wet week.. looks fast to the naked eye but looks can be deceiving. watching him get run down time and time again just hammers in the reality of the situation :smiley:

murraymob

Coach
Multiple people on the Wests tigers forum claim to have mail luai will be a tiger next season.
He may sign for the tigers but will not get a release the club have already come out and said that and given Burton never got one luia is no chance

Latest posts