What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE NRL DON'T FOLLOW US BRITS WITH THIS.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Soccer will ban headers and short kids will get owned in Basketball.

The only way to truly be safe is not leave the house
strawman. Banning headers wont change soccer, basketball height only a big issue at teen age.

Parents want their kids outside playing, most like their kids playing sport. But there is a plethora of choices for kids sport these days.
Picking one that is perceived as less damaging, especially when we are talking brain damaging many would say is a parents responsibility.
We need some campaigns about how safe jnr RL is based on evidence, not to be diluting the very things why kids love to play RL.

Iamback

Coach
It does indeed, but parent's will generally accept the risk a sprained ankle over a brain injury for their child.

Thats part of RL's problem, the perception has been created by professional experiences in the media that it is a dangerous game to play that can cause a terminal illness in later life. The game has done a terrible job getting on the front foot to counteract that perception.

The world is full of idiots who make decisions based on perception over evidence.

Correct. That is what touch or Oztag is for which schools now play and parents can see how safe it is

It is possible to watch grownups play sport on a higher level than 95% of us can do and have kids sport watered down

Chins get the wins

First Grade
strawman. Banning headers wont change soccer, basketball height only a big issue at teen age.

Parents want their kids outside playing, most like their kids playing sport. But there is a plethora of choices for kids sport these days.
Picking one that is perceived as less damaging, especially when we are talking brain damaging many would say is a parents responsibility.
We need some campaigns about how safe jnr RL is based on evidence, not to be diluting the very things why kids love to play RL.
Lol banning headers completely changes soccer. Come on you silly Pom

Iamback

Coach

So how do you do a corner if players can't use their heads?

So you'd need to look at that, the height of kicks also

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
From today's smh.

It has been trialed in Rugby. I was reported NRL was looking at it

Rubbish. The only part that mentions waist-high is it saying Seibold said union trialled it unsuccessfully. Where it says "the law changes should be keenly monitored by the NRL" it's directly after talking about the change being to below the armpits. There is not a single part of that article that suggests the NRL are looking at banning tackles above the waist.

Maximus

Coach
without trying to sound condescending here, perhaps you might like to consider the future. All journeys begin with a step.

First tackling above a certain part of the body, then not allowing your opponent to hit the ground too hard, or allowing them to fall a certain way, or perhaps tackle too hard and cause whiplash .....and on it goes.

Short answer YES the trajectory is certainly to non body contact sports.

I see a future where heading the soccer ball is not permitted, and most body contact sport forbidden. Boxing will be an early casualty.

Unfortunately a part of living is injury and death. That's just the way it is. Dont like it play a computer game.

Oh you're one of those slippery slope nutjobs.

No the trajectory is not leading towards the NRL being touch football. Why do you guys so desperately want players to be able to hit opponents in the head?

Oh you're one of those slippery slope nutjobs.

No the trajectory is not leading towards the NRL being touch football. Why do you guys so desperately want players to be able to hit opponents in the head?
where did I say that? Obviously reading and comprehension was not one of your strong suits at high school.

Lemme guess covid was a hoax yeh? vaccines are bad for you ? am I getting warm? were you on video fighting over toilet paper by any chance?

Iamback

Coach
Rubbish. The only part that mentions waist-high is it saying Seibold said union trialled it unsuccessfully. Where it says "the law changes should be keenly monitored by the NRL" it's directly after talking about the change being to below the armpits. There is not a single part of that article that suggests the NRL are looking at banning tackles above the waist.

Who advised Rugby to ban tackles above the waist? Alot of these people are hired by the same sport.

On to these rules

You don't see any issue with players putting their heads where the ball carriers are holding the ball?

The rules alone make no sense. You need to limit the speed of the contact OR need to limit ball carriers movements.

It takes a defender to think the ball carrier is going to step left and he goes right for an elbow to the head... this was the reasoning for making under the ball as the contact point

Soccer will ban headers and short kids will get owned in Basketball.

The only way to truly be safe is not leave the house
The Murdoch empire was built on playing to the sympathetic nervous systems fight or flight mechanism. Not an ounce of critical thinking required - all fear.

If all sport were to be banned tomorrow they would turn to the effects of video games on child brain development, how listening to music causes deafness, fire re tardant chemicals in household products found to be carcinogenic, so on and so forth.

The fear doesnt end ....it is what keeps the population fearful and conservative........and keeps them voting against their own best interests.....keeping the status quo.

Iamback

Coach
The Murdoch empire was built on playing to the sympathetic nervous systems fight or flight mechanism. Not an ounce of critical thinking required - all fear.

If all sport were to be banned tomorrow they would turn to the effects of video games on child brain development, how listening to music causes deafness, fire re tardant chemicals in household products found to be carcinogenic, so on and so forth.

The fear doesnt end ....it is what keeps the population fearful and conservative........and keeps them voting against their own best interests.....keeping the status quo.

No sugar will be next to be targeted

You can make things as safe as possible but in the end accidents will happen

Dark Corner

Juniors
The biggest issue that needs to be addressed for retired players is depression

they get treated like rock stars and have a team environment then once they retire it’s hard to adapt back into a normal life

the number of players that have or have tried to commit suicide is alarming

the nrl is getting the best legal advice it can re cte and it’s been at the front of leading change

the issue with nfl was helmet on helmet collision

union would have problems with contested scrums and mauls and rucks
I find it strange how Union knows the issues CTE yet still has contested scrums. mauls and rucks...watched the Sale play Stade game yesterday and was great mid body tackles but a lot if the tackles were armpit and a little above and the ref hardly blew the whistle ( which was a shock for Union) and let the game flow.
Nick Schonert went for a low thigh tackle and was injured from it and the amount of heads and shoulders nearly smashing.connecting together in the scrum, ruck and maul without the ref's interruption mae it a decent game.

The Great Dane

First Grade
He won't answer that part because it doesn't suit his argument.

I am happy for sports as a whole to make themselves safe BUT they can only do so much
I don't understand the point of answering it because it's totally irrelevant.

We all know substance abuse has all sort of negative health impacts, right up to being fatal, but it cannot cause CTE in of it's self. In other words, you can drink all the alcohol and take all the drugs you like, it'll eventually kill you in half a dozen ways, but it won't cause you to spontaneously develop CTE.
The average age an NFL player lives to is 50 due to the drugs they use.

Again I ask you, That has no part in these issues?
It's significantly more likely that CTE is a factor in their substance abuse problems.

I don't know what to think of it myself, but a lot of experts have hypnotised that there could be a link between the rate of CTE in the NFL player population and heightened rates of substance abuse and violent behaviour.

Brain damage of that severity can have any number of serious side effects, like radical personality changes, loss of inhibition, a propensity towards risky behaviour, mood swings, manic behaviour, psychosis, all manner of different metal health conditions, etc, etc. That's not to mention sufferers regularly attempt to self medicate.

Wb1234

Referee
So you want to make it less free flowing by taking more space away. Before we know if we have the HIA Categories correct or the stand down period long enough?
Better quality of attack vs dummy half scoots

under five metres you have to earn territory

I don’t know if it would work but five metre football was superior imo

Wb1234

Referee
Rfu and rfl face significant class actions

afl too

we’ve been lucky so far the ambulance chasers haven’t taken hold here

I really hope the nrl don’t stuff things up by going overboard

there will always be a place for Contact sports in the world

Iamback

Coach
I don't understand the point of answering it because it's totally irrelevant.

We all know substance abuse has all sort of negative health impacts, right up to being fatal, but it cannot cause CTE in of it's self. In other words, you can drink all the alcohol and take all the drugs you like, it'll eventually kill you in half a dozen ways, but it won't cause you to spontaneously develop CTE.

It's significantly more likely that CTE is a factor in their substance abuse problems.

I don't know what to think of it myself, but a lot of experts have hypnotised that there could be a link between the rate of CTE in the NFL player population and heightened rates of substance abuse and violent behaviour.

Brain damage of that severity can have any number of serious side effects, like radical personality changes, loss of inhibition, a propensity towards risky behaviour, mood swings, manic behaviour, psychosis, all manner of different metal health conditions, etc, etc. That's not to mention sufferers regularly attempt to self medicate.

Players now are told not to drink if you are injured, That wasn't always the case. Any old school player has many stories being belted on the field then going out and getting blind drunk.

So not only were players called soft for going off and likely had multiple head knocks a day but would compound that by adding booze and possibly drugs to the mix.

As for those NFL symptoms, It very well could be CTE but they also line up with Roid rage.

That is why seeing how the concussion protocol 's are working by using current data not historical is the measured response

Wb1234

Referee
Ahh yes take me back to zero tries in GF's
Panthers in 91 was under 5 metres

one of the greatest grand finals in history was 89

games were closer that’s for sure

And that tryless grand final was pretty entertaining too

ten metres is too much like touch football

Canard

Immortal
Panthers in 91 was under 5 metres

one of the greatest grand finals in history was 89

games were closer that’s for sure

And that tryless grand final was pretty entertaining too

ten metres is too much like touch football
The refs were getting teams to stand back 10m well before the rule became official.

Unless your eyes are painted on, you will see that 89 and 91 were both played under "10m rule".

Last edited:

Latest posts