What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE NRL DON'T FOLLOW US BRITS WITH THIS.

Wb1234

Referee
1. Banned shoulder charges
2. Banned punching
3 extensive concussion protocols

Jackson Hastings made the point the other day if you cant wrap up the ball and it’s just legs tackles it will just be touch football

rugby league is a collision sport

they’ve already watered it down too much

Iamback

Coach
How far do we need to go at this stage?

We've made huge progress with removing the head hunting thuggery (prior to the mid 90s), we've eliminated repeat concussions on game day and added compulsory stand down periods for recovery. There is great research into creatine supporting brain recovery and neck strength being a vital factor.

I don't think extreme decisions need to be made based on injuries sustained in the 70s to 00s. The current players are in a totally different environment already.

Nailed it.

A measured result is needed

Danish

Referee
We are introducing these rules because we desperately care about your long term health.

now hold still while we complete the 16 pain killing injections into your various joints - some of which we rebuilt using experimental surgeries to shorten your recovery time.

Iamback

Coach
Please, compared to the snot bubblers Qtr backs used to get they are wrapped in cotton wool these days.

There's been massive rule changes around tackling and whats allowed in the NFL. Alongside other rule changes protecting kickers/punters and qtr backs and even centres during Fg/extra point attempts. Changed running starts at kick offs to reduce impact speeds and so it goes on.

Besides you asked:

Alongside 50 odd rule changes they've also changed equipment and protocols/treatment

As opposed to the Rugby codes who have done nothing?

What do they have that the Rugby codes don't have?

Smaller players are still getting smashed by bigger guys.

still with multiple players involved

Wb1234

Referee
How far do we need to go at this stage?

We've made huge progress with removing the head hunting thuggery (prior to the mid 90s), we've eliminated repeat concussions on game day and added compulsory stand down periods for recovery. There is great research into creatine supporting brain recovery and neck strength being a vital factor.

I don't think extreme decisions need to be made based on injuries sustained in the 70s to 00s. The current players are in a totally different environment already.
Excellent post

Iamback

Coach
1. Banned shoulder charges
2. Banned punching
3 extensive concussion protocols

Jackson Hastings made the point the other day if you cant wrap up the ball and it’s just legs tackles it will just be touch football

rugby league is a collision sport

they’ve already watered it down too much

You could get rid of kick offs to make it more safe.

BUT need to see how these changes play out 1st before making massive changes

Perth Red

Post Whore
As opposed to the Rugby codes who have done nothing?

What do they have that the Rugby codes don't have?

Smaller players are still getting smashed by bigger guys.

still with multiple players involved
Eh? No one has said the Rugbys havent done anything.
If they have done enough, that is what the codes are grappling with.

As someone with a racecar I am all for personal responsibility and choice, but Im not employed in sport and I can see from an employers perspective why its happening.

I dont think the RFL's tackling below the armpit will work, I dont think that rule will last long, and I dont think its necessary. Our cynical coaches will have players running bent double making it impossible to tackle them without a penalty!

Maybe its time to go back to 5m and being strict with offsides? It seems the biggest concussion threat is the level of impact when these 110kg plus monsters get a full head of steam up from 10m away.

Wb1234

Referee
You could get rid of kick offs to make it more safe.

BUT need to see how these changes play out 1st before making massive changes
No

what about kicks on last tackle which are similar

concussion protocols are very extensive

nrl needs to grow a set now

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Eh? No one has said the Rugbys havent done anything.
If they have done enough, that is what the codes are grappling with.

As someone with a racecar I am all for personal responsibility and choice, but Im not employed in sport and I can see from an employers perspective why its happening.

I dont think the RFL's tackling below the armpit will work, I dont think that rule will last long, and I dont think its necessary. Our cynical coaches will have players running bent double making it impossible to tackle them without a penalty!

Maybe its time to go back to 5m and being strict with offsides? It seems the biggest concussion threat is the level of impact when these 110kg plus monsters get a full head of steam up from 10m away.
f**k me a 5m rule would destroy the sport. f**k that shit right off

Maximus

Coach
Well after being sued what changes have they made to the sport?

IF Sport was entirely to blame their legal team and doctors would of made changes

Huh? They've made a shitload of changes.

2023​

• Expands Impermissible Use of the Helmet, making it a foul for players to use their helmet to "butt, ram, spear" or make forcible contact to opponents' head or neck area in any way. This builds on the existing Impermissible Use of the Helmet rules which prohibits a player from lowering his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent.

2020​

• Expands defenseless player protection to include a kickoff or punt returner who will now be afforded the same protection as a pass receiver – both before, during, and after the opportunity to receive the kick. The protection extends until he can avoid or ward off impending contact from an opponent.
  • Emphasizes removing certain illegal techniques from line play, such as using the helmet as part of a bull rush, or any block by an offensive lineman that involves initiating contact with the helmet. Game officials will continue to focus on identifying fouls in line play, specifically mobile blocks, cut blocks, and certain pass rush techniques, where initiating contact with the helmet occurs.

2018​

• It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. It is a penalty that will result in the loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified.

2017​

• Gives a receiver running a pass route defenseless player protection.
  • Prohibits crackback blocks by a backfield player who is in motion, even if he is not more than two yards outside the tackle when the ball is snapped.

2015​

• Defenseless player protections are expanded to cover the intended receiver of a pass in the immediate continuing action following an interception.

2013​

• It is illegal for a runner or tackler to initiate forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top or crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box.

2012​

• The list of "defenseless players" is expanded to include defensive players on crackback blocks, making it illegal to hit them in the head or neck area.

2010​

• A player who has just completed a catch is protected from blows to the head or neck by an opponent who launches.
  • All "defenseless players" are protected from blows to the head delivered by an opponent's helmet, forearm or shoulder.
  • Kickers and punters during the kick and return, and quarterbacks after a change of possession, are protected from blows to the head delivered by an opponent's helmet, forearm or shoulder, instead of just helmet-to-helmet contact.
  • The ball is declared dead at the spot if a runner's helmet comes completely off.

2009​

• It is an illegal "blindside" block if the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side, and the initial force of the contact by the blocker's helmet, forearm or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent.
  • It is an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver if the initial force of the contact by the defender's helmet, forearm or shoulder is to the head or neck area of the receiver.

Danish

Referee
Notice that basically all the NFL changes involve protecting contact with the head/helmet, plus the banning of various blindside hits or blocks.

no shoulder charge bans or any such nonsense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Notice that basically all the NFL changes involve protecting contact with the head/helmet, plus the banning of various blindside hits or blocks.

no shoulder charge bans or any such nonsense.
Spear tackles leading with the helmet was the NFL equivalent of a RL shoulder charge.

Danish

Referee
Spear tackles leading with the helmet was the NFL equivalent of a RL shoulder charge.

no, the NFL shoulder charge is the equivalent to the league shoudler charge.

modern league has no equivalent to helmet to helmet hits. Most recent is probably lifting spear tackles used to be legal

Latest posts