What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v West Indies @ Adelaide Oval Jan 17-19, 2024

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Is this current bowling attack better than pidge, dizzy, shane, and kasper?
Mcgrath over Cummins but Cummins definitely over Gillespie
Gillespie = Haze and Starc just and only if both at their best
Warne > Lyon by a country mile
Kaspar - not in the same postcode as the current guys. Hearty performer though.

Warne and Mcgrath would fit into a best ever XI easily, that's why I put the attack of the 2000s above the current lot. Especially if you add Lee.

The rest not in the XI although if Cummins' last few years are of his current standard he's a show.

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Mcgrath just over Cummins but Cummins definitely over Gillespie
Gillespie = Haze and Starc just and only if both at their best
Warne > Lyon by a country mile
Kaspar - not in the same postcode as the current guys. Hearty performer though.

Warne and Mcgrath would fit into a best ever XI easily, that's why I put the attack of the 2000s above the current lot. Especially if you add Lee.

The rest not in the XI although if Cummins' last few years are of his current standard he's a show.
Cummins is in our best ever 3 quicks without a doubt in my mind and that's without taking into account how sexy he is

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its hard to compare past bowlers with current bowlers the current bowlers haven't finished thier career yet and some people will only compare thier stats

the way Cummins is bowling atm, you think he'd be up there at the end of his career

Bazal

Post Whore
Cummins is our best ever quick IMO. McGrath was also legendary and they're different bowlers, so it's a pretty even split and I don't disagree with anyone naming him the GOAT either.

But Cummins is doing this in the era of drop ins and roads and eight lb bats. And he's not a new ball bowler like Pidge was so he doesn't get the best of the pill usually either.

Granted the quality of batting is probably not what McGrath bowled at either. Another reason it's a tough split.

JJ

Immortal
People forgetting Brett Lee was part of that attack, more than Kasper. McGill there too, and Bichel, an other worldly period for Aust like the 70s-80s Windies

all time Strayan attack is quite the discussion…. McGrath, Lillee, Lindwall, Davidson, Cummins, Miller, Warne, O’Reilly, Grimmett etc etc…. Davidson is one that warrants more discussion than he often gets, lefties can be useful. Starc, Hazelwood, Gillespie, Lee in the next level down imo, but all world class

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Gotta mention Cummins coming back from injury. I thought he was for the knackery, out of the game for 6 years or so with a rooted back yet made it back better than ever.

Of course Chaps will tell you that DK Lillee broke his spine in 67 places and came back: took 17 wickets, bonked 13 sheilas and sculled 187 schooners in his first test back.

King hit

Coach
Cummins is our best ever quick IMO. McGrath was also legendary and they're different bowlers, so it's a pretty even split and I don't disagree with anyone naming him the GOAT either.

But Cummins is doing this in the era of drop ins and roads and eight lb bats. And he's not a new ball bowler like Pidge was so he doesn't get the best of the pill usually either.

Granted the quality of batting is probably not what McGrath bowled at either. Another reason it's a tough split.
Cummins is a great but I just can’t go past McGrath. Wasn’t the fastest (from what I saw) but for line, length and accuracy you couldn’t get any better. Test bowling average of 21 is insanely good.

JJ

Immortal
Gotta mention Cummins coming back from injury. I thought he was for the knackery, out of the game for 6 years or so with a rooted back yet made it back better than ever.

Of course Chaps will tell you that DK Lillee broke his spine in 67 places and came back: took 17 wickets, bonked 13 sheilas and sculled 187 schooners in his first test back.
they both have that - Lillee missed about two years too plus the WSC stuff, and of course the medical tech wasn't what it is now...

McGrath and Lillee opening with Cummins first change would be ok lol

Fangs

Coach
Remember the attack guys like McGrath and Warne had around them. They worked in partnership.

Cummins is not alone he has good support. Just not the same as what we had in the golden era.

Tough choice but McGrath is ahead on wickets and economy. Also bigger match tallies. Only one 10 wicket haul ahead of Cummins but a lot more 8/9 wicket hauls. Still has time to catch up.

McGrath also has a better strike rate and average overseas. He was extremely consistent pretty much anywhere in the world and very potent in England. Wish he didn't step on that ball prior to the 2nd test in 2005. Could have been a very different series.

gUt

Coach
Ryan Harris/Stu Clarke/Mitch Johnson and Bananaman are at least as good as Kasper was.

Latest posts