What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v West Indies @ Adelaide Oval Jan 17-19, 2024

TheParraboy

Staff member
Here it is, the series we have all forgotten about and dont care about..

Id go Bancroft as Warners replacement solely based on being a gun in Shield recently

Safer team selection is to promote Green into the middle order, Marnus or Head to open

Other than that wouldn't be surprised if we unleash Feathers Morris

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Smith to open could actually be a thing, he hasn't ruled it out and might push him along.

Is Green the next best batsman?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Green will likely replace him in the team,

As to whom opens, god only knows atm

The question probabaly should be, who comes into the squad out of the 3 being heralded

King-Gutho94

Coach
The fact Smudge said he is open to the idea of going up the top.

Makes me think that's the plan internally to get Green into the team.

If thats the case the other 3 on the fringe don't really have the trust of the selectors to perform. And makes you wonder if they will get another crack at it under the current regime.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The other three all had chances and got dropped, although Bancroft for a different reason.

I think the fact that Green was retained in the squad even after the Bison was picked speaks volumes on how the selectors are thinking.

Bazal

Post Whore
Haaaaate the idea of manufacturing an opener. Classic 2 + 2 = 6 thinking

Renshaw for the moment. Give him til the end of next home summer, then if he's not back to some form see who's around.

Fangs

Coach
Burn me with JL I still want Labs.

The 3 batting position has a phallic nature to it in Australian cricket. Give it back to Smith and his super powers will return.

Selectors won't due to the 4 spot. Extra pressure for Head. And they would be reluctant to move Marsh up after finally finding his feet at this level.

Bet the selectors are also frothing over getting left/right hand at the top of the order. Probably why Green is seen as an option. But too early IMO. Are we going to chuck him if he fails in 2 tests? I'd rather pick one of the other 3 opening options as option B at this point.

simmo1

First Grade
If Smith moves to opener and rejuvenates his game Khawaja style, then he cements his spot as the best since Bradman (if he isn't already).

I can see the appeal from his perspective. He is scoring OK but is lacking his usual fluency. Perhaps the change of position helps him "find his hands" of whatever he usually goes on about.

PJ

First Grade
Open to all bar Harris. Bancroft has the runs over the few years and I believe Renshaw and Green have the ability to be top order Test players. Harris is a can and isn’t Test standard.

If they are serious when they say that form matters, Bancroft has been the leading shield scorer and is an opener so he gets a go for mine.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I would pick Bancroft, leading run scorer for the Shield but he doesnt seem to be favored, instead theyre looking at Smith and Green.

King-Gutho94

Coach