What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
Sigh.

Try reading what I wrote, then go back and look at the data. The 20k figure you're citing includes all of Melbourne's 2023 home games.

Not all Melbourne's 2023 home games were played at MRS.

Only nine were played at MRS in 2023 for an average of 17,072.

One of Melbourne's "home" games was played at Lang Park during Magic Round. It drew 50,183 on 6 May.

Another two games were played at Docklands. Those games averaged 23,639.

Don't take my word for it.

See for yourself.

Melbourne have been taking "home" games to Brisbane for years. It's how they boost their average.

They take one game a year to Brisbane. They have done this for at least a decade. It helps them boost their attendances.

In 2022 they took a "home" game against Penrith to Lang Park for Magic Round. That year they played 11 games at MRS for an average of 15,831.

In 2019 Melbourne played 11 games at MRS with an average attendance of 16,104.

They took a "home" game against Parramatta to Lang Park for Magic Round.

Before Magic Round began, Melbourne took an annual game to Lang Park. It was played alongside a Manly "home" game in a double header. In 2018 and 2017 Melbourne played the Titans at Lang Park as the "home" team.

In 2018 the Storm averaged 16,036 at MRS over 11 games.

In 2017 they averaged 16,034 at MRS over 11 games.

In 2016 the Storm took a home game against the Cowboys to Lang Park. That year they averaged 14,963 at MRS over 11 games.

Are you starting to see the picture yet?

Are you saying that a Melbourne team playing at a shit venue in inner Melbourne is the same as a Brisbane team playing at a shit venue 100km away on the Gold Coast?

That takes some mental gymnastics.

Bears didn't become a strong team until 1996. Storm were strong from the day they entered the NRL.

You are one doing the mental gymnastics mate. You are suggesting that a team that averaged 10k over its lifetime had greater support than a team that has averaged more. I don’t know why you are arguing this but that is what you are arguing.

Most importantly, has the Storm’s supporter base improved or not? You can avoid that question as much as you want but it seems like it has so that is all that’s really relevant yeah. It supports my argument and not yours.

Wasn’t their revenue $600 million last year and aren’t all these clubs viable now because of this grant - essentially the game could expand to anywhere they wish in Australia or New Zealand.

Rugby League as a sport isn’t the A-League or the ARU. The game is not destitute.
It doesn't matter how much money is generated is there's nothing left after all expenses are paid.

You can bet your arse that the 17 clubs, RLPA, QRL and NSWRL will want every cent that's available. They're not going to leave $3-4m aside for the WARL.

It's delusional to think they'll take a cut just so money can be pissed up a wall on an expansion project in Perth that'll take decades to bear fruit.

Colk

First Grade
It doesn't matter how much money is generated is there's nothing left after all expenses are paid.

You can bet your arse that the 17 clubs, RLPA, QRL and NSWRL will want every cent that's available. They're not going to leave $3-4m aside for the WARL.

It's delusional to think they'll take a cut just so money can be pissed up a wall on an expansion project in Perth that'll take decades to bear fruit.

Thanks for the high school business studies answer. I wasn’t aware of the concept of business.

Again mate the game isn’t destitute.

Also, who says that the clubs would be taking a cut unless you are suggesting that any extra team wouldn’t be generating extra TV revenue. They would have to be completely derelict to not get a decent TV increase through extra games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is bullshit. Storm spent more on their football department than every club bar the Broncos. The difference was the Broncos were able to pay their bills. Storm did what they've always done -- get some one else to pay their bills.

. The Storm has been overspending to the tune of between $2 million and $5 million for 15 years. This shortfall has been financed by News Ltd and the amount spent by the club does not seem to be falling since the salary cap scandal in 2010.
So news ltd spending $100mill on them is bs. Glad we cleared that up.

You are one doing the mental gymnastics mate. You are suggesting that a team that averaged 10k over its lifetime had greater support than a team that has averaged more. I don’t know why you are arguing this but that is what you are arguing.

Most importantly, has the Storm’s supporter base improved or not? You can avoid that question as much as you want but it seems like it has so that is all that’s really relevant yeah. It supports my argument and not yours.

You're creating a strawman and comparing apples with oranges.

It's disingenuous to argue that the six seasons the Bears were based on the Gold Coast is indicative of how much support they had in Brisbane. The four seasons the Bears played at the Gabba generated far more support.

You're also ignoring the elephant in the room. On field success. Melbourne were successful from the day they entered the NRL. Bears didn't have any success until 1995 and 1996. When the Bears finally tasted some success they generated an average of 18k fans at the Gabba in 1996. The Storm have had 25k years of success and never generated an average attendance of 18k at MRS. Bears didn't take home games to Melbourne to bump up their attendances, either. Melbourne have been taking games to Lang Park for years.

Look at how much support the Lions had 20 years ago when they went on a golden run. Crowds of 30k on a regular basis. They're far more embedded in Brisbane than the Storm are in Melbourne. In 2023 the Lions were watched by 48k people on FTA in Brisbane. Storm were watched by 30k people in Melbourne. It's not even close.

Maximus

Coach
So we've got wb1234 saying that merely being an NRL club is a "licence to print money", and every club and the NRL are making huge profits.

And now we've got donkey saying they are all poor and the NRL can't afford $3m.

Colk

First Grade
You're creating a strawman and comparing apples with oranges.

It's disingenuous to argue that the six seasons the Bears were based on the Gold Coast is indicative of how much support they had in Brisbane. The four seasons the Bears played at the Gabba generated far more support.

You're also ignoring the elephant in the room. On field success. Melbourne were successful from the day they entered the NRL. Bears didn't have any success until 1995 and 1996. When the Bears finally tasted some success they generated an average of 18k fans at the Gabba in 1996. The Storm have had 25k years of success and never generated an average attendance of 18k at MRS. Bears didn't take home games to Melbourne to bump up their attendances, either. Melbourne have been taking games to Lang Park for years.

Look at how much support the Lions had 20 years ago when they went on a golden run. Crowds of 30k on a regular basis. They're far more embedded in Brisbane than the Storm are in Melbourne. In 2023 the Lions were watched by 48k people on FTA in Brisbane. Storm were watched by 30k people in Melbourne. It's not even close.

Am I? All I’m pointing out is that audiences have grown for both yeah.

The Brisbane fumbleball side didn’t have great audiences when they started. Greater Western Sydney haven’t had great audiences so far. The Suns have struggled thus far. The Swans have had their troughs. Their audiences grew over time and will grow over time. It’s not because fumbleball is a better sport or there were some people who played fumbleball in QLD back in 1909 or some other bull**** excuse you want to come up. It’s partly due to migration yes but it is also down to the fact that they have simply invested time and money in those sides. That’s it.

You seem to be strangely contradicting yourself for whatever reason.

Canard

Immortal
So we've got wb1234 saying that merely being an NRL club is a "licence to print money", and every club and the NRL are making huge profits.

And now we've got donkey saying they are all poor and the NRL can't afford $3m.
It's worse then that, any cent not spent in Brisbane is a brain aneurysm of rage and bitterness.

mongoose

Coach
I swear GROTD is a closet AFL troll

Loves talking up AFL in QLD and NSW
Wants the Broncos dead
Wants the Storm dead
Wants no expansion outside of suburban Brisbane
Keeps insinuating the NRL is poor
Doesn't think it can get new fans

Maximus

Coach
I swear GROTD is a closet AFL troll

Loves talking up AFL in QLD and NSW
Wants the Broncos dead
Wants the Storm dead
Wants no expansion outside of suburban Brisbane
Keeps insinuating the NRL is poor
Doesn't think it can get new fans

He and wb1234 are the biggest afl fans on the forum. They both constantly argue that we can't have teams where afl existed first, because NRL could never win over people who like afl.

They have so little faith I'm the sport they claim to be the true fans of.

Iamback

Coach
His main argument is investing in perth is a bad roi

which I agree with

low hanging fruit in nz png and pacific

the nrl has the money to make perth a success

i just don’t think it’s a high priority

The Perth NRL team will drop $5m into the state and is better use because they can sell it better

Latest posts