What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

I swear GROTD is a closet AFL troll

Loves talking up AFL in QLD and NSW
Wants the Broncos dead
Wants the Storm dead
Wants no expansion outside of suburban Brisbane
Keeps insinuating the NRL is poor
Doesn't think it can get new fans
I'm not delusional like you and your buddies.

The other day you said Brisbane should have just two teams with a fifth Queensland side added to the Sunshine Coast. If you think a side on the Sunshine Coast will be financially viable then I don't know what to say. It's half the size of the Gold Coast with a much smaller business sector.

Your mate Perth Red reckons the NRL is poor. Go read the Media forum to see him predicting the game's death if it doesn't expand into Adelaide and Perth within a decade.

Perth Red

Post Whore
His main argument is investing in perth is a bad roi

which I agree with

low hanging fruit in nz png and pacific

the nrl has the money to make perth a success

i just don’t think it’s a high priority
Perth once had 10k people playing RL, its now got 4k. Its got twice the popualtion than it had then. Why would investing money to get more people playing RL in perth be a bad RoI for the game?

Perth Red

Post Whore

The other day you said Brisbane should have just two teams with a fifth Queensland side added to the Sunshine Coast. If you think a side on the Sunshine Coast will be financially viable then I don't know what to say. It's half the size of the Gold Coast with a much smaller business sector.

Your mate Perth Red reckons the NRL is poor. Go read the Media forum to see him predicting the game's death if it doesn't expand into Adelaide and Perth within a decade.
Ive never said its poor, I say its way behind the revenue of its main competitor. Its the second richest sport in the country. Id like to see it first.

Perth once had 10k people playing RL, its now got 4k. Its got twice the popualtion than it had then. Why would investing money to get more people playing RL in perth be a bad RoI for the game?
Fewer people are active these days. Kids are more interested in playing computer games and social media than playing sport.

Contact sports are struggling to recruit players due to the revelations about CTE.

It's not just rugby league feeling the pinch. Cricket in England has fewer people playing today than it did in the 1990s.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What would the money be spent on?

How will it benefit the game?

Hiring more development officers won't lead to more kids playing the game.
Of course it will: supporting growth in SHS program, supporting Jnr clubs costs so its cheaper to play RL, improving clubs facilities, marketing the game, more development officers in schools programs, better coach training, elite pathways teams in HM Ball, SG Ball and Fleg and so it goes on.

Or are you saying AFL's investment in NSW and Qlnd hasnt led to participation growth in those states?

If more funds dont equal better outcomes might as well stop giving QRL $20mill a year then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fewer people are active these days. Kids are more interested in playing computer games and social media than playing sport.

Contact sports are struggling to recruit players due to the revelations about CTE.

It's not just rugby league feeling the pinch. Cricket in England has fewer people playing today than it did in the 1990s.

60% drop? I dont think so. Neglecting a sport in a competitive sport market has direct impacts. That much is obvious.

mongoose

Coach

Sunshine coast has a larger population than Townsville and is about equal to Townsville + Cairns.

I wouldn't consider a Sunny Coast team until 2030 though....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depending on the level of stadium upgrade for the Olympics will be a key determinant in viability of a SC club you'd think? At moment its supposed to be 16k, possible 20k for Olympics with 8,500 them temp seating. It will only have 11,800 permanent seats which wouldnt be enough for an NRL club so would need further upgrades post Olympics but at least its a start.

Dragonwest

Juniors
And you want $3-4m to be wasted on junior clubs in Perth?

There's no guarantee that spending this money on local WA clubs will lead to more Western Australians playing rugby league.
Again WA have already had 10,000 players in the 90s when the pathway was there. Shifting ~4,000 to 10,000 participants by investing in pathways is a reasonable uptick in the overall country wide participation rate in the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again WA have already had 10,000 players in the 90s when the pathway was there. Shifting ~4,000 to 10,000 participants by investing in pathways is a reasonable uptick in the overall country wide participation rate in the game.
By 2000 the registrations had dropped below 1000 in WA. With some renewed vigor and investment they have got back up to 4000. Its not like there isnt evidence of what investment can do for participation and quality of outcome of sports!

Of course it will: supporting growth in SHS program, supporting Jnr clubs costs so its cheaper to play RL, improving clubs facilities, marketing the game, more development officers in schools programs, better coach training, elite pathways teams in HM Ball, SG Ball and Fleg and so it goes on.

Or are you saying AFL's investment in NSW and Qlnd hasnt led to participation growth in those states?

If more funds dont equal better outcomes might as well stop giving QRL $20mill a year then.
Registration costs for junior rugby league in WA are very low you dumbarse. Cost ain't the reason there's only 4.1k juniors across the state.

9c3d57bc-75c5-46b0-ae6b-74913ca2ca7b-jpeg.81494

In 2021 it cost $180 for a junior to play for the Joondalup Giants.

In Brisbane it costs $235 to play rugby league.

In Perth it cost $230 to play fumbleball. Over $500 to play soccer.

Providing better coaches won't lead to more people playing the game. It'll just provide the small pool of players with access to better coaches.

Sunshine coast has a larger population than Townsville and is about equal to Townsville + Cairns.

I wouldn't consider a Sunny Coast team until 2030 though....
So?

Rugby league isn't as popular on the Sunshine Coast as it is in Townsville. People who live on the Sunshine Coast have a preference for "surf culture".