What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

MugaB

Coach
The dragons selling that as a 2.3 m 3 year deal as if they’re paying him 760k a year isn’t fooling anyone

The only reason it’s 2.3m and not 2.7m is the cowboys have already paid 4 months of his salary for this year. I quite like Leilua as a player and wouldn’t have minded the Raiders getting him, but for a 900k price tag want someone better than him
Pfft Jealous

Victoire

Juniors
The dragons selling that as a 2.3 m 3 year deal as if they’re paying him 760k a year isn’t fooling anyone

The only reason it’s 2.3m and not 2.7m is the cowboys have already paid 4 months of his salary for this year. I quite like Leilua as a player and wouldn’t have minded the Raiders getting him, but for a 900k price tag want someone better than him
Only James Hooper reported that amount. Michael Carayannis debunked it a few days later and it is now being reported as a 3 year $1.8m contract. So $600k a year

Luciano Leilua’s St George Illawarra return is expected to be delayed until round three where he will face his former club North Queensland for the first time after he was hit with a breach notice by the NRL. Leilua will be rubbed out for two matches and he will be fined for his drink driving offence while still a North Queensland player.

It is understood Leilua failed to disclose the offence to the Cowboys or to the NRL’s integrity unit. The Dragons were aware that Leilua faced possible sanction when they formally signed him to a three-year contract earlier this month.

It means Leilua will miss the Dragons opening two games against the Titans and Dolphins. It also sets up Leilua’s round three return to be against the Cowboys when they travel to Kogarah.

The Dragons have paid Leilua about $600,000 a season to secure his services.

I wonder if releasing Leilua, now that news has broken that Cohen Hess is out for the season as his knee injury suffered on the weekend is a torn ACL, might come back to haunt the Cowboys?

nick87

Coach
Only James Hooper reported that amount. Michael Carayannis debunked it a few days later and it is now being reported as a 3 year $1.8m contract. So $600k a year

Luciano Leilua’s St George Illawarra return is expected to be delayed until round three where he will face his former club North Queensland for the first time after he was hit with a breach notice by the NRL. Leilua will be rubbed out for two matches and he will be fined for his drink driving offence while still a North Queensland player.

It is understood Leilua failed to disclose the offence to the Cowboys or to the NRL’s integrity unit. The Dragons were aware that Leilua faced possible sanction when they formally signed him to a three-year contract earlier this month.

It means Leilua will miss the Dragons opening two games against the Titans and Dolphins. It also sets up Leilua’s round three return to be against the Cowboys when they travel to Kogarah.

The Dragons have paid Leilua about $600,000 a season to secure his services.

he was reportedly on 900k contract at the Cowboys...So a 27 year old forward in the prime of his career has taken a 35% pay cut to join a struggling club.
Gotcha.

Big Pete

Referee
I wonder if releasing Leilua, now that news has broken that Cohen Hess is out for the season as his knee injury suffered on the weekend is a torn ACL, might come back to haunt the Cowboys?

I don't think so, Hess plays in the middle and the Cowboys have some quality prospects coming through in Nanai, Luki and Finefeauaki.

Their middles are concerning, both McLean and Taumalolo are struggling to play their best footy so Cotter is something of a one man band. If Mikaele can build on what he showed against the Raiders and if Neame can develop his game, it could prove to be a blessing in disguise.

Long term, the Cowboys have some quality young prospects coming through in Jamal Shibasaki, Kaiden Lahrs & Emarly Bitungane. We should see them at some point in 2024, but obviously it's too early to talk them up as difference makers.

Victoire

Juniors
he was reportedly on 900k contract at the Cowboys...So a 27 year old forward in the prime of his career has taken a 35% pay cut to join a struggling club.
Gotcha.
I'm sure you can provide these accurate reports. All I can find mentioned is a 3 year $2.2m deal which is just over $700k and which ended this year. An older player who was restricted to playing in Sydney per his own request getting a paycut? Entirely feasible

nick87

Coach
I'm sure you can provide these accurate reports. All I can find mentioned is a 3 year $2.2m deal which is just over $700k and which ended this year. An older player who was restricted to playing in Sydney per his own request getting a paycut? Entirely feasible

“The Cowboys farewelled troublesome forward Luciano Leilua last week, clearing $950,000 annually from the salary cap.”

Reactions: Vee

Vee

First Grade

We'll be just fine thanks, and even if we're not, we're still better off long term.
“The Cowboys farewelled troublesome forward Luciano Leilua last week, clearing $950,000 annually from the salary cap.”

Thank Christ for that. I wonder if we're paying part of his wage.

St Tangles

Bench
Saints are contributing 600K per year for the first 2 years.

Cows are contributing $350K for this year and next.

Tartak had increases aligned with the cap when they signed him.

3rd year is anyone's guess but the latest figures are 600K per year from Saints.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
A rumour floating around that Bea Arthur looking to bring Damien Cook to Parra, in case we get an injury in the backs and he can fill in at centre.