What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
Probably will have a couple of big soccer games with the Australian men/women and probably a few with other big soccer nations as well as semis

Thinking about it - were else will soccer be besides Gold Coast? I know in 2000 they had games around the country. Would have been a great chance to get some funding for a 20k rectangular stadium in the region and someone like Canberra could have pitched a new stadium to host some games

I believe the Sunshine Coast & Cairns upgrades were based on them playing some football and/or 7’s there. Toowoomba was there originally but got rejected.

Jetka100

Juniors
Most people in Brisbane would be happy with an upgrade to Suncorp, a new stadium at Vic Park and the Live Arena at Roma Parklands. And most of them aren’t AFL supporters or that small minded like some on here. No one wants an upgraded QSAC except maybe 10 people. Even Miles doesn’t want it, he just did it to wedge the opposition and try and get re-elected.

Most people in Brisbane would be happy with an upgrade to Suncorp, a new stadium at Vic Park and the Live Arena at Roma Parklands. And most of them aren’t AFL supporters or that small minded like some on here. No one wants an upgraded QSAC except maybe 10 people. Even Miles doesn’t want it, he just did it to wedge the opposition and try and get re-elected.
I want an updated QSAC. F^^k the Lions.

Canard

Immortal
Can you say AFL troll?

jim_57

Staff member

The option of both Suncorp & Victoria park was never on table. Victoria Park would chew up all stadium money for the Olympics and for the foreseeable future seeing as it was estimated to be the 2nd most expensive stadium ever built worldwide somehow.

Then after one week of athletics are over Brisbane has an extravagantly expensive oval that has zero community use, hardly ever gets filled and isn’t stealing any concerts or events off Sydney & Melbourne (like Taylor Swift). The cost of it then most likely means Suncorp, the stadium that is and will always be the cities most used stadium, doesn’t see a scrap of funding for quite some time.

It’s not the home run common sense option the media echo chamber is painting it as. Again the second most expensive stadium ever built, twice as expensive as Optus for a local recent example, for 5k less seats.

Brisbane has a chance to do it their way but some people can’t or just don’t want to see past the trail of oval white elephants the Olympics has left in the past as some kind of tradition that can never change. If Brisbane can make a success of having a rectangular stadium as the face of the games and using a more modest oval option for the week of athletics you can bet other potential hosts will take notice.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The option of both Suncorp & Victoria park was never on table. Victoria Park would chew up all stadium money for the Olympics and for the foreseeable future seeing as it was estimated to be the 2nd most expensive stadium ever built worldwide somehow.

Then after one week of athletics are over Brisbane has an extravagantly expensive oval that has zero community use, hardly ever gets filled and isn’t stealing any concerts or events off Sydney & Melbourne (like Taylor Swift). The cost of it then most likely means Suncorp, the stadium that is and will always be the cities most used stadium, doesn’t see a scrap of funding for quite some time.

It’s not the home run common sense option the media echo chamber is painting it as. Again the second most expensive stadium ever built, twice as expensive as Optus for a local recent example, for 5k less seats.

Brisbane has a chance to do it their way but some people can’t or just don’t want to see past the trail of oval white elephants the Olympics has left in the past as some kind of tradition that can never change. If Brisbane can make a success of having a rectangular stadium as the face of the games and using a more modest oval option for the week of athletics you can bet other potential hosts will take notice.
How can it cost more than double optus? Has stadium construction really doubled in ten years?

mongoose

Coach
most people in Brisbane are probably more concerned with how they're going to pay their rent or mortgage, except for the droves of old merkins from Victoria that are up here.

docbrown

Coach

Indeed. And people need to keep in mind that most of the world doesn't actually play oval-ground sports and athletics events outside of the Olympics have meagre attendances. It's really only a handful of countries that get any benefit out of having a massive oval stadium. Making it work with a Rectangular Stadium will change the dynamic. I still say let's just figure out how to tear up a couple of rows of seats at the GABBA, ram in the athletics track and forget about QSAC altogether. Give that QSAC money to Suncorp too.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I had a somewhat heated discussion with an AFL fan of a colleague yesterday. He's generally an insufferable guy - and acquaintances with Eddie Mcguire, which tells you all that you need to know. He often tells me of dinners they've had in Greece etc. Sometimes the stories are so romantic that I asked him if they've kissed. But I digress.

He was very quick to tell me that the Gabba sold out 6 events last year - I didn't fact check his initial claim, but he didn't appreciate it when I told him that two of them were Broncos games (v Dolphins and Eels). And while we had to play at the Gabba, Suncorp was sold out for nearly every Womens World Cup game. Bless.

The kicker -- the knob moved to Brisbane to ESCAPE the Victorian lockdowns and is now moving BACK to Melbourne because he can't cope with the Brisbane summers, but wants the Lions to end up with a new stadium because he's been there three years and believes that he "understands the identity and fabric of Brisbane more than most". I then quizzed him with some Brisbane folklore and he failed that too of course. The bald merkin tried this while in a Brisbane meeting room, so a pile on ensued. So satisfying.

These people are absolutely cooked, and while generalisations can be harmful, the AFL fans that try to tell us that we are fearful of AFL are pathetic. The AFL is sooooo irrelevant in Brisbane - the Lions suffered a pretty heartbreaking defeat in last years GF and the city barely responded. Yet we are still in mourning from the Broncos collapse. Just stay in Melbourne and circle jerk at the MCG, we don't care about your white linen, cashmere scarves, and north face puffer jackets.

Wb1234

Referee
I had a somewhat heated discussion with an AFL fan of a colleague yesterday. He's generally an insufferable guy - and acquaintances with Eddie Mcguire, which tells you all that you need to know. He often tells me of dinners they've had in Greece etc. Sometimes the stories are so romantic that I asked him if they've kissed. But I digress.

He was very quick to tell me that the Gabba sold out 6 events last year - I didn't fact check his initial claim, but he didn't appreciate it when I told him that two of them were Broncos games (v Dolphins and Eels). And while we have to play at the Gabba, Suncorp was sold out for nearly every Womens World Cup game. Bless.

The kicker -- the knob moved to Brisbane to ESCAPE the Victorian lockdowns and is now moving BACK to Melbourne because he can't cope with the Brisbane summers, but wants the Lions to end up with a new stadium because he's been there three years and believes that he "understands the identity and fabric of Brisbane more than most". I then quizzed him with some Brisbane folklore and he failed that too of course. The bald merkin tried this while in a Brisbane meeting room, so a pile on ensued. So satisfying.

These people are absolutely cooked, and while generalisations can be harmful, the AFL fans that try to tell us that we are fearful of AFL are pathetic. The AFL is sooooo irrelevant in Brisbane - the Lions suffered a pretty heartbreaking defeat in last years GF and the city barely responded. Yet we are still in mourning from the Broncos collapse. Just stay in Melbourne and circle jerk at the MCG, we don't care about your white linen, cashmere scarves, and north face puffer jackets.
So they are counting the league games in their sell outs

so dope on twitter said six sellouts and I couldn’t find them when I went to austadiums

jim_57

Staff member
What’s left to do in Sydney ? We got most of it already without tying up the gf including over 100 million for coe

I was suggesting a few grand finals for qld not every year

Accor 75k+ rectangular rebuild. Newcastle and/or Wollongong upgrades, a solution for Bulldogs & Tigers (Accor or Liverpool?), Brookvale. Cronulla & Kogarah unlikely to get much or anything for different reasons.

How can it cost more than double optus? Has stadium construction really doubled in ten years?

No idea. All the prices quoted seemed to have jumped the shark.

From what I’ve read they plan to release more details on costing & what upgrades each stadium will get mid-year.

Wb1234

Referee
Accor 75k+ rectangular rebuild. Newcastle and/or Wollongong upgrades, a solution for Bulldogs & Tigers (Accor or Liverpool?), Brookvale. Cronulla & Kogarah unlikely to get much or anything for different reasons.

From what I’ve read they plan to release more details on costing & what upgrades each stadium will get mid-year.
Dogs have their own stadium application with state govt for approval

accor is fine for origin and grand finals as is

Clubs games will end there eventually

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

He was very quick to tell me that the Gabba sold out 6 events last year - I didn't fact check his initial claim, but he didn't appreciate it when I told him that two of them were Broncos games (v Dolphins and Eels). And while we had to play at the Gabba, Suncorp was sold out for nearly every Womens World Cup game. Bless.

Ease up shagger, not all of us bald people are cooked.

nko11

Juniors

The whole Quirk report and it's costings seem a bit ify. For example the Carrara option findings:
1711155818518.png
Costed at $461 million to temporarily upgrade it to 40k. Except we had the Comm games at Carrara in 2018 and as far as I can find it only cost $6 million to temporarily upgrade it to 35k.

1711156061562.png

For the relocation of the Olympic village - Construction or purchasing hasn't even been done yet as no funds have been allocated. So it's really just transferring funds down there, net cost wouldn't be too different you wouldn't think, maybe even less with Carrara land values being lower than Brisbane City. And don't tell me theres not enough room. Around Carrara itself theres plenty (and was the initial plan for the Comm games village), let alone what they could do with the already planned Robina village. Some densification around Nerang Station certainly wouldn't hurt our PT usage rates.
1711156562023.png
In terms of Public Transport; It seemed to cope pretty well during the Commonwealth games. Theres only been upgrades since e.g. Cross River Rail, Highway upgrades. Can't really see much difference from 35k for Comm games to 40k for the Olympics. If you needed to, just build couple of bus lanes from Nerang station to Carrara. Would be useful for future events as well.

Also with Carrara being REQUIRED to host T20 games, I think it's a fair tradeoff to host the Athletics and have the T20 played at any number of cricket grounds around the country, just as the football is.

To me it seems they had the option they wanted in mind during the whole report and gave the numbers and recommendation they thought would get it over the line (with some extra $$$ to gold plate it). Makes me question all of the figures given in the report. If the report gave $100 million for Carrara and $600 million for QSAC, with a large portion of that providing legacy benefits for Athletics, the coversations would be alot different.

Purely speculation, but the way both political parties have came out strongly against new stadium builds, it would not surprise me if the IOC has got into their ear and reminded them that part of these Olympics was the low cost model with building of cheaper Athletics stadiums and greater use of exisiting Rectangular stadiums. The amount of extra bids the Olympics would get if they offered the option of spending lower amounts on Oval stadiums and greater use of existing large rectangular stadiums, like what 90% of the world has in place already. There's only an Olympics every 4 years, so to show future bidders, they need to do it in these games.

Last edited:

Latest posts