What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Rod

Bench
I do think the Bunker system has been worse this year compared to last. I can't put my finger on a specific reason but we appear to be entering territory, especially with the challenge system, where one person's interpretation can differ a lot from anothers for things like disruptors, strips and knock ons.

If we take the knock ons as an example, for 100 years we all knew what a knock on looked like, but now we have the technology to tell whether a ball went backwards (most of the time) or not, and as a result the definition of a knock on has become more literal.

My concern is that all this is starting to look like union, where they have butchered the flow of the game by constantly going back and looking for reasons not to give tries.

Maximus

Coach
I do think the Bunker system has been worse this year compared to last. I can't put my finger on a specific reason but we appear to be entering territory, especially with the challenge system, where one person's interpretation can differ a lot from anothers for things like disruptors, strips and knock ons.

It's because they change interpretations every week so nobody has a clue what a decision should be in any given week.

MugaB

Coach

If we take the knock ons as an example, for 100 years we all knew what a knock on looked like, but now we have the technology to tell whether a ball went backwards (most of the time) or not, and as a result the definition of a knock on has become more literal.

My concern is that all this is starting to look like union, where they have butchered the flow of the game by constantly going back and looking for reasons not to give tries.
Russell crowe brought up a very interesting fact about RL and its rules when talking about trying to showcase RL in Vegas, he noted that Americans are very much into their stats, and are very fickle when it comes to rulings, especially if they have bet on them, we are way too laid back with our interpretations, and the classic "rub of the green" moments won't stick over there, where here we are over it within the next 5 mins of play, there was always going to be a new interpretation of rules to fine tune what is or what isnt acceptable anymore, those knock ons/backs seem to be the more obvious ones, I'm fairly sure there is a push towards more black and white ruling for that reason (international veiwership) pvl wants to make it more clearer rather than what we are used to

Canard

Immortal
Russell crowe brought up a very interesting fact about RL and its rules when talking about trying to showcase RL in Vegas, he noted that Americans are very much into their stats, and are very fickle when it comes to rulings, especially if they have bet on them, we are way too laid back with our interpretations, and the classic "rub of the green" moments won't stick over there, where here we are over it within the next 5 mins of play, there was always going to be a new interpretation of rules to fine tune what is or what isnt acceptable anymore, those knock ons/backs seem to be the more obvious ones, I'm fairly sure there is a push towards more black and white ruling for that reason (international veiwership) pvl wants to make it more clearer rather than what we are used to
You clearly haven't watched any American sports if you think there is no grey areas or outright controversy in there officiating.

MugaB

Coach
You clearly haven't watched any American sports if you think there is no grey areas or outright controversy in there officiating.
I have, its just about being clear rulings from day one, otherwise they'll lose interest, if they keep seeing howlers

MugaB

Coach
What a suprise that the Panthers escaped the most obvious Sin Bin all season, and at a time when the Tigers were in the ascendancy.

Pure coincidence obviously

Yesterdays news bro.....
Pretty sure we got the rub of the green, after seizer tackled our halfback during a kick, which is an obvious penalty

Canard

Immortal
I have, its just about being clear rulings from day one, otherwise they'll lose interest, if they keep seeing howlers
There is all sorts of howlers in American sports, all the time.

It would also be absolutely ridiculous for us to supposedly change the rules to cater for a market that is <0.5% of our total fanbase.

MugaB

Coach
There is all sorts of howlers in American sports, all the time.

It would also be absolutely ridiculous for us to supposedly change the rules to cater for a market that is <0.5% of our total fanbase.
Not completely change them just define them better, that's where I see some of those rules regarding knock backs

Canard

Immortal
Yesterdays news bro.....
Pretty sure we got the rub of the green, after seizer tackled our halfback during a kick, which is an obvious penalty
No body at the NRL wants to admit it, but the big clubs get the calls go there way.

Always have, always will.

Canard

Immortal
Not completely change them just define them better, that's where I see some of those rules regarding knock backs
The knock on/ knock back is a non- issue in my mind and purely an invention of the whiny commentators.

Those calls where totally uncontroversial.

MugaB

Coach
The knock on/ knock back is a non- issue in my mind and purely an invention of the whiny commentators.

Those calls where totally uncontroversial.
Really? so the one where manly Tommy talua knocks on, but they play on, scores the try, refs happy to call it a knock back, it was clearly knocked on, .... rub of the green

Canard

Immortal
When did Penrith become a big club, and how did they get there with all the calls going against them?
That was the most obvious Sin Bin all season. It was even reviewed by the bunker and still ignored.

It was blatant bias towards one team

Canard

Immortal
Really? so the one where manly Tommy talua knocks on, but they play on, scores the try, refs happy to call it a knock back, it was clearly knocked on, .... rub of the green
You're eyes must be painted on if you think that was knocked on.

That was a non issue clearly created by the Commentators.

Check your Panther bias bro

Latest posts