What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W.A.R.L. Results '08

Nuke

Staff member
First-Grade:
Rockingham got 2 very late tries (in the final few minutes in fact) to beat Joondalup 28-21. Giants got to the lead 21-20 just prior to the Sharks couple of tries.

North Beach flogged Kalgoorlie 92-12.
South Perth beat Central 46-18.
Fremantle beat Willagee 44-20.

Premier-Grade:
Rockingham beat Joondalup 28-6. Score would've been a lot worse (for Joondalup I mean) had Rockingham managed to kick any goals.

I don't know the rest of the Premier-Grade scores.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=3113&oid=

SHARKS WIN IN LAST MINUTES
In the battle of north versus south, Rockingham Sharks stumbled to a 28 to 21 win over Joondalup Giants. After going out early to establish a 16 to nil lead in the first half, the Sharks looked to have control and on their way to a comfortable win. To their credit the Giants fought back strongly to level the game mid way through the second half at 20 all.
With the final whistle getting closer, Joondalup chose to take a field goal and a one point lead which should have sealed the game. However in a remarkable final few minutes the Sharks ran in two tries and turned the game back to take the points . Dale Christy of the Sharks was best on ground.
Leading from the start Fremantle Roosters easily accounted for Willagee Bears 44 to 20. Captain Ben Milby was the best payer for the Roosters with a try and 3 goals while Tynan Smith ran over 4 tries for the day.
North Beach Sea Eagles showed too much class for Kalgoorlie Brothers and dished out a 92 to 12 thumping at Charles Riley Reserve. It was a welcome return to form for last year’s premiers. James McGowan led the scoring with 2 tries and 6 goals and was supported by 3 tries each to Sam Lofts and Scott Cherry and 2 tries to Tyron Cranstone.
South Perth Lions continued their unbeaten run with a 46 to 18 win against Central Bulldogs. With nine individual try scorers for the Lions, they did not miss their senior players who are representing Australia overseas.
Michael Guthrie scored another five goals for the Lions with the best player being Josh Sondergeld and the Bulldogs best was Robert Sharp.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=3142&oid=

North Beach Sea Eagles were upstaged by Fremantle Roosters for much of their game before converting a penalty kick from 50 metres to win 20 to 19.
The Roosters were in front for all but the time that counted going out to an 18 – 6 lead before the Sea Eagles started their comeback in the second half clawing back to an 18 all score line with 7 minutes to go.
Ben Milby in an effort to break the deadlock kicked a field goal for a one point lead before North Beach managed to scramble in with the final penalty goal to win the game.
Best for Fremantle were Peda Bayne and Tashi Harrower and for the Sea Eagles, Ben Dickson.
Central Bulldogs returned to the winning list with a hard fought and physical game against Rockingham Sharks ending up with a 30 to 22 win. The game was close throughout with the Bulldogs holding a 14 to 8 half time lead and the teams going toe to toe and still locked at 22 all with about ten minutes to go.
With a couple of easy tries, one from a knock on close the line, the Bulldogs finished with eight unanswered points to hold out the Sharks.
Best for the Bulldogs included Paratene Waikari and Josh Benjamin with Martin Meadows and Peter Worth the best for the Sharks.
South Perth Lions continued their winning way with a big win against the bottom of the table Willagee Bears with a final score of 66 to 4.
The Lions were still without their national representatives and proved far too strong for the Bears. Clint Frazer led nine different try scorers with three tries and Shannon Coleman and Jack Greenwood had two each.
Joondalup took two points without taking the field after Kalgoorlie Brothers were forced to forfeit their game because of the shortage of players available. It was a disappointment for both sides and due to the fallout of the state’s gas explosion, making work commitments for players a priority.
http://www.communitynews.com.au/ContactUs/PressReleaseSubmission/tabid/87/Default.aspx

Nuke

Staff member
I was talking to a referee/touchie at the juniors day at Admiral yesterday, and he was telling me that penalty goal from North Beach was kicked from about 40m out and after the final siren. Their usual kicker was visibly nervous about taking the shot, so he handed it to another player to kick the winning goal!

He'd better be hoping he's not needed to kick a similar goal in a Grand Final!

Alehana

Juniors
f*** thats a big kick, i used to kick when i played rugby, just got 1 ? (i've never seen a league ball apart from tv) but are they much different to union 1's and do most kickers in the league kick with the ball 90 degrees or more of an angle like they do nowadays in nrl?

Nuke

Staff member
League and union balls are pretty well the same as far as I'm aware. I'm pretty sure I was told the kick was from 40m out, but I may be wrong about that.

As far as kickers go, I haven't paid any attention as to how they kick the ball. Everyone would have their own style they're comfortable with I guess ...

Alehana

Juniors
yeh true, i'm just comparing to what i see on tv, and notice that union kickers have the ball 90 degrees (which is what i always did) and league kickers had the ball on an angle (so i thought the balls must be different) cause i tried the angle kick with a union ball and hated it.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
did u used to toe punt the ball? because kicking on an angle with the front inside edge of ur boot is way more acurate

b0rt

Juniors
union balls are slightly fatter and slightly easier to kick (distance- and height-wise) to my knowledge

joondalup_giant

Staff member
rugbyball-740373.jpg

286.png

look fairly similar 2 me but the yawnion ball looks slightly more rounded

Alehana

Juniors
yeh league balls would be much easier to plass further that union, but union could kick better as its more like a soccer ball (in comparrison) haha yawnion.

b0rt

Juniors
I was talking to a referee/touchie at the juniors day at Admiral yesterday, and he was telling me that penalty goal from North Beach was kicked from about 40m out and after the final siren. Their usual kicker was visibly nervous about taking the shot, so he handed it to another player to kick the winning goal!

He'd better be hoping he's not needed to kick a similar goal in a Grand Final!

tyrone has only turned 18 at the start of the season so fair enough if he was a bit nervous! he got one from the sideline not long before to level the scores before the field goal, i imagine that had plenty of pressure too! he was nervous and didnt think he could make the distance as it was about 40 out and off to the side a bit so about 50 all up
big week for deciding penalties on the NRL too

joondalup_giant

Staff member
NORTH BEACH BREAL LIONS RUNThe top of the table clash between the previously unbeaten South Perth Lions and North Beach Sea Eagles saw the Sea Eagles score a 32 to 12 win. It was a big reversal of form for both sides and sets the scene for a good final series between the two rivals.
After a tight struggle in the first half and a 10 to 8 lead at half time, North Beach came out firing in the second to quickly go to a 28 to 10 lead and all but put out any challenge from the Lions. Fullback Ben Lindegaard for North was best afield with Nathan Jones also playing well while South Perth’s best was Jack Greenwood.
Rockingham Sharks hosted Kalgoorlie Brothers at Lark Hill and ended up winning a close match 32 to 22. Kalgoorlie held the lead for most of the game with a good brand of football forcing the home side into errors. It was not until the final 10 minutes that the Sharks found their form and pushed across 2 tries to go the lead. With scorers spread across the field, the best for Rockingham were Jordan Ross and Sam Jacobson.
In the battle for fourth position Fremantle Roosters beat Central Bulldogs 22 – 12 to draw level with them on the ladder. The Roosters held an 8 to 4 lead after an aggressive first half with penalties giving them the edge. The Bulldogs had their chances but ball errors let them down close to the line. In the second half, Central pushed hard but could not get close enough to threaten the Roosters. Ryan Foster and Tashi Harrower were in the best for the Roosters with Tim Cook and Robert Sharp playing well for the Bulldogs.
Joondalup Giants took on Willagee Bears in the curtain raiser to the WA Reds at Members Equity Stadium and ran out easy winners 52 to 8. The Bears pushed early and looked like they were going to impress but faded after putting eight points on the board. From the 10 minute mark the Giants took control for a 38 to 8 half time lead and went on to control the game. Best players for the Giants included Macey Howarth and Jeremy Browne with Sean Terrell the best for the Bears.

from the WARL site, by the way the part in the article about Central V Freo being the battle for 4th spot is incorrect, even if Fremantle Won and Joondalup lost the bulldogs would still be 2 points clear in fourth spot with freo tied with us in 5th.

Nuke

Staff member
And to add to that, Joondalup vs Willagee Premier-Grade was won by Joondalup 52-20 and the Womens Grade was won by Willagee 16-10 I think the final score was.

I don't know what the other results and scores were for the other Premier-Grade and Womens Grade games though. It probably has them on the WARL website, either now or in a day or two (www.warugbyleague.com.au),

joondalup_giant

Staff member
http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=3227&oid=

Fremantle Roosters won a nail biter in the goldfields over Kalgoorlie Brothers winning 34 to 32 after a try in the dying seconds of the game to level the score, then the conversion from out wide which gave them the win.
The Roosters were still 14 points down with 15 minutes to go and showed great character to force there way back to the front. Tynan Smith with 3 tries and Brad Gibson and Clayton Robinson were best for Fremantle.
Joondalup Giants were no match for South Perth Lions but still showed a good fight before going down 24 to 54. With a half time lead of 30 to 6 the Lions looked to have another game in the bag, but were jolted back by the Giants early in the second half. The Giants put on a quick 3 tries early in the second but were unable to push any further.
Michael Guthrie had another good game with a try and 7 goals and was supported by Billy Barford and John Crawford with 2 tries each.
With a 42 to 12 final score the North Beach Sea Eagles appeared easy winners over Central Bulldogs, but the game did not reflect the result. From early in the first half both sides showed a lot of feeling and it looked like it was going to go the distance with a 16 to 12 half time score. The game had 2 send offs it was still tight up until the 20 minutes mark of the second half.
Best players for North Beach were Rick Williams, Glen Godecke and Ben Lindegaard. James Igasan, Adam Scari and Tim Cook were the better players for the Bulldogs.
Rockingham Sharks took the points from Willagee Bears after a forfeit was called by the visitors.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/news/?page=3&nid=3244&oid=

SOUTHS & FREO CELEBRATE 60 YEARS
In a match celebrating the first official game of rugby league in WA which was played between South Perth and Fremantle 60 years ago, the Lions ran out winners 54 to 18 with both side wearing their original strip.
South Perth continued their form for the season and were never challenged by the Roosters who have been in good touch up until today.
Multiple goal scorers included three each Ben McCrone and David Collis who was his sides best with Brad Gibson and Clayton Robinson doing well for Fremantle.
Willagee Bears broke through for the first win of the season beating Kalgoorlie Brothers 27 to 20. The home side broke away early and were well placed till Kalgoorlie forced their way back into the game in the second half. The Bears then settled and held out to win.
Best players for Willagee included Craig Madden, Joel Daffin and Josh Parker.
In a close and tough game North Beach Sea Eagles defeated Rockingham Sharks 18 to 10 courtesy of a last minute try which provide a bonus 6 points to the Sea Eagles.
The first half saw most of play with North Beach and the half time score of 8 – 6 it did not reflect the amount of time they had with the ball. Tyron Cranston scored the first try at the 10 minute mark and was backed up with another try by Dustin Hume at 35 minutes.
After an all in brawl and penalty awarded to the Sharks at the 30 minute mark, Jordan Ross ran over a try which was converted to give them the lead for a short time.
Best player on the field was Tyron Cranston for North Beach.
Joondalup Giants had a big win against Central Bulldogs taking out the game 48 to 28. The Bulldogs were unable to offer a challenge but still are looking to hold their position in the top five due to their points aggregate. Joondalup have given themselves a chance to get in the five but must win against Rockingham next week. Ben Matthews and David Kingi had good games for the Giants with Robert Sharp the best for the Bulldogs.

Latest posts