What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make Turvey commish - Jones

bartman

Immortal
Alan Jones... not someone you'd want on your side imo...

But Turvey would make a good nomination.

OVP

Coach
Totally agree with Jones (probably for the very first time ever lol). Turvey would be my pick for sure. Mick Cronin, Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga (when he retires from origin coaching), Brad Clyde would also be good choices to help out as well.

I'd be happy to see Turvey and Jones on the board to be honest, Jones may have his haters but he is a very astute man and knows what works and what doesn't.

Fein

First Grade
jones - no way

has no idea how to run a club

Exactly, he knows f**k all about football and in my opinion he virtually ruined both Balmain and Souths with his stints at each club.

He was also way off the mark when it came to the privatisation vote at Souths, backing the losers to the hilt in spite of all sorts of balanced opinion.

I do agree with him that Mortimer would be a good choice on the commission but as the article illustrates, Mortimer ha been calling for this for a while now so it's just a classic case of Jones stating the obvious.

fred92

Juniors
Make Turvey commish - Jones
ADRIAN PROSZENKO

December 13, 2009
mortimercrop-200x0.jpg
Steve Mortimer.

html,body { border: 0px; }RADIO king Alan Jones has hailed Steve Mortimer as a ''partial architect'' of rugby league's administrative overhaul and has called for the Bulldogs great to be appointed to its new independent commission.
Mortimer brokered a secret meeting between Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle and Jones at 2GB's studios last month to discuss the direction of the game under a new governing body.
Jones left it convinced Mortimer, a long-time agitator for an independent commission, should be appointed as one of the new body's eight commissioners.
''I would like to see someone like Steve Mortimer there,'' Jones told The Sun-Herald. ''He has the game's best interests at heart and he's completely objective. He's not interested in any benefit to himself in any of this.
''I don't think Mortimer would be compromised by being on such a [body]. He has no affiliation with anyone and the fact he's a former player gives him great perspective.
''He's a thinker and he's been a partial architect in all of this.
''He's the kind of person who would be of tremendous benefit to new people coming on board.''
Mortimer has spent three years working behind the scenes on the formation of an independent commission. Told of Jones's comments, the former NSW and Australian halfback said: ''It's very flattering for Alan to say that.
''I've never sought anything from this process personally other than to see the game flourish.
''I'm not looking for any personal gain or involvement, although I'm happy to do anything to help. My only motive is to see rugby league realise its full potential.''
The momentum for an independent commission has stalled in recent days. It was hoped the ARL - a part owner of the NRL, along with News Ltd - would sign off on the formation of a commission at last week's board meeting. However, the ARL, citing the need to protect grassroots development, called for further negotiations.
Jones, a passionate Queensland Origin supporter and former first-grade league coach, said it was time for action.
''The time for talk is over,'' he said. ''The whole game is top-heavy with administration. There are ARLs, NRLs, QRLs, CRLs - you don't have that kind of bureaucracy at BHP.
''If you do what you did last year, you get last year's results.
''There are challenges for [all football codes] and AFL is responding. But I have a feeling that if we don't get out of the blocks we'll be left behind.''

Bloody hell, even Alan Jones is making sense!! Why not the QRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Turvey and Meninga for me from the passion for the game side then some very strong business minded people and finally a couple of heavy hitters in the corproate and political worlds would be ideal. Oh and a CEO with some leadership ability and the trust of the fans would be nice.

Loudstrat

Coach
Turvey sounds like a good chice - underneath the spin though (by Jones - enough reason to kill the idea) is that we have a bloke who was punted as CEO of a club during a huge scandal.

fred92

Juniors
Turvey spells passion and not one ounce of self-interest.

He'd do me
Whoever is chosen as board members or commissioner to run Rugby League must have no affiliation past or present with any Australian leagues club. I remember the days of Ken Arthurson and his stranglehold of the game to the benefit of his Manly club. Fans dont want to travel down that path again. Power does corrupt.

Brutus

Referee
Exactly, he knows f**k all about football and in my opinion he virtually ruined both Balmain and Souths with his stints at each club.

He was also way off the mark when it came to the privatisation vote at Souths, backing the losers to the hilt in spite of all sorts of balanced opinion.

I do agree with him that Mortimer would be a good choice on the commission but as the article illustrates, Mortimer ha been calling for this for a while now so it's just a classic case of Jones stating the obvious.

Put Alan Jones and Singo on the commission and give 2GB the radio rights for life.

Quidgybo

Bench
Whoever is chosen as board members or commissioner to run Rugby League must have no affiliation past or present with any Australian leagues club. I remember the days of Ken Arthurson and his stranglehold of the game to the benefit of his Manly club. Fans dont want to travel down that path again. Power does corrupt.
The problem with that is that it pretty much excludes anyone born of the game with an undisputed passion for the game. I think it's enough that any Commissioner holds no other position within the game at the time of their nomination or during their tenure. Combine that with the requirement that nominees have the support of 75% of clubs and you're pretty much assured that we won't get anyone nominated as part of a kickback deal with their current employer or who is financially beholden to any one club. And anyone with a history of strong partisanship towards one club will never muster 75% support. There are plenty of great people within the RL world capable of putting aside their personal biases and looking at the bigger picture of what is good for the game. We just want to weed out the John Ribots and Dennis Fitzgeralds.

Leigh

Brutus

Referee

Yet Vlad Demetriou is a former Nth Melbourne player and, if anything, does nothing to enhance his former club from what I've heard.

Anyone who has seen/heard Mortimer talk in the media over the past year or so would recognise that he has the game, and the game only at heart.

Loudstrat

Coach

So the commission should have people who don't give a rats about the game. :lol:

If Arko was there to give Manly supreme help, then he failed miserably. 18-6 and 21-8 - with a test pack and a crooked ref. If only Cronulla had those "advantages" :lol: